Selling Your "Older" Broodmares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
There was another thread that was asking Breeders if they every sell their GOOD Broodmares or are they all "culls".

As I stated under that topic......We have sold some of our best producers.....mostly because our focus has been changing.

This made me think about our current situation....... We have several WONDERFUL PROVEN and EASY FOALING Broodmares that many people would consider "long in the tooth", as my dad would say.
default_rolleyes.gif
They range from 15 to 23 years old.

Personally, I have no problem with buying or selling a good broodmare who is in their teens, but as they get closer to age 20 I start hesitating. Not as a buyer, but as a SELLER. Now I want to make sure my mare is going to a home that is going to treat her well and eventually give her a retirement home! Am I wrong to want that?

To be honest, we are having a tough time letting our older girls go. I'm not sure if we are giving them any better treatment than another (smaller!) farm, but at least I know they are okay here with us. What we are figuring is eventually just allowing them to be pasture pets and "nanny/grandma" horses in their retirement years.

I don't know how many folks on here have older mares, but would like to hear from those who do........

It is a tough one for sure. I will sell my "good" broodmares and frequently do for many reasons - usually I have a daughter or son to keep the line going, sometimes it is a personality conflict, sometimes the cross with my stallions isn't up to what I am trying to breed.

That said - once my mares get up over 15 I will probably never sell them - I might give them away to a wonderful home of my personal choice with the understanding that they never be sold and if need be they come back to me. For me, my girls have laid down their lives for me countless times during birth - I bred them, it was my choice to make them go thru the pregnancy and the foaling - so I feel very emotionally indebted to my girls. They have usually more than paid their way for me and deserve a graceful retirement free of worry and free of pain - so often a new buyer who does not "get reimbursed" by their mare will discard them at an auction and the poor mare ends up living in a sad situation - all because she wasn't a "good producer" for her owner - older mares are probably never going to be "good producers" - they have a limit to how many foals they can carry, and as a mare ages, the number is smaller - for some people too small.

I freely admit that it does cause a problem with numbers - and as a breeder it is difficult to balance the number of animals I have with my emotional responsibility to my girls - couple that with my age and I have to look reality in the face and decide if I am going to keep breeding and keeping foals or just let the girls that I currently have age with me and slowly let nature take it's course as far as reproduction is concerned -- the tax adviser doesn't like this approach, so it is a Catch 22 (he is losing tho!)

Anyway, that is my take on the situation - what works for me and I can sleep easily over my decision.

Stacy

Parmela started a real good topic a long time ago, I think it was like last year, about hanging onto those older broodmares and letting them retire at your farm instead of selling them as they are no longer able or caple to produce.

I have a 21 year old AMHR/ASPC Wa-Full bred shetland mare here - She gave me a gorgeous perlino colt this year and I did not breed her back this year (left her open to breed back early next spring to our shetland stallion). She is very "spry"...you should see her jump and twist and kick and run around the pasture. I call her "Gramma" as she really has that Gramma pesonality and I think after that foal is born im going to let her retire and just hang out here for the rest of her days and take care of the other horses and babies out in that pasture. She just deserves it.

I went back and found the link to Parmela's post - it is very good - http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...c=89086&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the hardest part of breeding for me. Selling my girls. This year I sold nearly all of my broodmares. Our breeding program has changed to shetlands, so alot of my smaller broodmares were ready to be sold. All are in great shape. Had earned their points in the ring and were going for that reason only! The younger girls, I din't worry about....but the older ones........

I did a buy back contract on every one. That way you are notified of any changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, my girls have laid down their lives for me countless times during birth - I bred them, it was my choice to make them go thru the pregnancy and the foaling - so I feel very emotionally indebted to my girls. They have usually more than paid their way for me and deserve a graceful retirement free of worry and free of pain.Stacy

Oh how I understand this response from Stacy.

We have sold some incredible mares and stallions because we had too many closely related and did not want to increase our horse numbers. They are really hard decisions. I guess we are like everyone else and feel we are THE BEST home for our horses. Several of my oldest mares who are in their late teens and early 20's will have forever homes. We are just too attached to them and I can remember each foaling I was with them. Others just have to move on for various reasons such as a change in focus or keeping their daughter.

The mares I have foaled out are the ones I get most attached to. I seem to be able to sell most of the offspring, but the birthing mares are a hard one for me to part with. I also have a hard time selling my bred mares, though I have done that too. I am always to anxious to see their next foals.

My older mare Honey is still producing.

She is also being used for a little girl (age 2) to learn how to ride on. Not that Honey knew anything to start with. Shes is 19 this year I believe (could be 20 would have to check her papers)

I have had countless offers on her because of her color and the fact that she is still producing. Shes currently in foal.

I only have plans to breed her one more time. But if she doesnt catch thats fine with me.

