Sales Lists on Web pages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyrose

Reaction score
Sales Lists on Web pages. Why would you have a link to a sales page and have horses listed on it as not for sale at this time? If they are not for sale why would you put them on this page. Leave them listed with your other horses. It wastes my time scrolling through.

I have already checked out your stallions and mares before I bother with your sale page.

Sorry to offend anyone but this practice makes it look like you don't know what a sales page is. Its supposed to be the horses available for sale.

I hear ya!
default_yes.gif
:

Some webmasters will add a simple line of text for little or no charge while they might charge considerably for changing photos from one page to another. Therefore, if a person has changed their mind on selling one and are not sure, they may opt for the simple text.

A similar peeve is when 9 out of 10 horses on a Sales Page are listed as "Sold". They are no longer for sale.

In our case we had three horses for sale & recently sold two of them. We have a sale pending on a mare that has a filly by her side........ We now have this filly marked "not for sale at this time". We had the filly priced but fortunately two others sold before her so we can now keep her... :aktion033: . The filly is also still there to show the lookers the quality of the foals that the mare that is for sale has................................. Also Lee & I being a small farm & only selling 1-3 horses a year do not have a long list of sale horses. We would not have a website if we did not put our sold horses on it... All the horses pictured as sold are also related to the ones that are for sale & recently sold.... Since the filly is listed as reference to the mare bing sold some people would assume the filly is also for sale...... If I did not put "not for sale" on the filly someone inquiring about her would get upset
default_wacko.png
: if they emailed for her price & info & found out that she was NOT for sale.

We on my website I have one on the sales page that way, but it was done by the lady that does my web site. I just have never said anything about it, because I didn't think it mattered. Now I have a different perspective and will ask that it be taken off and only be on the page where it needs to be. Learn something new everyday.

I do not mind if there are horses on the sale page marked as SOLD. Even if you do your own site it takes time move photos ect and it just easier to mark it sold until you have time to move it. I have a horses sold page, so people can see passed foals from a mare or stallion.

What I really dislike is the never changing for sales and foal pages. You know the ones with foals on thier foal page from 2003 or earlier and the sale page is the same, horses they have sold years ago.

I have seen some sites that have not changed in years..... Or they say to contact about horses for sale.. Ok fine I'll contact, but when it takes them weeks to reply..and then ask"what are you looking for?" When I told in the e-mail what I'm looking for.... I take it they have nothing worth telling me about and move on.

If you have a site take a few minutes week and update it even if it's to type in SOLD or Sale Pending..

But if you just leave it like is for along time do not compain you can't sell horses... JMHO

I have seen a lot of that on the sales pages of some very large farms. All I can come up with is that they want to show you the best they've produced (even if they're not for sale). So if they've got 3 NFS Worlds-quality horses on top, and 3 NFS Worlds-quality horses on the bottom, and 2 pet quality horses for sale in the middle, you feel like you're getting a rare opportunity to purchase stock from a reputable show farm. Then again, I know a lot of people that have the "Everything's for sale for the right price" mentality, and they figure if someone takes a fancy to one of their keepers, they'd be willing to negotiate.

I have come across a few web sites where the sales pages go on and on listing horses and below it's marked Sold...only to keep scrolling down and down and still getting the same info. I have a suggestion...why not make up a "Sold" page and keep the "Sales" page for horses that are available for sale?

In my case I have a filly listed on my sales page. I advertised her, planned to sell her but started showing her and changed my mind. I had a lot of people inquire about her but no one bought her so I decided that she was too nice to let go. Since she had been listed for sale on my sales page I put "No longer offered" in case anyone came back to check on her. This way they don't waste their time emailing me to find I am no longer offering her. I have been to sites and saw horses I liked and then check back on them and are just gone. Did they sell? This way there is no question. Then after a bit I will remove her from the page.

A sales list is for things for sale - period!

I don't mind for reference purposes a pending or sold as long as its removed in a timely fashion - meaning weeks not months! It is nice to know what happened to a particular horse, but to go to a site that is 50% or more sold - I figure they don't know what a sales list is for and are wasting my time - so bye!

Put a separate 'sold's page - that is were solds go!

Would you want a sales flyer from the grocery store or a catelog with all solds? I think some people believe a number of 'sold' horses makes them look more reputable or something, as I can't figure any other reason for it!

Well.....I am one who's guilty of not having an extra page for "sold" horses. That would be just one more expense for me, since I don't do my own website.

BUT.....I do have this notice at the very TOP of my Sales Page to let people know that I have nothing for sale at the current time, so they don't have to waste their time scrolling thru.
default_yes.gif
:

"All horses on our current sales list have been sold. We are expecting our last 2006 foal in September, and will be expecting our first foals from our 27" black pinto Legionaire son in the Spring! Please check back for foal announcements & additions to our Sales Page. Thank you for looking!"

This is a very simple thing to add....and people can see what you've sold (if they want), or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always figured when i see the horses on the sales pages and say 'not for sale at this time' that they are planning on offering this horse for sale in the future but not at the moment and want people to get a look at it now for when they put it up for sale.

Also if you check back weeks or a few months later that horse is offered for sale at that time usually.

I do not have a seperate sold page either, but all my horses that are sold are marked as such. I do my own site, and due to time, room on my system, etc.. I do not have a seperate page for horses sold. I have had folks come back and ask me to see other foals by the stallion or siblings, or other foals from a particular mare, and it is just easier if they are on the site. I do not list them ALL, but keep a few there.

I try to keep my site fairly current, as it also annoys me when I view someone's site that was last updated in 2003!!!

I agree with Michelle on the "sold" horses that are on sale pages forever. I've seen sites where there are more "sold" horses than there are "for sale" and it's been that way for a year! Very frustrating. It's also frustrating when you go to see someones sale horses and they're totally different than what is listed on their page! I know keeping web pages up to date is a pain.......but it's also your business......so come on!!

How about aged stallions that are being advertised at stud with still only a weanling pic to advertise with?

I believe a lot of people do their web page in a way that is somewhat how they like to view others web page.

There is no way for all sites to be done to the satisfactory of EVERYONE else. So most do the best they can.

For me,,,,,,,,have a few folks that have a cow that my buttons are on the top left of my home page, but are on the bottom of other pages.

Well, get over it, I built it the way I like to view others.

I HATE to get to a bottom of a page and have to scroll all the way up to get to a button. Actually, I won't do it, I'll just hit the X.

So, my buttons are at the bottom.

I say to each their own, and if you don't like it,,,,,,,,,,,the X botton always appears!!!!!

I too agree that it bothers me when I go to a sales page and first of all see "foals just arrived for 2003!!!" that makes me think the site hasn't been updated for years, when in fact there are probably recent horses posted for sale below those "old foals"...

It also bothers me to go to a page and see "sold....sold....sold..." all the way down the page with maybe one available in the middle, on top, or on the bottom of the page...to me, if the horse is sold, either move it to a "Sold" page or please remove it completely! I understand if you want to show off a horse you bred and sold, but then please move them to a "sold" page...it might be heck to get one set up, but your site will look more well put together and less cluttered or confusing.

To me, when I go to a site like that I usually don't finish looking through the rest of the site unless i'm REALLY interested
default_yes.gif
:

Oh yeah, and I too also hate horses being advertised with WAY out of date photo's!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
GUILTY! :new_tomato: I have more sold horses on my sale page than for sale, but to remove all of them is a major 'redo' and I only do that once per year.
default_sad.png

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back