Selling a house - Paint the interior or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
Looks like our house is not going to sell in this market........ My daughter says faux painted & sponge painted walls are out.
default_sad.png
Sooo painting the interior walls is going to be my fall project.............. Friends say don't bother as most people are going to repaint anyway.......... Being an older house I think the 20 year paint draws more attention to the age of the house.

I'm looking for neutral color suggestions that will appeal to the majority of house hunters? Anyone care to share their favorite safe will not be out in a few years paint color?

My daughter says I should paint the family room a color called "prairie green". She says it is a popular color NOT a trendy color. I do not like green so I may ignore her suggestion. By the way this room has paneling on the walls that have been painted over once.

I would stick with tans, beiges or light yellows. That's what they always do on the tv shows. It looks really nice a crisp if you paint the trim a bright white (also the window casings) and the walls that neutral color. We just painted our 1980s house (just recently bought). The walls were that off white eggshell and wall paper. I did nice stark white trim and window casings. Then the walls are a nice light tan (I did do a nice dark brown accent wall which looks way nice). Totally new feel to the house and it looks so nice! Amazing what a little paint and elbow grease will do.
default_laugh.png

I would vote hands down for an off white.........eggshell is a good one........It lightens and brightens a room, plus if someone comes in and wants to decorate to a "theme", which of course means RE-PAINTING some crazy color, the off white is a good base.

Cathy no doubt about it, stay safe with antique white or off white or very light beiges. Stay far away from color if you are trying to sell.

I would also do neutrals. I would make the neutral color dark enough that your home does not have the steril look, as I call it.
default_yes.gif

Cathy, my mom had her house up for sale for what felt like 4ever. We suggested she paint the walls. Funny she had painted paneling too! I was 12 when we moved in there, I'm 53 now. Anyways, she had it painted...walls a soft butter cream with eggshell ceilings..so bright! Still didn't sell. The family room rug was as old as the house and brown shag, so she opted to replace it with an inexpensive berber in taupe. The company noticed her maple hardwood floors were sorry looking and offered to give them a freshener for a good deal and she did it. Then we opened it up, let the wind blow all the old air out (totally stale) and she sold it 2 weeks later albeit for $139,900 but it sold and she was thrilled. It was a split level ranch with 3 floors and a cellar with a huge yard. I say..paint, no green tho.

I am a fan of the show Sell This House. They hide cameras and record people's reactions and the owners watch the playback. Makes them understand that people have a hard time picturing themselves in a house that is too personalized or looks like it needs too much work. In two days, they paint, clear all personal belongings and clutter and stage the house. The difference is amazing. People touring the house can get all hung up on a color, or even your collection of ceramic roosters (just making something up on that one but you get the idea) and don't really focus on visualizing their things in your home.

So, pack up all the pictures, knick knacks, excess furniture, paint, pay attention to anything that might make the rooms look small or dark and do your best to make them brighter and larger looking. It will be hard to put these things away, but just remember, now you are partially packed for the great exit!

They would have a field day with the sponge painted walls. They don't always paint neutral colors which was suprising, but it always comes out beautiful.

Go to http://www.aetv.com/sell_this_house/index.jsp for many pictures and tips, and if you get A & E, watch the show. Very eye opening.

I would strongly agree that you need to paint especially if you have sponge painted walls. Your daughter is right and that is a very good color if you pick the right shade. The houses I have shown, the last thing the buyer wants to do is have to paint right away. Usually they want to just be able to move in and make changes later. But if your scared of the green you can always do neutral. It will still brighten it up and probably make it look bigger.

While your painting start packing. Pack up nick nacks, pictures, books if you have a lot. Also pay close attention to kitchens and baths. Really de clutter those. There should be very little stuff on the kitchen counters, bath counters.

People that I have shown houses to get so distracted by "stuff" all you want them looking at is your house.

Ok I'm off to buy some paint............. I've carried out boxes of stuff & put it in the barn but now I need to move it so we can go pick up our hay.......... I've taken out so much that I had to buy potted plants so the furniture would not be bare....... I just need to tear off some dated wall paper & paint........ I was wanting to wait until we moved to buy new couches/ sectional but I think I will pitch these outdated patterned ones too & buy now. Might be awhile before we sell.
default_sad.png
Thanks all.

Yes, absolutely paint! A light colored, clean coat of paint goes a long way to freshen and brighten a house, esp an older one. Good advice to pack away odds and ends, the less "stuff" there is the more spacious your rooms look. Put a little vanilla on the stove when someone is coming to look, very enticing aroma.
default_smile.png

We had rent property (& my husband sold real estate) for years....he is meticulous about going in and repainting (don't forget the ceiling), cleaning carpets & floors, just generally freshening the house. Lots of people are unable to see potential in a house that needs work. Just keep it neutral.

Jan

Here's another great website from HGTV http://frontdoor.com/ Remember that less is more when it come to furnishings and that slipcovers and plain sheets are a lot less expensive than new furniture or window treatments. A nice tablecloth does wonders for a dated table (like mine~LOL) and it's a lot easier to paint cabinets/certain furniture than invest in new.

Oh yes, definately paint, neutral colors though...eggshell/off white...light beige or something. I'd stay away from the green (although my bedroom in painted a sage green). I think fresh paint really makes a difference.

I hate to paint!

I agree with all on the neutrals and less clutter....less is always "more" when touring a home for sale. Hey, the fresh potted plants are a nice thought if the containers blend well....so are some controlled silk ones. Consider renting a storage space for temporary use.

Also, do a real quick look at the exterior "landscape". If you have bushes, flower beds, walkways, you should be sure that they are groomed. Fast trims, weedings, lot of mulch to cover the sins
default_wacko.png
and, in general the same -- neat, welcome, uncluttered. "Curb appeal"

It's true, people often have NO imagination!! And the move itself is often such a huge effort that they do not want to do much in the way of anything more than unpack. Only the resale buyers have the insight to see a diamond in the rough. They also have the bottom dollar offers, for a good reason!

Latest posts

Back