Neverending Saga: Fall Cleaning and Decorations!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I've been so busy I could lay down and croak! Its that time of year again when I have to overhaul the house in preparation for our seasonal decorations. You know I am always complaining about this house of horrors that never seems to be a money pit so once again I feel like Lily Munster. The problem at hand is the sagging roof line now that needs some serious attention (sigh). Sometimes I wish Dr. Kevorkian would just show up and give it a shot in the shingles and let this place finally demise. Nevertheless, even a crazy old house can be filled with lots of fun stuff.

I cleaned out the pantry, organized all the food and washed down the cabinets. Washed down the washer, dryer, and kitchen appliances and shined them up really good. I washed down all the woodwork, washed down the living room walls, and painted the mud room slash my little office space known as the "dark hole". It was intended to be a mossy, kind of sagey green but those little paint swatches on the card from the paint store looked a whole lot different in the store! Dan says my new walls look like baby vomit.....and I have to agree. Too late now, my budget for a gallon of paint has been spent so it is what it is. Back to the cleaning, I moved all the furniture, washed the leather couch and reclyners and cleaned all the rest of it, washed the windows and doors, did the high dusting and washed all the floors and even hauled out miscellaneous cooties that get in the corners. Took down all the summer valances and washed, ironed and put up my long drapes. Somewhere in there I managed to bake a couple of pies and banana breads with the help of my very good friends, Sara Lee and Pillsbury. I don't know what else I did but I did it and my house smells so squeaky clean. Whew! And no, I'm not for hire. This took four days.

Finally Dan got the decorations out of the loft for me and it took me two days to do the inside. Its basically the same old stuff, so to keep it from getting boring I move it around and make it look different from the year before. Had to toss out a couple of old things that were worn out and added a couple of new things and designed a new center piece using real stuff from outside this year; pinecones, acorns, leaves, apples and pears from Hus' orchard on a large charger with a candle in the middle. Speaking of candles, I discoverd "candle warmers" and they are such a great invention: I get the scent and still have my candles to use over and over again. They are $6.00 at Walmart. Soon as I get some time I'm going to attack Hus's little grape vines and make some wreaths.

Last but not least CMHR is selling some wonderful festive halters with matching leads and dog collars and leashes for all holidays. There is a gorgeous fall themed halter I want to get for Baby Chrissy with beautiful autumn leaves around it. It would look so pretty against her dark chestnut hair coat.

I don't have any real pumpkins or gourds yet, I'll wait for October for that but I am going after some corn stalks today with Amy! I can't wait to see her blasting through the corn field. Should be a riot. For now I am useing "cheater" pumpkins outside because they seem to last forever if you put a couple of coats of spray enamel on them and I use them year after year.

Anyhow, this is from last fall so you get the idea. It pretty much looks the same. Hope I inspired you to get decorating. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty Your home looks so warm and welcoming that I feel I could drop in anytime and you would have the coffee or tea on. You did a beautiful job with the video

Yvonne

That was just beautiful Marty.

But I am tired now, with all the work you have done.

I have always wanted to move to Tennessee so when you get tired of your beautiful place let me know....
default_biggrin.png

I just loved that! I have been wanting to get our decorations out and buy new ones. I really enjoy this time of year. I always look forward to your holiday spirit Marty.
default_yes.gif

Beautiful. Your farm is my dream farm. I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
default_smile.png

Very nice Marty
default_yes.gif

I do wish you were for hire though, my house could use it and wouldn't you like to come visit Maine?

You make me tired just reading your post as I sit here in my office with the computer pulled away from the wall since I didn't finish putting everything back after scrubbing like you did. I have plans of finishing the job and cleaning house today but I might just go back to bed and pull the covers over my eyes. As Scarlett says, "I'll think about that tomorrow".

OK Marty, got my butt of the seat, and did some house cleaning and put away all the outside stuff that we had out for our grand kids.

Glen cut the lawn, and I did some major cleaning inside the house.

Now, can you go and relax so I can.

Having some friends over for roast beef supper
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back