shaft question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
if i have a horse that's 36" long from chest to tail and a horse thats 35" long from chest to tail can i use 48" shafts for both of them?

The rule of thumb for a big horse is 12" of space between the cart and the horse. Depending on how low the basket of the cart is, I like about 8", but most mini people like more, probably because certain companies use only certain size shafts.

Myrna

The rule of thumb for a big horse is 12" of space between the cart and the horse. Depending on how low the basket of the cart is, I like about 8", but most mini people like more, probably because certain companies use only certain size shafts.Myrna
I know what you mean...I like 8-10 inches (max) too, and think that so many of the mini carts have the horse so far out in front that the cart looks like a lagging caboose.
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting

I have also seen horses in way too short of shafts and it looks like the horse is trying to sit in the basket. There is a trainer that comes to the Reno AMHA show that ALWAYS has a horse set so far back in the shafts that the cart basket is actually pressing on the horse where a breaching would be.

Back