salt blocks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knighthawke

Reaction score
Hey I was just at the vet a while back and had a sick horse. I told her that the horse had a salt block she recommended giving loose salt because she had a few horses get sores in there mouth from trying to lick salt and that most didnt get enough salt from licking it.

Anyone here or see this?

Hey I was just at the vet a while back and had a sick horse. I told her that the horse had a salt block she recommended giving loose salt because she had a few horses get sores in there mouth from trying to lick salt and that most didnt get enough salt from licking it.
Anyone here or see this?
My horse loves her salt block, and I think enjoys the licking?

Lildrummer

What your vet said is true. You can provide both for your horse . I have a Hymalian natural salt block , and once a week I add a little table salt to their suppliments. best of you can add it to dry food so it drops to the bottom of the feed dish then they can eat it if they need to or leave it be.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have heard that a horse's jaws are not made for licking. Consequently, they either try biting off the salt block or may not use it. I do have a salt block available to my horses, but add loose equine salt to their grain everyday.

I used to have a horse that ran to the salt block every morning and slurped on it, so some horses are comfortable with licking!

If you have ever had a calf suck on your hand, you could feel the rough tongue of cattle that work well for licking salt blocks. Horses' tongues are smoother, and not as efficient at it.

Commercial feeds have salt, so check with your nutritionist before making changes to the feed.

In our area we are very selinum deficient. So salt is nessecary. My vet uses the micro equine mineral blocks in stall as we do, and ADM Quad Blocks in pasture. I will watch them stay at it for a while and then back off. they know what they need.

I also mix in 1/4 scoop of Gro Strong vitamins and minerals. More if they are being supplimented by oil, beat pulp, MSM....anything. And that was reccomended by my nutritionist.

I will say this is something I haven't heard, but will watch for it. Thank you for the info.

Krissy, I tried those himalayn blocks. I gave the mall one to my stallion. He lookes at me as if I were feeding him a terd! I want to try the big ones. Natural seems so much better. But here each one is $21 and for 16 horses, it adds up. I keep thinking I will start adding a few a week at the mill. Heck, if mine don't like them I can ship them to you.

We use the ADM Quad blocks as well. The blocks are not packed as tightly and it is much easlier for horses to get the quantity of salt and minerals they need. Also, the balance of salt to other minerals on the ADM blocks is designed specifically for a horse, not for cattle.

I have never heard of the ADM Quad blocks.

We have one of those giant selenium / salt blocks in the each paddock and in the stalls for our horses. They disappear, and I can see the grooves from their tongue, so they must be licking them.

We also buy the made-for-horses salt/mineral blocks. They are more porous than ordinary salt blocks and the horses can lick and chew on them much easier--all the horses go for them. I do have a few plain blue salt blocks out as some of the horses will use them. Some others, though, won't touch them at all. I've also tried putting loose salt out a few different times and the horses simply aren't interested.

Latest posts

Back