Saw a bird today,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
Little guy was fast, couldnt get a decent pic. Anyhow, he was tiny, nearly smaller than a Chickadee with body coloring very similar to a late winter American Goldfinch, olive drab. 2 white with one black bar on it shoulders. No cap, cream around its eyes. I looked through a finch book, w/no luck. THis guy sound familiar to you?

THanks, thats a start I found a website whatbird.com where it asks generic questions and narrows the list of what it can be. When I went back inside, he was attacking my wondows , I stood in front and he perched and glared at me, I swear he pinned his ears LOL Anyhow, when he did, his crest raised and he has a bright red dot.

Ok, per whatbird , the closest match is Huttons Vireo, close, but not quite as it doesnt mention that red dot. But just found it LOL (I have both pages open LOL) Its a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. WOOHOOO!!!! Thanks for the start with a Vireo ( I didnt know we had any here) here is the page for the kinglet Whatbird.com Ruby-crowned Kinglet

He's a cute little guy!
default_wub.png

Glad you figured it out. Always exciting when you see a new bird and can figure it out as to what it is. According to my book we don't have them in Wisconsin, just way, way south and way, way north, ie. Canada and way, way west. Missed us. Very pretty bird. Glad you saw him. I'd really like to see a bird pin his ears back though.
default_laugh.png

Have you ever seen the picture of the mad Bluebird? That is what this guy looked like. Perched and glared at me, was pretty funny. I have tried several times to take a pic, but he just wont sit still for me LOL Yes, its neat to see different birds, last year we had some Cedar Waxwings for a few hours.

Pepipony, thank you for the web site (whatbird). That should save me some time from going through bird books trying to identify a new bird.

Charlotte

YVW! I did find one thing odd and hard to figure out. When you click on beak type/color/wing size etc, then choose 'next', it goes back to the same page, I thought I did something wrong. But you then choose another option and click next, it will again go back to the last page but the list of birds will narrow.

OMG...thank you for that! We have these little guys hanging around here in the wintertime. I told hubby just the other day that I saw a teensie weensie little bird, but did not recognize it...now I can tell him what it is! I bookmarked that site too!

Latest posts

Back