I bought her as an older mare. Knowing I would never be selling her. I have only ever to this point gotten 1 foal out of her. But to me that doesnt matter. She deserves a home for the rest of her life. Not to suffer and so that if the time comes (hopefully in the LONG LONG FUTURE) that I can make the call that is right for her.

Even if she can never produce for me again she still would not be going anywhere.

I also have a young mare who has had a foal in the past. But for what ever reason has not been able to conceive or carry to term she will not be going anywhere either. As I would be afraid that she would end up in a bad place simply because she cant have a baby.

Thats not saying Im not hoping a miracle happens and I get a baby from her but its not necessary for her to have a long full life.

I'm like stacy. We quit breeding several years ago, however, I did not sell my older mares. They have given me their youth and I will keep them thru their older years. We had to put one down just the other day. She was only around 14, but she has been blind for several years (not really a problem, always kept a 'seeing eye horse' with her). She recently had gotten hard of hearing and we just could not keep weight on her. We were trying to make 'the decision' thinking she probably wouldn't make the winter. She made it for us when one day we went out to feed and she couldn't get up. She only gave us 1 foal, but I wouldn't have sold her. We sold our younger mares, but have several older (15 & older) that will be here as long as we are able to take care of them.

Pam

This is an excellent topic and one that has me wondering. I am new to the miniatures. I have raised Paint horses all my life before and we would breed our mares up until 18-20( and sometimes older) depending on health. I recently have noticed numerous miniature broodmares for sale in the 15 and up range. What is the "typical"/"average" breeding sound age range for a miniature mare? Wanting to know because I would like to add another mare or two in the future.

There was another thread that was asking Breeders if they every sell their GOOD Broodmares or are they all "culls".
As I stated under that topic......We have sold some of our best producers.....mostly because our focus has been changing.

This made me think about our current situation....... We have several WONDERFUL PROVEN and EASY FOALING Broodmares that many people would consider "long in the tooth", as my dad would say.
default_rolleyes.gif

Personally, I have no problem with buying or selling a good broodmare who is in their teens, but as they get closer to age 20 I start hesitating. Not as a buyer, but as a SELLER. Now I want to make sure my mare is going to a home that is going to treat her well and eventually give her a retirement home! Am I wrong to want that?

To be honest, we are having a tough time letting our older girls go. I'm not sure if we are giving them any better treatment than another (smaller!) farm, but at least I know they are okay here with us. What we are figuring is eventually just allowing them to be pasture pets and "nanny/grandma" horses in their retirement years.

I don't know how many folks on here have older mares, but would like to hear from those who do........

default_rolleyes.gif

For me, my girls have laid down their lives for me countless times during birth - I bred them, it was my choice to make them go thru the pregnancy and the foaling - so I feel very emotionally indebted to my girls. They have usually more than paid their way for me and deserve a graceful retirement free of worry and free of pain
That's exactly how I feel--and my two mares have given me three foals each, two years apart--which in breederville is not very many. They are both about 10 years old and are retired now. I decided last year to be done breeding because it's the selling I can't take. I wait for a perfect, and I do mean perfect home (but my mares are NOT for sale). Since that takes a while, I didn't want to get to a number I couldn't handle. My stallion was gelded before I could change my mind.
default_laugh.png
One of my mares is going to start ground driving and maybe some therapy work. I think she's way more excited about these new adventures than she ever was about the whole breeding, foaling part.
default_smile.png
I've had folks ask if the mares are for sale, but I just say "Nope, I owe them some quiet, relaxing, pregnant free years."

I have LOTS of older girls that will never leave "just because". But I have some that are older that would make someone a great broodmare and I hate to see them just standing around when they are happiest in foal and those are the ones I offer.

I have a 19 yr old QH mare that I have had for 18 years that does nothing and has never done nothing except look pretty. And is still green broke, but hasn't been rode for OH 10+ years
default_smile.png

My older girls will stay here with me-we are growing old together.Gal is 22 Cushings and has been with me for19 years and was not very trusting when I got her.She still doesn't like strangers. She wouldn't adjust well at another farm.Scooter is 19 and she was was first foal bought at 1 day old with sire and dam.Her 2 sisters are 19 and 17 both born here and both cushings and on meds.They are here forever.Feather is 12 and my grandaughters horse.I am trying to cut down and no longer breeding, but the old girls are here until they die.I owe them and would never think of taking them to a sale and not know what quality of life they would have.I applaud those who are taking care of their senior citizen horses.What's a couple more and they are so happy just hanging out and eating.

