She touched it, she touched it, she touched it!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
This for all of you who heard about my plasticphobia horse Ferrah.

With some help from the massage therapist/acupuncturist, usinga combination of TTouch, traditional massage and acupuncture, along with some goo dtraining, patience, love, understanding a round pen and two John Lyons videos, we got Ferrah to TOUCH a plastic bag!

She still snorts up a storm if the plastic bag rustles too much, and she is still pretty goosey with it. But we got Ferrah to actually walk up to a tied down plastic bag in the middle of the round pen and touch it. It was amazing! She did run away right after she touched it, but hey, its a start!

My riding instructor and the massage therapist say it won't be too long before we can rub her with the plastic bags. She is coming along very nicely.

We'd never tried the round penning before to get her to touch the plastic, so maybe it was just something in her past or her training that needed to be undone?

Have you considered separating the two problems- the noise and the sight?? You can get ear plugs for horses- I know you can, but do not know where- I would think a trainer rather than a Vet?? And then show her the bag without the noise. Also, tape the noise and play it back to her in an open area- just leave it playing??

This is real progress, though, considering what she was like!!

That is just terrific!
aktion033.gif
I love Jane's idea. You can try big coton balls if she'll let you. many a show horse is unable to take the noise and gets spooky so many do use cotton. Taping the noise is a wonderful idea. Put it on a CD that will continuous play and that should help desensitize her if it is the noise. Not close but outside the ring. See...slow and calm gets it done.

OH Ferrah you goofy horse.

Gotta love the old gal..........let's just not give her a heart attack.
wub.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I dare to say my big mare was as crazy or more than yours about plastic until she found that her treats only come out of a crinkly plastic bag. She's very food driven.

She went ballistic for about 3-4 times but now when she hears or sees a plastic bag it's ears up and expecting goodies. She doesn't even mind being rubbed on with the bag now, but I still havent' gotten her to accept it on her ears. I don't think it will be long until she does.

Next week is umbrellas
biggrin.gif

Yes the round pen does work as you are seeing. I have seen it done and have also did things like this myself when it came to horses being afraid of plastic. Keep up the good work.

That is fantastic news!!!! Sounds like you are making progress - I'm so proud of her!!!!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back