Senior year is tough!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
There is so much that I just need to get off my chest at one time that I feel the personal need to write it all out and let it be heard.

I am a senior in high school and my oh my am I physically and mentally exhausted. I thought this year was going to be a breeze and be fun, GUESS NOT! I am constantly working every day, whether it is school work, my job, or chores at home. I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep the day away!

Ever since I returned home from AMHR nationals I have been doing makeup work. Even though most of it is finished right now my grades are still not the A's and B's I am used to. That is a stressful fact for me as I gain a mental pride from good grades.

I am also a state officer in FFA and that requires me to be absent from school a lot for FFA events. I have driven over 880 miles since June for FFA. I told my advisor I will not be going to FFA National Convention at the end of this month because my education cannot afford it. I would have been going as a delegate for almost free but now I have to PAY the state for my ticket that cannot be refunded. My parents won't pay for it. I do have a job but I am not bringing in the paychecks like I used to at my old job (That I want to go back to, SO BAD) I have other things to pay for. My jeep, gas, toiletries, clothing, and college is coming right around the corner.

I am soooo excited for college. You have no idea. I want to major in Pre-veterinary science with a minor in environmental science. I am hoping to go all the way to Texas A & M or Ohio State, and my other choices are Colorado State, Purdue University, and the University of New Hampshire. If I go far away though who knows what will happen to my horses. I hope to bring Zeus down to Texas with me if I go there. My grades are scaring me because I keep wondering if schools will still want me if this first quarter of my senior year is not good. I know I am probably just thinking about it too much.

I dislike my job right now. The hours aren't great, 3-6 on weekdays, and although my wage is more than my old job (which I quit) my paychecks are not amazing. I know my old job will take me back, so I am going to start looking into it. My current job is at a dog kennel which is great for experience with animals, but the physical work is extreme. I have to mop about 70 kennels, vacuum them, feed dogs, clean up after dogs, disinfect outdoor runs, stand out in the rain and cold while running play groups, and do loads of dishes. There is no customer service aspect to the job and that frustrates me. I like making people happy and I love interacting with people. My old job at the pizzeria was just like that, and it was enjoyable even with all the drama and crap I had to deal with.

Thanks for letting me spill my guts. I feel a bit better now =)

Hi Jess:

I work at a senior high school and see many kids "flare out" from being overloaded like you. I also did the veterinary kennel work and know how tough that is....

If you find classes are wearing you down, see if your guidance counselor can help you get time extensions on your work so that you don't burn up trying to keep current and catch up on work you may have missed. In our school they are very helpful in keeping kids driven to excel with time for work, friends and other extra curricular activities and provide support when kids are having trouble with learning labs and since we are on a block schedule, during advisory time teachers are available for help and the advisory time is good for getting caught up on work...tough for seniors as they so want to be done! (My son Andy is a senior andwe are working on keeping him focused - he works every day for his shop teacher - they are building a house from scratch. If I ask him to do any house chores, it is like I asked him to cut his foot off!
default_yes.gif
: )

Your horse will be a big help in keeping you sane - my first horse was my release when I worked full time and went to school full time. I wasn't showing then but to sit with her while she ate and I did homework was better than sitting in any library.

I also changed my sleep schedule - found I did better studying in the early AM rather than at night and that worked for me.

With the colleges you are looking at, you probably have gone to the College Board's website - they have time management tips for students, too. We put them in our freshman packets for new students.

Good luck and take a deep breath...it is Friday. Take it one step at a time.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Hey Jess,

I got accepted to so many colleges and i had horiable grades all the way through high school, if i can do it ..you can do it. Now of course i decided to take a year off to do what i love for a while but still.

If you come to OSU you have a place to board Zeus ..now of course its 2 1/2 hours away buuut
default_wink.png
:

Whatever you decide, im sure it will be the right way for you ..goodluck and have fun along the way!

Thanks guys!

I know I'll probably be fine but I can't help but stress out a bit.

Leeana,

If I were to board Zeus at your place I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting him back!!!!
default_wink.png
:

Jess-

I 100% feel your pain!
default_yes.gif
:

I'm a senior- working way too much- too much school stuff- looking to go prevet at CSU, Cornell, Ruters, Ohio State (etc). I though Senior Year was going to be easy too!! But my AP classes have been KILLING me, I have no social life, and have been devoting my off hours to college applications and essays.

I feel your pain. I'm looking forward to getting these darn applications in- and I know that will take the stress off a bit. And talk to your counselor about your grades- I was freaking out over one bad grade in AP Bio that causes a serious drop- but if I get my applications out before the end of october the first marking period won't be on my transcript. I know that I can bring it up over the course of two marking periods, but I was terrified about having a close to failing grade in biology (esp. since it's so related to the major), when I'm an A/High B student! Plus figuring out what to do with my horses is crazy!

WE CAN DO THIS!!

Right?
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jess-

I 100% feel your pain!
default_yes.gif
:

WE CAN DO THIS!!

Right?
default_wacko.png
:

Doubt it! I hope I make it out of Senior year in one piece!

But this is so cool. We want the same major and want to go to some of the same schools!

Are you gonna have a minor?

I want to do environmental science.

The only thing I can tell you is this Senior year is sort of prep for college.

My oldest is now a freshman in college and her Sr year was busy with school work, her job and cheerleading however dealing with all of that has helped her with her time management issues she is now facing in school

I agree with Lisa on this one.

I also stress not takeing time off between schools.

I took 5 years off. Never really did find myself going to school, just end up there after loseing my job.

The first semester I struggled horriably. I was down to a 2.3 average. The second semester I got my grades up to B's. So far this I am holding at A/B's. Its hard, and ALOT of work.

One of my classes is a novel a week, plus extra homework, plus a 10 page paper due in 2 weeeks. Another class is a chapter a week(one class a week= 100+pages of reading, plus a 7 page paper do the same day as the 10 page). My writting class is a paper a week sometimes two weeks, plus other work. And my finally class thankfully is Ethics, and its easy, with little homework and open/book/notes on tests.

Now is the time to prep for school. If you can handle it now you will handle it later, if you can, your in trouble.

Latest posts

Back