What a wonderful thread. I too have stopped breeding mainly because of the stress of wondering if there will be any problems (several lost foals and a mare even with foal alert system, supervision and a wonderful vet) and then trying to find great homes for horses that you become so attached too. I have a few young ones to sell but my "original" crew will stay and I'm even contemplating gelding my first stallion so he can enjoy spending time out with the girls. Recently, I was honored to be able to to retire a lovely broodmare who is the dam of a little gelding who was bought for my oldest daughter to show. She is a young 22 years old who has outproduced herself and is well deserving of a carefree retirement. She came here in wonderful shape (breeder even met me so the trip was just an hour away from my farm) and has settled in nicely. A suggestion for those trying to decide what to do. If you find a wonderful home to retire your mares who are still capable of producing then keep their papers (obviously not a guarantee but would offer some piece of mind).

[SIZE=10pt]I love the older mares. Economics does play a part in our decisions.............and the reality of the day-to-day care some require. That said, I'm just too emotionally attached to them.[/SIZE]

Mountain Meadows said it beautifully and from the heart:

I might give them away to a wonderful home of my personal choice with the understanding that they never be sold and if need be they come back to me. For me, my girls have laid down their lives for me countless times during birth - I bred them, it was my choice to make them go thru the pregnancy and the foaling - so I feel very emotionally indebted to my girls. They have usually more than paid their way for me and deserve a graceful retirement free of worry and free of pain -
We have a 26 year old mare who has taught me more than I can ever repay her for her wisdom, courage, and just the joy of life. And a 13-year old mare who continues to outproduce herself every year. I want to hang on to them until I can't totter out to the barn anymore.

I have always had so much respect for Cindy Moses of Mochas miniatures you could not get your hands on her old seniors for love nor a lot of money. She has kept them all and they are all fat and shiny and full of themselves! It is a joy to go to her farm.

Now that I think of it you can't get any of her horses to leave her farm!!!!!!!!!

default_wink.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Bonnie

[SIZE=10pt]I love the older mares. Economics does play a part in our decisions.............and the reality of the day-to-day care some require. That said, I'm just too emotionally attached to them.[/SIZE]
Mountain Meadows said it beautifully and from the heart:

I might give them away to a wonderful home of my personal choice with the understanding that they never be sold and if need be they come back to me. For me, my girls have laid down their lives for me countless times during birth - I bred them, it was my choice to make them go thru the pregnancy and the foaling - so I feel very emotionally indebted to my girls. They have usually more than paid their way for me and deserve a graceful retirement free of worry and free of pain -
We have a 26 year old mare who has taught me more than I can ever repay her for her wisdom, courage, and just the joy of life. And a 13-year old mare who continues to outproduce herself every year. I want to hang on to them until I can't totter out to the barn anymore.

Yes......This is all wonderful to read......... I have much the same feelings about our old girls. And there is one gal who really isn't "old" yet, but if I were to give her to someone, I know who it would be........and it's a member on LB.

Sometimes I have a bad habit of laying in bed at night and fretting about our fur family.......It's the "what-if" syndrome.

This is an excellent topic and one that has me wondering. I am new to the miniatures. I have raised Paint horses all my life before and we would breed our mares up until 18-20( and sometimes older) depending on health. I recently have noticed numerous miniature broodmares for sale in the 15 and up range. What is the "typical"/"average" breeding sound age range for a miniature mare? Wanting to know because I would like to add another mare or two in the future.

I'm not sure what the "typical/average" breeding sound age is for broodmares, it may very well depend on each individual mare so I would take it on a case-by-case basis. My oldest mare is 25, and I had her bred when she was 21 years old, just ONE cover, and she settled and carried to term. Though she was still healthy and active after her foal was weaned, I retired her after that. This is the only foal I've ever gotten from her, as I aquired her when she was 20. But she's the dam to my treasured "Mountain Highs AMayZing" and deserves an excellent retirement just because of that.
default_wub.png
She's the resident "babysitter" and is as pampered as she'll let us. (Stalling her just upsets her, she'd rather be with her charges, so in very bad weather she stands with them in the run-in shelter and is blanketed as needed).

My next two oldest mares are only 13 years old right now, but both of those have forever homes with me, no matter what. I've had them since they were a weanling and a yearling, respectively. And my most recently acquired stallion is also 13; I've yet to get any foals from him since he's so new here, but he's a keeper for sure as well. Some younger horses I do have to sell at times, but when my horses reach a certain age, they are guranteed a home for life. It's the least I can do.
default_wub.png

Selling my old mares? Probably not- for the same reasons as you. I would worry about them in their geriatric years and wonder always if they were being taken care of properly and treated right.

My neighbors farm has what I call their 'geriatric ward', LOL and some of their have lived into the late 30's and one passed 40!!!! When they are no longer being bred, they just retire there to live out their days, as long as it may be.

I only had one old mare... and I kept her til she had to be put down at 30. My old stallion will be 20 in the spring and he will stay with me the rest of his life. I have several that will. I figure they give me years of enjoyment, they have earned their retirement.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back