Selling Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
I really hate selling horses. I have come across so many people that want a good horse for nothing.

NO FLAMES PLEASE, but I pay for quality horses.

Got an email from a lady seen my add for my mare.

She wanted her bred, well I didn't breed her this year because she is having her foals late in the season and I wanted spring babies. Anyway I am no longer breeding the minis so I have her for sale.

this is her reply

Nicole,

I understand you can't sell her for less than what you paid.

$*****is a good price for a double reg. mare , but a bred one.

I raise foals, so for me I'm looking at it from my end, I can't breed her

till spring, I would have no foal from her for aleast a year and a half .

for me that's not productive.

Good luck on your showing venture,

Is it just me AHHHH!! what are we doing, is it just about production here or about buying quality horses and waiting for nice babies. Things don't happen over night and I would rather pay more money for nice quality horse then buy just anything because its bred.

I am not mad because she was not interested in my mare. Its the whole concept of production, production, production, then if you can't get rid of the babies then they go to auction for near nothing.

I am really sorry but thats is just my opinion, PLEASE NO FLAMES.

ADDED:

By the way I am asking $1800 but did reduce it for her. she still thought that was expensive for an open mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well is she broke to drive, trained to show halter, have a show record? You surely can't expect people to pay top dollar for a horse just to look at! I guess if you are selling her as a broodmare most people are going to want the mare confirmed in foal. I also would be gun shy about paying high dollars for a broodmare without some kind of assurance she is breeding sound and of course the best assurance is confirmed in foal! I have been burned more times than I care to recall buying open mares for breeding stock. Though most of my mares are bred only every other year or less when buying, unless I know the seller well, I would want the mare in foal or with a foal by her side.

stormy said:
her as a broodmare most people are going to want the mare confirmed in foal.  I also would be gun shy about paying high dollars for a broodmare without some kind of assurance she is breeding sound and of course the best assurance is confirmed in foal! 
486308[/snapback]

Well confirmed in foal means I MIGHT get a foal..broodmares can absorb, abort at any time and even if she carries full..there is no warranty she could have a dystocia and never get pregnant again..

Do your homework..get info on the breeders..I much rather have a open mare that has been good taken care off..we give our girls off too..that does not mean they BAD broodmares!

Could it be she wasn't trying to get you to take less or whatever, but explaining to you why she wasn't going to buy her? Was this her first correspondence about the mare? If so then it's kind of annoying, but if you had been discussing the mare together, then I can see what she wrote as a way to let you know "thanks, but she's not the right one for me because..." which I usually try to do with people I have inquired about. I'm not saying they should change anything about what they are asking or offering with the horse but want to let them know it's not going to be the right one for me and give them a reason so they won't wonder why.

having nothing to do with this add or the reply as a very general statement i agree our breed is about breeding more which is sad.

The Lady never asked me any questions about her. She is 9 years old, had a foal every year except once she missed because the stallion was sterile.

She foaled easy for us.

BUT I can't guarantee anything, it all depends on the stallion she is bred to or the care the mare gets.

No she has not been shown, or broke to drive. BUT I see a lot of mares that are of great value because of the babies they produce or the pedigree they come from. These mares have not been shown and are selling for great amount of money. In my area some people have an interest in the showing aspect of it but not all.

Besides this mare is not selling for a lot of money and besides I am selling her for less then what I paid for her.

nicole said:
The Lady never asked me any questions about her.  She is 9 years old,  had a foal every year except once she missed because the stallion was sterile.  She foaled easy for us. 

BUT I can't guarantee anything,  it all depends on the stallion she is bred to or the care the mare gets. 

No she has not been shown, or broke to drive.  BUT I see a lot of mares that are of great value because of the babies they produce or the pedigree they come from.  These mares have not been shown and are selling for great amount of money.  In my area some people have an interest in the showing aspect of it but not all.

Besides this mare is not selling for a lot of money and besides I am selling her for less then what I paid for her.

486351[/snapback]

Appears to me that YOU have put an emphasis on PRODUCTION and not PERFORMANCE but are upset because someonelse has done the same. Be thankful she explained why she was not interested and didn't just leave you hanging. Prop your feet up, have a coke, and go on about your day.

Well I can honestly say I have sold all of my horses for less then I paid for them. THe market is crappy right now.

Also if I was looking for a broodmare, I would want one that is comfirmed in foal, or if not it better be because of them showing.

Also a mare that has been a broodmare all her life, isnt gonna really be able to get fit for the show ring again.

I have sold/offered open broodmares and always get that same question why are they open. With one mare in particular she was with a two year old colt, he only settled 2 mares that year, produceing 2 fillies(one overo, and one trovero. )

People want a broodmare, they want just that a mare who is proven, and they can see offspring, preferabley what they are currently nurseing.

I will say for a open broodmare in this area, $1800 is high. You didnt say bloodlines, or registration of this mare. I would expect at least some bloodlines that are known. If she is R only she is kinda high(dont get me wrong I love R) but most people that have broodmares want them to be double. My double registured Martins Buster Bond and Orion Light Vanthuttenst grandaughter I bought for $1200 and she was bred to a double registured homozygous pinto stallion.

Coming from a thrid party, I can see how that woudl be upsetting, she may have gotten your hopes up and such. But I'd think $1800 woudl be awful steep too, espeically if htey are not trained to do anything, and open to boot. That's putting a lot on the papers, and papers aren't what completly makes a horse, they have to have some talent to go along with that. It may be less than what you paid, but someone may have suckered you too, you may just have to keep her till you make your money back in foals or sell her for a cheap price and be wiser next time. Don't intend to get flamed, but it's the way I see it.
unsure.gif

Well, I have a couple different opinions. First $1800 is a good price in my opinion for a good all around broodmare that is open for the year. Over the years I've come to the opinion that if you buy the best then you will produce the best. That said I have a couple of excellent broodmares that I bought AMHR registered only for under 1000 4 or 5 years ago. I would pay $1800 for a good filly that I wanted to add to my broodmares. If you repeatedly sell cheap/buy cheap then you are not doing a breed any favors.

On the flip side if the lady was looking for a certain type bred mare then I could see her rejecting her if she wasn't bred. But I most surely don't agree with her comment abt it being too steep for an open mare.

Debi

ADDED: Before someone misunderstands completely and jumps my behind I wanted to clarify. There are some great buys out there on excellent mares under that price, too. I've bought a few over the years at dispersal sales. But as a rule if you buy cheap in todays market you are probably not getting the best you can.

What it comes down to is finding "the right fit" for your mare.....whether it's to be a broodmare, a future show animal in halter or performance, or as a pet......$1800 is NOT too high if someone is willing to pay it or close to it if they want her and are going to give her a good home!

If someone is truly interested in her as a broodmare, what will be important is her conformation, her pedigree, and her foaling history......having her currently pregnant is not always a plus because she may be bred to a stallion the buyer doesn't care for!

For someone interested in a future show mini, they will be interested in her conformation and her attitude and personality for training.

As a pet.....they will be looking at her personality, cuteness, and that "connection" that can happen in person.

So, don't give up......Your "right fit" is still out there for your mare.

MA

Latest posts

Back