Second filly for Songcatcher

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
We had our second foal of the year, and second filly, born on April 10. I had wondered if this mare might be homozygous for Black or Tobiano (even though her dam is registered as solid Chestnut, I suspect she is actually a Silver Bay like her dam, and I have seen many minimally marked Tobianos registered as solid). I have considered testing her, but just never got around to it.

Here is the mother, McSperitts Masterpiece Tori:

IMG0385_00_017.jpg

Here is the sire, Cuddlesome Shadow Dancer: I already knew he was heterozygous for both Black and Tobiano based on the foals he has produced.

ShadowDancerAMHA-1.jpg

And here is the baby, Songcatchers Ruby: No need to test the momma now.

IMG_5513.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

Pretty filly, Freeland. Who would have guessed those two would have given you a solid red!
default_rolleyes.gif

Isn't it something how those genes work!

She is a QT- congrats!

Peggy

LOL!! Always expect the unexpected!! She's very cute -- congratulations
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

Congrats on your filly
default_wub.png

I would have never ever imagined a red foal from those two.

Suprises come in all colors!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

I just love Tori! She has beautiful blue eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]She is just a little doll with a really pretty head and I love, love her Mom! [/SIZE]

Congratulations on the filly count!

I'd have lost a bet on that one!

I bred a palomino and a buckskin and got a bay. Not as odd as this filly's coloring, because at least mine were both solid parents.

Pretty girl!

Don't you just LOVE getting solid reds from two black pinto parents?
default_laugh.png
She is pretty darn cute though... Congrats!!

yankee minis-getting a bay from palomino and buckskin is pretty common. Just like breeding 2 pintos together and getting a solid. You have a 25% chance of getting a double dilute, 50% chance of getting a heterozygous dilute, and a 25% chance of getting no cream at all. Then the sire could be heterozygous or homozygous for black and agouti-dam could be heterozygous or homozygous for agouti as well which then decides whether or not you get chestnut, black, or bay
default_smile.png
I just love foaling season...never know what you're going to get!

Regardless of color, I am very pleased with both of my fillies. I just find the results amusing. I went to the color calculator on Animal Genetics and calculated with the sire heterozygous for Black, Tobiano, and Sabino and the dam heterozygous for Black, Tobiano, Splash, and LWO, and the chances of a Solid Chestnut were .78%.

default_wub.png
regardless she is very pretty and healthy. I need that filly fairy sent up here to Kansas. My maiden mare was due 4/12 and still waiting
default_impatient.jpg
Love that mare of yours too...I could see some beautiful babys from her and Fiesta
default_rolleyes.gif

LOL, that was NOT what I expected to see!!!! I bet it wasnt for you either!! She is adorable and I agree, no need to test mama! Congrats on your cute new filly!!

Congratulations on your filly freeland!
default_aktion033.gif

She's really cute!

Back