Sales Prices/Improving Economy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
I know mini prices have been declining over the past couple of years and breeders have been cutting back on their horses. I was bidding at the most recent dispersal sale and I noticed the bidding was intense and the prices started climbing. Granted, these are incredible horses and more than worth it but just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the economy and minis. Do you see things starting to get better? Are you breeding again?

I haven't offered anything for sale recently, but last year, I bought one of my "most expensive" to purchases horses to date (and think he's worth every penny -- a bred to the hilt tiny 3x National Halter champion)
default_wub.png

We have no foals due this year, because I wanted an emotional break, but our purchase and our retained champion sired buckskin and double dilute intensely Buckeroo fillies are all with the enhancement and continuation of our small breeding program in mind... plus, I LOVE them and that is a part of our equation
default_yes.gif

Of course, like most of us, this is a passion for H and I and not our source of income. We have and breed horses because we are emotionally committed and have specific goals we're pursuing that are not dollar related. WE are the best investment any of our horses ever made
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I also made an expensive purchase last year, so I am certainly helping the 'horse economy'.

I do have mares bred for this year. Can't wait for the foals to arrive!

Ditto.

I made one of my most expensive purchases ever late last year. But, I would never have been able to afford her at the height of the economy, so I consider her a bargain!

Lisa

We don't have anything bred for this spring due to the economy, but that does not stop us from buying at these bargain prices! Of course as breeders, we hope the economy snaps back someday. The smart breeder buys great horses at great prices when they become available. Plan for tomorrow and hope for today is my motto.

We did buy at the dispersal sale. This was not the most expensive horse I have ever purchased, but it was the best horse I have ever purchased! These horses were just too close to our breeding plan and at too great prices to pass up.

I know these prices were high to some, but a few years ago, they would have brought 3 times the prices of today. I don't know if they will ever go that way again, but I do hope some of the great bloodlines that took years to refine will not be lost to us forever with some of the dispersals I have seen going on. That would be a tragic loss to the whole industry. I am just thankful I was able to acquire my "prize".

Thank you for your replies. I thought they were all awesome horses too and I ended up winning Crystal N Velvet. I'm so new to minis still I'm just learning about pricing. Velvet's foal will be my first l (which I will keep). I never realized in a different economy the prices would be so much higher. As I said, I have lots to learn and consider myself fortunate to have all of you to learn from. Suzie, who did you win?

I made one purchase last year, a good price for an excellent filly.. I sold 5 horses last year I believe. I've just sold one horse already this year and do believe I have two more spoken for, one is a definite, the other is looking into shipping.. That would put me at just one for sale before new babies arrive, which I'm expecting for sure 3, maybe 4.. I've cut back a bit as I'm wanting to get down to just my pinto stallion and broodmares for him, plus I'd like to start showing this year..

Thank you for your replies. I thought they were all awesome horses too and I ended up winning Crystal N Velvet. I'm so new to minis still I'm just learning about pricing. Velvet's foal will be my first l (which I will keep). I never realized in a different economy the prices would be so much higher. As I said, I have lots to learn and consider myself fortunate to have all of you to learn from. Suzie, who did you win?
I won Little King Buckeroos I Stand Grand. I was ecstatic! I have wanted a Buckeroo son for many years, made the trek to Little King farm for sales and was outbid/outpriced in the past. I breed the Gold Melody Boy line for dilutes and double dilutes and have Gold Bar, Mickey Mouse, White Russian mares, grandsons and great grandsons here, but always wanted a closer bred stallion to BLB. I was prepared to pay a great deal more, so I consider myself so lucky to get him. I have spent years buying great mares to breed to and, although I absolutely love my White Russian stallions here and their get, I really needed this size and color to continue my program and improve. We have been retaining many of our horses bred here for the last several years to improve our program and also because many of our best bred mares are getting older and I don't want to lose those great lines. I basically breed for what I want now days.

Oh, Suzie!

He is awesome!!! Congratulations!!! He has produced some wonderful horses. I want to come see him in person this spring (and you and Mike of course!)

Super buy.

Lisa

Oh, Suzie!

He is awesome!!! Congratulations!!! He has produced some wonderful horses. I want to come see him in person this spring (and you and Mike of course!)

Super buy.

Lisa
Come on down anytime! I built a huge addition to my barn last year you need to check out
default_smile.png
We have a lot of people who come by to visit and spend what we call as "barn time"....just hanging out with the horses in the peace and quiet. Wonderful therapy.

I don't think we'll ever see the prices that were over 10 years ago again, at least not for a long time but I hope to see the prices increase, I think more people are really taking their time and paying for quality, and I think the auctions do help when it comes to selling horses. With myself I will be looking for those who can show not really looking to breed in the future but who knows, but breeding horses will be last on my list for purchases.

I think if people stopped giving horses away at give away prices that will help a lot.

I think if people stopped giving horses away at give away prices that will help a lot.

I agree....grade miniature horses around here ...free-$150....but a nice registered one is at least $800 except for the occasional one on Cl that somone bought as a pet and it came with papers...they sell fast and around 250...my way of looking at it is. ..stick to your price..the right person will see the quality eventually. I am breeding This year due to the age of my stallion..he is 17 ....and with animals anything can happen...I am planning on keeping most of his fillies for my herd...And crossing some of them over my Max white sabino colt...I am planing in showing this year also...there used to be money in horses...but with the cost of feed...hay....vets....etc....you barely break even....sometimes You don't....I don't look to make a killing...just help with some feed and hay.....I just enjoy them...

I have seen a large increase in inquiries and purchases this past year, for us at least. Have sold quite a few. Still not at prices they'd have gone for 5 -10 years ago, but to good homes at decent prices and that's all I could ask for. Finally moved some boys, thank goodness! I love them all, but I was starting to become a stallion hoarder lol.

