selling a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira98

Reaction score
Okay I have a few ? and would like some of my forum family's advice.

I have my full size stallion listed for sale on a few sites well i got an inquiry about him a few days ago

it was in half french half not so good english.

I replied to the person and today got another email from the same person i believe ( dif email addy and phone number)

that said thanks for my answers and wanted more photos and to see copy of his papers.

I have never sold a horse to anybody not in the U.S. and I just want to make sure its not a scam etc... and to make sure

that if its legit its something that would be easy to do.

I read the original email and they asked about him being sabino and if he had been tested and they mentioned something about

a procedure he had ( it wasnt a procedure i had mentioned in the ad he was unshown due to an old injury that left a scar )

most scam people just ask if you still have the horse etc.. and its current condidtion etc... and well im just keeping my gaurd up

Im not sure if i want to sell Dewey ( my avatar photo) becasue I have seen his foals now and really want to try to stand him

next year and see if I can make enuff money to pay for my hay for the year off stud fees you know have him pay for himslef LOL

okay well if anybody has any suggestions on what i should watch out for and what i should expect let me know !

If i do sell him that opens the door to A FEW MORE MINIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive got my eye on a few LOL

Horses big and small are selling overseas like crazy right now so I sure would not write it off as a scam. I would ask what quarrintine center they are planning on using. THat center usually makes all arrangements for International papers and all you usually have to do is get a regular Coggins and Health and most often the money is wired to your account. At least the couple times I have done it - it worked that way

be very careful...and do a lot of research on the breeders. the AMHA ICAMH AMHR is not really recognised in France , and nice shetlands that are acceptable for the SPC and French clubs are dime a dozen there...why does she want a AMHA registered horse ? and what does she courently have . I dont know of 1 AMHA regnoized show in France. The big benefit show is this weekend in Holland ,will she be there? The club is just starting to get somewhat noticed here, but it has a long way to go still. ask her what she wants to do with your stallion, also an AMHA stlye shetland will never win against a native , they are too refined .... I have watched it happen many times ... sooo , I wonder where she will be showing, and if she is just breeding , will she breed to AMHA reg mares or native shetlands? Does she know about the AMHA ? ? you can ask. and they are not selling like hotcakes ...we too feel the economy crunch , and breeders over here are stuck with a lot of colts , just sitting on the lots becomming more and more wild and double registered, because no one wants to buy right now.Everything is a lot more expesive here in Europe ... a yearling mare completely untrained will cost you about 6 thousand euro :DOH! hay is expensive , tack is expensive , to show your horse outside of your country you have to open a garnet that is time consuming and costly every year. Going through customs at the borders is costly , shows are costly....every little thing costs here. and there is a very small market for AMHA AMHR registered horses, because there are not enough shows...If the ICAMH would open more shows there would be more of a market for these horses. sorry for the news

"the AMHA ICAMH AMHR is not really recognised in France "

You are talking about a full size horse aren't you?

If you DON'T want to sell him, make that clear now. It's not fair to string someone along and then decide not to go through with the deal.

I would ask them to call you so you can discuss details. When I told overseas, the gentleman called me several times to discuss issues. If just e-mail, ask if they have imported horses before and who they had used. How do they expect to make payment. I used EZ2 Spot in Texas, and they were wonderful. They export full size and miniature horses.

Krissy, this is the full-sized Paint stallion in her avatar, not a mini.
default_unsure.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
well...didnt look ...and same goes..my oppinion does not change

Be really careful..and do lots of checking. There have been a lot of "overseas buyers" emailing people here with "broken english" ...most of them are scams. If you are considering selling him make sure you checkout the person buying, it may seem extreme but get references etc. Better safe than sorry
default_sad.png

Back