Scurry... Gonna try it.... Advice please???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLM

Reaction score
So last weekend I went to the Western States Horse Expo and spoke to the people at the Sargent Equestrian Center booth. I was just curious becuase they had driving stuff and almost EVERYTHING else was Big Horse based. So in chatting with them they told me about Scurry driving and that I should come out.

Sunday I went out and watched a Scurry event at their place and I was at the edge of my seat. I think this looks like a blast. Prior to my forced retirement from big horses I competed in 3 day eventing. So this "Scurry" is right up my alley.

Anyone have any tips or advice for me???
default_smile.png

From what I watched and have read, It is similar to a cones driving course but with several different patterns from optimum time to complete, to slalom, to fastest time...

The below link has information on the facility I visited. It is done with all different size horses from the VSE (mini) to draft division. It can be done with a single horse or pairs.

http://www.sargentequest.com/scurries.html

It is a blast we have had some little competitions with driving club. Everyone has the biggest smile after them!!

Scurry is a total blast! i was invited to a friend's last year and it was so much fun! We started with a short cones pattern, then did the gates of a cde type hazard (oops, obstacle) then more cones, then another obstacle, then more cones. Although it is a timed event, I was driving my pair so did not really go crazy. this was actually the first time I cantered the pair. they had a really bouncy, techno type music playing (youtube made be dub in music as the music playing in the arena was copyrighted) and the horses really got into it. we did each pattern twice, and I bettered my time both patterns. If you get a chance, try it! You will be hooked!

Thanks everyone.

I am going to try it July 14... I will just do the optimum time course to try it out. I can't wait!
default_smile.png

Check out the American Driving Society web page. They off er several timed events in their shows,j scurry among them. Check the rule pages for very good discriptions and sugested course layouts.

It so bums me that I'm this close to the Sargent EC scurries and yet just a bit too far to justify the gas for a one-day event.
default_sad.png
Scurry would be a blast and a half and I think my Kody would love it! If you get a chance go try it and then consider doing CDE (combined driving events) as those are just like 3-day eventing but without the jumps. Love it!

Leia

The 14th was Sunday - how was it??????? These sound so cool and like so much fun - I'd love to do one.

Bumping this up to see if anyone has been scurrying of late?

It looks like great fun and the events I have seen from around the world seem to draw decent crowds and sponsorship. I suppose it makes for good watching? In every group I have seen on the net that hold regular scurries, the minis are really well represented, yeeehah the small ones!!!

Latest posts

Back