Saying goodbye to a precious friend : (

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
default_sad.png
We said goodbye to our old Collie this evening, and I just wanted to share these photos and a little of her story as a bit of a tribute to her. We have had many dogs over the years, and with several geriatric adoptees passing away in the last few years, it certainly has not gotten any easier to say goodbye.

Shortly after we moved to the farm here, we met Jenna who was being fostered by a friend of a friend. To make a long story short, she had been found on a road hit by a car, and sat at a shelter on a broken leg and hip for eight days before any surgery was done!!! Why we do not know. After not being claimed and finally receiving surgery, she went to her foster home, and from there we adopted her.

This was THE sweetest and most gentle creature I have ever known. She did not have a mean bone in her body. She was wonderful with kids, and other animals, and was never far from our sides. She was never pushy, waiting patiently for her turn when it came to pets and treats, and she made us laugh, willing to share her kibble with any number of cats, but fiercely guarding it from the other dogs. And no matter how many comfy sleeping spots were available, she adored cramped spaces, the tighter she had to curl up the better. Especially a laundry basket...she never minded whether the clothes in it were clean or dirty! :bgrin

We did not know her exact age, but the vet thought she was about 2 when we got her, so she was approximately 13. The last year Jenna had been slowing down and appeared to be starting to have arthritis. We feared the time was coming when we would have to make a decision regarding her future. This evening however, after happily eating her dinner and curling up on a quilt for a nap, we heard a strange howling noise, and arrived at her side just in time to say goodbye. I think it was her heart as her circulation appeared poor, and we had time only to pet her and whisper in her ear what a good and precious girl she was, and then she was gone. We are thankful she did not suffer, and that her timing prevented her needing us to make a decision for her, but she has left a huge hole in our hearts. This is how I will remember her, curled up in the laundry basket
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: and letting the cats taste her kibble.

Jennabasket1.jpg
Jennadinnerwithcats.jpg

What a wonderful tribute to a grand old girl. I am sorry for your loss but she gave you one last gift and that was she made the decision you were so dreading on her own. I am glad you were there to say goodbye to her.

Beautiful story, snif, hugs to you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_bye-sad.gif
: Thank you sharing with us, a small part of how wonderful she was (and still is!)

MA

:no: Awww Beccy, I am so sorry, I now how much your babies mean to you, and I remember you speaking so fondly and emailing me pics of Jenna curled up in her laundry basket. (((((HUGS)))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. She looks like an absolute sweetheart! She was even wonderful in the end...letting you know she was going so you could be there, and especially that you didn't have to "make the decision".

Beccy, I am so sorry. It sounds like she was a very special collie, you were lucky to have her, but she knew she was lucky to have had you. I had my collie for 16 years,until she somehow disapeared. It has been said that collies go away to die. I am glad that you were able to say goodbye. ((((( hugs for you)))))))

Beccy, I am so sorry for you loss of this beautiful friend and companion. (((hugs))) to you for giving her the home she so deserved. I know how hard it is to lose our pals, I lost 2 of our dogs last year. They lived to be a wondeful age of 18 and 16 yrs but it still hurts to think about it. We have our 13 yr old who has some "off" days but he is our baby, sometimes I wonder why we have animals it hurts so much when we have to say goodby. OK..now I am in tears ..Corinne

I am sorry for your loss and glad for you at the same time. I know how lucky you must feel to have shared your life with this very special spirit.

But oh it does leave a huge hole in ones heart.

Hugs

Bonnie

Oh, Beccy I so understand you pain and then again your joy--the joy of all the memories of a wonderful pet and companion but the pain of her loss. I too, know that pain at the loss of Snowball earlier this week. Remeber all the happy memories. I know that she called you to her side to say "So Long Dear Friend, Thanks for Your Love and Kindness over the years". Remember we will see them again.

{{{HUGS}}}

Ohhh I am sitting here in silent tears for your beautiful girl that you loved and will miss so much. What a gentle soul, how precious those memories you will have to cherish. I am so sorry for your loss.

Memories, brought tears to my eyes remembering Our Collie King he was 13 years old. Just lost Tobey before Christmas.

So glad she did not suffer and you where there for her. Thinking of YOU
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

{{{HUGS}}} I am so sorry that this time had to come. I have tears in my eyes from reading about her. What a sweet dog. It made me think about when I lost my close companion and best friend, Jynger, who went from a happy healthy 9 yr. old dog, to sickness that the Drs. couldn't help all over night. It has been 16 years, and I still miss her tremendously. I'm sorry for your loss. Pets can touch our lives just a close (and sometimes closer) than any human ever can.

~Karen

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. Lots of people don't get it when someone takes losing a pet so hard, but I know people here understand. Thanks for letting me share my sweet Jenna with you. (((Hugs))) to all of you who have also lost a pet recently.

Back