Selling w/Gelding Contract???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Exactly how do they work, and does anyone have a draft copy I can borrow?
default_wub.png

If so, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks so much for any help.
default_wub.png

We geld ours before we sell them. That way there is no "misunderstandings" etc.

Any of our baby colts that are not spoken for or we decide we are not keeping ,we geld before they are 10 days old.

Even one I am keeping for a carriage horse - born this summer has been gelded.

You can not enforce a castration contract. Once you transfer ownership the new owner can do as they please, and if they please to breed, they can. If you don't want the horse intact, castrate it before the sale.

The only thing you can do is offer incentives. Ie a partial refund upon gelding.

Thanks so much Amy & Nathan. :) I personally don't mind if he stays a stallion or not, for whoever would buy him. He makes gorgeous babies...well, at least "one" so far anyways, LOL. Just had someone inquire on my stallion, and they asked if I would consider less than I was asking if I sold him on a gelding contract...and I have no idea how a gelding contract works, as I've never had to sell through one before...so was just asking if anyone had ideas on how they even work, LOL.

That was a concern though, in how would there be any recourse if the purchaser didn't actually follow through with gelding. I don't know, I guess I'll just write them back and tell them, if they want him gelded, that's fine, but he'd have to be done before he left here. We'll see if that leaves them still interested or not, I guess, LOL.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
default_wub.png

One way is to hold onto the registration papers and they are released with the gelding certificate from the vet.

Question to you that geld early, do you feel the horse matures the same as one gelded at 1 or 2 years of age? Do you find they get taller if gelded before puberty? I have no idea. curious for opinions.

Just had someone inquire on my stallion, and they asked if I would consider less than I was asking if I sold him on a gelding contract...
default_wub.png
Sounds a bit like they are trying to get a deal to me, and as Nathan said there is no way to enforce a gelding contract... Just a thought. Perhaps like mentioned, offer a partial refund with proof of gelding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had someone inquire on my stallion, and they asked if I would consider less than I was asking if I sold him on a gelding contract...
default_wub.png
I know many many people that buy and sell on gelding contracts. I have offered horses with a gelding contract, but not sold on with one yet, I just gelded the boys here before they when anywhere. Had no need for a stud, that's why he was for sale
default_biggrin.png
Anyways, I know many that do it and I think it works fine for them.
default_smile.png
I wouldn't turn them down so fast.

Best of luck!

I have sold many horses on gelding contracts and so far so good. Nathan I have said before (having taken a contract law class) You can write anything you want in a contract and if the other party signs then its a valid contract and can be enforced if the other party chooses to take it higher. For example I could write a contract saying the horse has to wear a pink bow everyday and if the other party signs it---its a valid contract. (silly yes but gets the point across)

You would not believe some of the things I have seen written in real estate contracts and yes they are valid and enforceable LOL

Usually we do it because its not the right time of year to geld. For example I will not geld this time of year as its too hot and there are too many flies. So the colt has to wait until fall. So if someone wants one right now they would have to sign a gelding contract. And yes holding the registration papers until the colt is gelded is extra insurance.

The easiest way to do it is offer a partial refund once they geld. So charge full price initially, and refund whatever you guys agree upon once the vet gives a gelding certificate.

And of course, get it in a contract.

Good To Know Kay, Thanks

Nathan, partial refund once gelded sounds perfect because it does sound like they want to pay less for the horse anyway.

When I used to bred Shepherds years ago. I sold all pups for one price....show, companion, sex...didnt matter. But as an incentive for people to be responsible dog owners. Show me spay or neuter certificate..they get 40.00 back....take him/her to puppy class and show me that it was completed 25.00 back, basic obedience= 40.00, every point toward championships 20.00 and so on. So these people ended up with a really well adjusted, trained and polite dog and that made me happy and the new owners could almost get their new dog for free!!

Sounds a bit like they are trying to get a deal to me, and as Nathan said there is no way to enforce a gelding contract... Just a thought. Perhaps like mentioned, offer a partial refund with proof of gelding.

