senenium-vita E suppliment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
Have a 230 lb. mare. Package says 1/4 to 1/2 scoop {scoop is 1 ounce} for a full size horse. I am assuming this is 1000 lb. animal. Can someone figure this out in teas. to make it easier. I know I ned to be careful with it and I want to make sure she doesnt get to much. Thanks so much. :eek:

It is hard to overdose this stuff- I had Rabbit on it as a calmative (it did work, sort of) for years and he was having the big horse dose and weighs what your horse weighs.

It is just that it is quite expensive and if there is no need then you do not want to- I would give half a scoop as a starting (loading) dose and cut back after a week.

Seleium is a very dangerous supplement if overdosed rabbitsfrizz, it is deadly...Northernmi have you had your soil tested to determine wether or not you need the selenium? I am sure you have. Anyway I would consult your vet as a mini would need such a small amount I don't know what to tell you. We have a selenium defficiency at school, so the school horses do get it but I think they get like a scoop or so, it really all depends on just how defficient the soil is. It you are looking solely for the vit. E then they do make Vit. E crumbles and other forms of it. Hope this helps.

Courtney

Personally I wouldn't give over 1/4 scoop and then lower it to half that much after a month. The reason for this is that new studies do indicate that overdoses are not good or necessary. In humans it has been shown that overdoses actually start giving a reverse reaction. I would do some further studying if I were thinking of giving more than what is recommended,,,,haven't yet figured out how much that would be in teasoons. Another thing a person has to watch for in overdoses is that vitamin E sometimes gets contaminated with harmful stuff which we aren't aware of and then this can also cause bad reactions ...please, do some research on the vitamins and minerals you are giving without the advice of a vet. Sometimes a little does a lot more good than too much. Mary

Our soil is definatly very low in selenium and she also has alot of mane loss and hoof slophing, dont think I spelled that right! I would ask my vet but she diagnosed her as hypothyroid and enemic several years ago from these 2 symptoms. These are not thyroid symptoms, they are usually low selenium, that can effect the thyroid, I do believe. She is the only horse vet around and I am contacting another vet to check her. But I"m sure its a selenium problem. I figured 1/8 of this dose{ the 1/2 scoop} was about right. She has also had foaling problems and I"m wondering if this is why. I am sure by everything I have read on selenium, this is the problem. I wanted to make sure this wasnt to little of an amount or to much. Teaspoon dosage would be sooooo much easier. Yep, math was not my subject and I havent been in school in 30 years.
default_yes.gif
:

We also live in a low (to zero) selenium region. There ARE areas in the U.S. that are high and so knowing what region you live in is very important. (Folks who are unsure should check with their vet. There's also a general map that's been done for it -- but it's not very precise.)

Since you already know what region you live within........Take the scoop provided and measure the contents into a regular glass measuring cup that has the breakdowns of 1/8 cup, 1/4 cup, etc.......

Try basing your figuring that a 1/2 scoop is for a 1000 lb horse and divide by four.

MA

A very important side note: just because you LIVE in a low selenium area, does not mean your horse's DIET is low
default_smile.png
If you are buying hay from a high Se area you may have toxicity areas, even though your region is severely deficient!

A very important side note: just because you LIVE in a low selenium area, does not mean your horse's DIET is low
default_smile.png
If you are buying hay from a high Se area you may have toxicity areas, even though your region is severely deficient!
Hi, I know Northernmi and if I'm right I think they put up their own hay so it wuld be same area or close. I haven't had any problems with mine and I am just a few miles from her but she's pretty darn horse savvy! Does her "bag feed" have added Selemium? I think I'll go out and check mine Hi northernmi! Maxine:bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]i had one of my minis tested and he was very low so the vet gave him a shot and gave me info. on how much to give as far as suppliments go and of coarse i can't find it :eek: . i gave a half of scoop for the first few weeks now i give 1/4 scoop daily. the brand i use said full scoop to load then 1/2 maintance for a full size horse. our ground has little or none so we always have the green salt blocks available to all the horses but some don't lick it i guess. i probably would have the horse tested before i started them on it though, i know here the farm call, blood draw and test was only $20.00 and then i knew for sure what his levels were. good luck with your mare
default_yes.gif
: , Nikki
[/SIZE]

EXCELLENT ADVICE NIKKI!

