sharing a 10x10 stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MySweetElegance

Reaction score
sorry to ask another question but i was wondering if Elegance and Captian (after he is gelded of corse) could share a stall i was wanting to but up a diveder so i could contorl the food intake and safty is it possible to do that??

Last edited by a moderator:
My humble opinion is that is too small for anyone to be sharring. I tried it in my old barn when I had a 14 X 14 with 2 yearlings and one of them was getting both their grains and also being nasty dominant over the other, backing her in a corner all the time and hogging everything so that didn't work more than a couple of minutes. Way too stressful for them. No one could eat in peace or relax.

I tried it again for about 5 seconds with my 2 weener fillies and that didn't work either and was really bad thinking on my part. Had to build!

My stalls in the main barn are 10 X 10 stalls and all do have removable dividers and they can be made to be 10 X 20 or 30 or 40 etc. as many dividers as I want to take out.

I have had a mare and foal in a 12X12 and I have kept two yearling fillies together in a 12X12 stall... and that is a TIGHT fit. Urine spots are troublesome (dirt floor) and if the horses don't get along, it's NOT good.

I think a 10X10 is too small. Even if they get out regularly, that is just good enough for one horse to live in...

Andrea

Well Im gonna be the WRONG ANSWER person here, lol I have 5 minis who share a night paddock with 2 full size nubian goats and they have sepearte shelters but ALL 5 minis and both goats share ( by there choice ) a 12 x 12 stall. they just prefer being together, BUT I do not shut them in they do this on there own,

I agree, it depends on the horses. If they get along and it's only for overnight in bad weather I don't see the problem at all. When I was weaning the filly I had, I put her and my gelding in the same stall and it worked beautifully. Now I did feed them seperate but together in the stall they were just fine and became buddy buddy and it was much easier on the filly to be weaned that way. My gelding is the best babysitter there is for the little ones
default_yes.gif

well we do have a foaling stall but there is stuff in it right now with the barn managers stuff. they want to charge us 200 for one and i was like i cant do that so im trying to reason with him im fencing my own pasture and suppling my own grain so ill have to see what he says right now we have 8 open stalls so i dont think it would matter if they have there own for now at least till some more ppl move in then we will figure something out. if you have any ideas please share IM NEW TO THIS
default_wacko.png

It depends also on the size of your minis. I have a 29" stallion and his best buddy a 30" yearling gelding sharing a stall at times, I feed seperately I also have a weanling filly and her brother another yearling gelding sharing a stall. My stalls are 10x8. My 35" mare doesn't have to share her stall but I wouldn't hesitate to put her weanling filly or her yearling gelding in with her if I had to. I have one stall thats my tiny stall its 6x10 I'd never double that stall. What I have seen done is a swinging solid divider for the middle of the stall, would be removeable if you were to move barns yet share the one stall. good hinges and wood and latch to keep them open when not needed is what you would need. Bring one horse in close the gate get second horse etc. You could have it latch in the back of the stall, in the middle or at the front, front would probably be easiest for barn staff.

Karen

It really depends on how much time they'll be spending in the stall. If predators are not a problem, it's healthier for horses to live outside all the time with access to shelter when they want it.

All of my horses live either in paddocks w/ stall open or in paddocks w/ run in sheds. Some are stalled at meal time and the show ones are stalled the night before a show.

Here, I have 9 stalls that are 12x8. Then we have one 8x8 stall. The 12x8 ones are pretty big for minis especially when you figure most full size horses have 12x12 stalls.

My two share a 12x12. They get hay together but any other feed they get separately. I feed one in the stall and one out, then bump the other one in there and they sleep in there together. I break the hay up into four small piles, one in each corner. I had no intention of doing this but when I stall them separately they spend all their time hollering at each other and fussing at the wall between them.

The only reason they even go inside at night is because we have a pack of stray dogs that we caught on our security camera stalking them and it made me paranoid. I hate having to lock them up but I feel that I have to for their safety.

I am like Warpony, I have 2 little 5 months olds I keep together at nite, I feed their hay in the stall but their grain I feed one inside and one out side, but I also have 2 little stallions, one is 1 1/2 years old the other 2 years old, they have been buddys since they were lttle, I have them in a 16 by 16 ft. stall and they get along good together, this stall has a divider wall in it that can be taken in or out, I have 3 stalls like this.

Am adding on to the barn this spring because the 5 month olds are 1/2 brother and sister. I have a camera on them all the time.

I keep each one of my CLYDESDALES IN A 10 x 10 and they are fine. I have 2 each has its own stall. They can turn sleep and sprawl out fine.

I've kept two weanlings in a 12 x 12 stall together; when they get along really well I think it's fine, but with older horses I would be leery of keeping two together where one can't get away if the other decides to turn into a bully. If one horse starts kicking at the other, and the one being kicked can't get away, not good.
default_sad.png
An alternative would be to split the stall with a panel so they can see each other but have their own space (and own food).

I had my barn built with 10x10 stalls for two mares per stall and it is working out great! But my minis are pretty small also. And three of the pairs are mother and daughter.

My mares have all lived together in one huge dry lot with shelter before I had my barn this year and so they all know each other well. I have dutch doors and almost ALWAYS have them open so they can come and go into their 30' runs that attach to each stall. When it gets to be more wintry I'll close the top of the doors at least, but only the bottom also if the weather is really horrible.

Susan O.

nm they are getting there own stalls it was just cause i couldnt get the owners of the barn to work with me but they are letting me board for 125 ea with their own stall. thanks for the info

Well our minni has a small stall equivilant to her size she is very comfortable and relaxed and does not have a problem i'm sure it would be in the best interest of the 2 to divide their stalls it really depends on the horse.

Latest posts

Back