Settling a Minis upset tummy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
Some weeks ago I posted on here about loosing a little mini that I'd not long purchased. She came with another foal who is still with me.

Anyway my little mini 'Potty' keeps doing cowpat poops and I'm worried as I'd like to see his poops a bit firmer. At first I thought it may be spring grass coming through, but it's lasted quiet a time now.

Feedwise he has a handful of stud and condition mix, Alfalfa chaff and a small amount of beet. I had also been feeding a small amount of boiled barley, but took him off this over a week ago in case it didn't suit him.

Some years ago I used a product called Protexin Bio Premium for my Ex racehorse who had gut problems. It's like little fish pellets and worked wonders on him, but I know minis are so different and I don't want to give him anything that I shouldn't. Here's the link to the product http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Equine_Range.html

Does anyone have any other suggestions? His worming is up to date and he is fed a small feed twice per day.

With the deworming, are you using one that clears tapes? I'm thinking that tapeworms can cause diarrhea, but am not sure. Ivermectin alone will not get rid of tapeworms.

When we had a foal who had a brief episode of diarrhea, our vet had us give her 10cc of pepto bismol 2x a day until it became more firm (just gave her 1 or 2 doses). I'd guess she weighed about 25-30# at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jill

His next lot of wormer is for Tape worm as I always use double dose Pyrantel in April. He had his last wormer three weeks ago so I guess it might be safe to carry out his Pyrantel dose now. This will be the first tapeworm does he's had since he's been with me so perhaps I should do it now???

Should I wait giving the peto bismol until I've done his double dose?

I'm also going to get a worm count done just in case, but doesn't that just count the worms expelled in the pooh?

pepto works great to coat the stomach and biosponge is WONDERFUL for loose stools as well as neutralizing any toxins/acidic fluids in the gut.

I keep biosponge on hand at all times.

I'll second the Biosponge suggestion - if you can order it over there, I would try that. I've just been through a bout of pretty serious diarrhea with 3 mares, and vet suggested BioSponge and Pepto. It did the trick, and all were clear within about 24 hours. If you have PeptoBismal on hand, that's certainly a good place to start. Hope it's easily fixed.
default_smile.png

Jan

With all the loose stool, you need to balance out the flora in his gut. Probiotics should help & I use them everytime I de-worm, or whenever a stresses is introduced.

Have had GREAT success with the DYNAMITE product called MIRICLE CLAY and their Probiotic DYNA-PRO.

I use the DYNA-PRO after I worm, gassy horse, when traveling, at shows, just after foaling,.....ect

I use the MIRICLE CLAY (per the directions on the container of making a paste & letting it sit overnight then syringing it into their mouth) for loose stool & upset tummies.

The peoto works and is OK but I think it only masks the problem not addresses it. Like the previous poster said. Sounds like a "gut flora" issue.

Lisa
default_saludando.gif

Here is their site that tells about the product. You have to purchase thur a distributor. Im sure someone on here sells Dynamite.

http://dynamitemarketing.com/Dyna-Pro.htm

http://dynamitemarketing.com/Miracle_Clay_(Equine).htm

Not sure I am alowed to post links. If not I appoligize
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back