I had really wanted Cavalier in the D'Armond sale, but he went a bit over my budget. I was glad to see such great prices though. As a breeder/seller, it is good to see that! Congrats to those that bought horses, especially to the person that bought Stan. He is really an amazing producing stallion. FAF Red to Remember is a son of his and he is one of the best producing stallions in the industry right now IMO. So I look forward to seeing your future foals with him
default_smile.png

We purchase through private sales. You might pay more but you definitely know more of what you are getting that way. I do not think our economy is improving yet. If it has, it certainly isn't reflected here. The unemployment rate is very high, homelessness is high, and crime is on the rise. Nearly every breed of horse that is selling sells at giveaway prices or is a giveaway. I think the high-priced sales are the minority. Do I think our economy will be this terrible always? No.

That said, I didn't breed a mare last year and I probably will not breed a mare this year. Horses and breeding (very minimally) is my passion too but if there isn't a market for them you can't just breed them to give them away, and you certainly can't keep them all.

It took my husband's company closing for me to realize that the only way I would be able to place my horses quickly enough, in a pinch (in this economy), is to give them away. If you know me, you know that a good home is my top priority, and I'm not against placing horses. BUT that isn't necessarily the best way. A person who is looking for a free horse may not necessarily have the means to care for him.

I also do it for myself, if I can't find the foal a home I do intend to keep him. For his lifetime, if that's the way it works out. You just can't keep them all. So, no, probably not breeding this year. Probably not buying another mini either. Hubby says no and he has been extremely supportive of my efforts, I have to respect his wishes too. We are keeping the last two orphaned kittens, and my oldest got a bird last year. God is blessing us in critters
default_laugh.png

It is a buyers market! Silver lining. If the buyers aren't too poor.
default_biggrin.png

I was glad to finally see some sale prices that were up from last year, but don't think sale prices have improved very much here on the east coast. I am breeding four mares this year, but not to foal out, I'm taking them to the Champion of Champions sale in the sring after having them ultra sounded. I'm not breeding any thing for myself until I sell a few more, I have way to many right now and I did'nt have any foals born last year, and none for this year either. I did just trade a nice mare for my web site being redone, so one less to vet and feed. Still hoping the economy improves around here as my son-in-law is still unemployed and they just moved in with us as they lost their home. I just need to keep the faith.

Depends here in MI, if your known in the show circut, or a bigger named farm, then yes you do fairly ok. If your like me, where your not that well known cause I dont show big time or well known, then NO! Only locals who want $100 minis for pets/breeding come and inquire. Then when they here my prices (which are very reasonable) they quickly say thats too high of a price and buy poor conformation/cheeper minis somewhere else. I only see this cause I do local mini farrier services and most times that same person has me out to trim their new minis and nearly everytime, Im blown away at the poor quality that they bought if not even dwarfy, and now bred it and expecting thir 1st ever mini and have no clue what they just did. Most times I just sperad my knowlege and do my best to point them in the right way after the fact. So I at least try to help either way. And then there's times where the buyer did well and bought from a good breeder and I always get asked, How did I do? I always give 2 thumbs up for them doing their homework 1st!

So I guess around here, it depends!

Otherwise this foaling season is my last till things pick up again. I never had a problem selling but this yr, Im still stuck with my 2011 filly but untill she sells, Ill show her and enjoy her!

Any other views here in MI?

Congrats to those that bought horses, especially to the person that bought Stan. He is really an amazing producing stallion. FAF Red to Remember is a son of his and he is one of the best producing stallions in the industry right now IMO. So I look forward to seeing your future foals with him
default_smile.png
Thanks- I do too. I love his refined head and features. I have a Shadow Oaks Gold Nugget daughter who is getting up in years..a Fisher's Jim Dandy daughter and a Little Kings Blackberry daughter that I definitely will use him for this summer. All these mares have produced excellent foals in the past and I expect them to do so again with him. My grandkids need some new foals to show next year....Then maybe next year my BLB and Wittmaaks Mickey Mouse granddaughters will get a chance.

The other stallions in the sale were outstanding in quality too.

I think the problem this year, at least out west here, is going to be hay prices. It has even been on the news. They say they are going to have problems with 1st crop because of lack of water these past 2 months. Then they are again concerned they will not get a 3rd crop. Hay prices go up and people start to cut down the number of horses they do have. If people can't get hay, then how much do you think they will pay for your foal crop no matter how much they are making from their job?

It was great to see the prices start moving in the right direction! I checked on the production sale often. Nice quality horses! People got some great deals!

I too have made the risky descision to buy some very high end horses this year. Some you have seen, but some I will post later. Not from the online sale. I was lucky they were close so I could see them in person and they would not have to be shipped. I also have to factor that into the price.

I have been able to purchase some horses this year that I never thought I could own.

It was a leap of faith. Someone said recently in a different thread that maybe minis were just a fad and now winding down. I have to hope that is not true.

I have seen some great farms closing down. I can only hope that the farms who seem to care nothing about quality will do the same.

The people who are only in it for the buck may find there are no bucks to be made. The people who are always working to improve minis will stay if they can.

I think their future is in our hands.

I have read about some of the old greats and it is said they were ahead of there time. Sometimes I wonder how true that is. I wonder then why don't all minis look as good or better than those by now?

I recently saw a show on TV that had a taxidermy mini. It was said to be from the turn of the century! It looked like a very nice conformed mini! it was being appraised by an expert in taxidermy. It was not a dwarf. If minis could look that good back then it makes me wonder what we have been doing all of these years!

Sorry if that sounded condesending. I am just rambling. I am looking at my own herd when I am thinking this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know horses still arent selling for what they use to but are getting better but not much better.

Latest posts

Back