Senior cat- coat care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kales

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My cat is 14 yrs old and I've noticed her coat has been getting oily. Now yes I'm guilty that she has been well loved with food and is a bigger girl, but not obese and it can be harder for the chubby ones to reach their backs(where it's most oily on her), but I do see her groom herself back there.

I've tries the cat sprays, but I think those are more for smell because it didn't help much.

I would like to try and avoid bathing her if I can because she is older and I don't want to stress her. Also because she is a diva and she would most likely eat me alive if I tried to put her in the tub lol!

Someone told me baby powder, but not sure if that's ok for her to digest when she is cleaning herself.

We do brush her regularly.

Any ideas on helping her coat look better would be great! Thanks!

Kales

They do make a bath wipe or a dry bath spray for cats! Good luck!
default_yes.gif

I find that older cats dont seem to groom themselves as much or something. Do make sure you are feeding a top quality food to your kitty to keep her healthy for a few more years.

Ah, here is an article on older cats and what is going on with their bodies...

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/seniorcat.html

Some other info:

Skin/Coat Changes

As with people, some older cats may start to show gray hair, especially black cats. The haircoat may become thinner and duller, which may be one sign of nutritional deficiency. Giving your older cat a fatty acid supplement can help age-related conditions like thinning haircoat and dry skin. Other skin problems associated with aging:

• Lumps and bumps, which can indicate cancer or benign tumors
  • Looser, drier skin (injured more easily)
  • Grooming laxity - As older cats neglect their own grooming, they often need human help and your brushing distributes natural oils throughout your cat's coat and prevents mats from forming. Invest in a grooming brush to improve your cat's haircoat and to bond with her. She'll love the extra attention she receives when you brush her.

Thanks guys. She is on a senior cat food that I get from the vets office. I talked to them about her coat at her last check up and they didn't seem too worried to put her on any supplements. I guess her coat isn't that bad that's it's a cause of concern they said. However I'm going to go and get some pet wipes or dry shampoo today
default_smile.png

Thanks!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back