When we moved from one part of the state to the other back in 1992, we had some of our horses blood tested for selenium. We were concerned about whether or not we should keep using the same supplement we'd been using. It's been so long, I'd forgotten about our doing it.

Are you breeding your mare? If you are, discuss with your vet about giving your future newborn a Selenium and E shot at birth. We keep it on hand for our foals.

MA

The amount of Selenium in a Vit E supplement is negligible- it is there to enable the digestion of the Vit E.

I am aware that almost anything grossly overdosed can be dangerous but for heavens sake we are looking at something here that it is unlikely to affect a horse if it ate the whole bucket!!

I can only tell you my personal experiences of feeding a horse that is this weight on the stuff for over fifteen years.

He has not dropped dead yet.

A Selenium supplement, designed to supplement Selenium deficient horses, would be another matter altogether.

We will be running bloodwork on her, another vet suggested she may need a booster shot of it. Non of the others show any signs but we may have them all tested. Someone suggested that she may just be the only one showing it. Hi maxine, nice to here from you! Hope you enjoyed your warm weather this winter. Just to let ya know, yes this area is deficient. Salt bocks and suppliments are usually enough for most horses with selenium but they are a general across the board dosage for all horses. Were thinking his horse for some reason had a severe deficiency when we purchased her and just that general dose of vitamen isnt enough. Talked to a breeder that has been breeding 30 years and is also a horse judge and she says it could cause major foaling problems also. She lost her first 2, the 3rd was a hiplock and this one I delivered with a leg back, thank god I got a beautiful healthy Palomino filly! One of my Top Banana line babies that I will treasure forever after that birth. No vet could make it and I was home by myslf. She is now retired from breeding at a very young age and hopefully I can straighten this out with her. Gotta go, see ya this summer I hope and thank you everyone for the input.

Most Vit E and Selenium suppliments are the other way around... enough vit e to allow the selenium to be digested correctly. Selenium without vit e is very ineffective, but vit e has its own benefits. It is very possible to overdose. The dietary difference between deficiency and overdose is measured in parts per million. 0.1ppm is the recommended dietary dose, 5ppm is an overdose. That's a pretty tiny amount.

. The dietary difference between deficiency and overdose is measured in parts per million. 0.1ppm is the recommended dietary dose, 5ppm is an overdose. That's a pretty tiny amount.
My vets have told me something simular I don't remember the numbers to be honest but do remember that it was a very small amount to be to much for them kinda scary for me I don't feed that as an extra supplement but have when in CA had my vet give a Vit E Selenium shot a couple weeks or so prior to foaling at her suggestion.

This is definatly a selenium suppliment with added viamen e. There is a dosage warning on the package. Just wanted to clarify that. I guess what my question really was, was this is a 230 lb. mare, if I cut the dosage to 1/4 of 1000 lb horse dosage,would it be alright to feed her the 250 lb dose. She doesnt eat her salt block and She is now just on a good hay and to make sure she didnt get a toxic level of it I took her off her grain. {stratagy-Purina}

I think if it were me I would give a little bit less then 1/4 of the scoop just to be on the safe side thanks for clarifying the product and the dosage warning on the label to help others make the right decision as well
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Lisa, I think I will. Just really wanted to clarify the product so I dont have anyone eles on the board accidently mis-using a selenium suppliment. there are alot of differant ones on the market, please everyone, if your a newbie, or not sure of the product your using, consult your vet. Even with 35 years of horse experiance I will be talking to mine. She knows I am starting this suppliment, but cant get here for a few weeks and I wanted to start her right away. We normally cut the dosages in 1/4 for anything we give. This one was slightly under for weight and we wanted to be very careful. Thought someone might just have an idea of how to cut that extra out of that 20 lb. differance. It is such a small amount.

Latest posts

Back