Thanks so much everyone. I did write back to them yesterday, but haven't heard back since, so I don't know what to think. Chanda, I do admit, that thought did cross my mind, and if they did just want a deal, that's fine...to a degree. I just hope folks don't feel they would have to be shady or deceptive with me just to get a deal. I am offering my horses for sale, with full intent to do just that...sell them. I am more than willing to talk negotiably with anyone...just please folks, don't initiate things with feeling you have to "take me for a ride" to get something from me....ok???
default_wacko.png
I won't bite you...
default_wink.png
By all means, let's talk...I'll be straight with you....but I do kindly ask the same of you with me, ok???
default_wub.png

Kay....I'd be grateful if you might could share a copy of your contract you use...please email me?
default_wub.png
[email protected]

Thanks again so much everyone, for all your help.
default_wub.png

I would have no problems selling a stallion on a gelding contract.

Generally, (and especially in this breed!) geldings are "worth less" (worth less money, not WORTHLESS!) and to a buyer who is looking to buy a gelding, will want to get the most for their money. In breed showing, geldings have to be pretty nice to be competitive, too!

I would understand a buyer wanting a market value price on a gelding, and being interested in gelding a stallion they like otherwise.

I personally would hold registration papers, make them pay the "gelding price" and then turning the papers over (changed to GELDING) to the buyer when the deed has been done. Or, have the horse gelded before it leave the property.

Andrea

I've sold several horses with a gelding contract. Ideally, I like to geld them before they leave my property, but when that isn't possible, I just hold the papers and have the buyer send me the gelding certificate. I then send the gelding certificate and registration papers in to the office.

Real estate contracts are enforceable because someone else escrows the goods... ie the morgage holder. But once you sign over a horse its theirs, you have no say in what happens to it. They can decide not to geld the same day they sign and buy, and you are SOL. I personally don't believe in holding registration papers, I don't think its ethical. I'd do the refund if I was doing that kind of sale, so there is an incentive to geld but no PENELTY if they don't.

Real estate contracts are enforceable because someone else escrows the goods... ie the morgage holder. But once you sign over a horse its theirs, you have no say in what happens to it. They can decide not to geld the same day they sign and buy, and you are SOL. I personally don't believe in holding registration papers, I don't think its ethical. I'd do the refund if I was doing that kind of sale, so there is an incentive to geld but no PENELTY if they don't.
It's perfectly ethical to hold Registration papers, as long as the contract outlines that they are to be held until the Buyer has proof the horse is gelded. As a buyer, I'd rather just wait on the papers until I could geld the horse (I'd rather not pay the higher stallion price, and then have to additionally come up with MORE money to geld, and then wait on the Seller to send me the difference back. Sometimes a gelding price can be $1,000's less! I once bought a gelding that would have been $4500 as a stallion and $1500 as a gelding... you bet I'd rather wait on the papers!!!)

Andrea

I sold on a gelding contract with no problemo whatsoever because

1. My vet at the time was located far away. The trip charge alone would have killed me.

The buyers vet was only 2 miles away from them.

2. I will not geld a horse in the summer. I think they can bleed more and too many bugs out there.

It was a very simple contract plain and easy:

I hold the papers until you geld the horse.

Soon as I get verification of gelding, I send you the papers.

Like I said, no problemo!
default_saludando.gif

Thank you so much Mona! I'm printing this out. Thank you!
default_wub.png

and...
default_sad.png
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to cause any contraversy here.
default_wacko.png

Hi Tanya,

I've never sold on a gelding contract so have no idea about that :)

But I just wanted to say I am shocked he has not sold as a stallion yet!! Believe me if I had the room for one more stallion, and the money, I'd buy him in a heartbeat!!

I love your champagne stallion!! I am truly surprised no one has snatched him up at your latest extremely reasonable asking price that you sent out in emails just a day or so ago.

Susan O.

Sorry Tanya I didnt see this until now. But looks like Mona hooked you up

You did not cause any controversy! Its just a difference of opinion.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back