Safety of coated high tensile

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
I know the dangers of regular high tensile fencing slicing into them during an accident or getting legs stuck, but does anyone have knowledge about the safety of this? We are first time homebuyers trying to figure out how we're going to get everything set up on a budget (we do have a big horse and two minis so the fences really have to be suitable for both! It seems to be the most economical that I've seen, as opposed to field fencing which we've had accidents with and won't use. Any opinions? Thanks!

We installed a four wire high tensil fence last fall and are really pleased with it. We made one of the wires hot and the horses never mess with it.

The only person I know who's used that fencing, didn't like it.

I have electrobraid and I LOVE it.

http://www.electrobraid.com/

Big plus to electrobraid is how far you can space your posts. I've had mine for 10+ yrs without a problem and I have several big horse barns that use it and love it.

Many people will likely say "we're an accident waiting to happen" but we have never had a problem with high tinsel fencing - ever (cattle, sheep, big horses or minis). We use 5 strands at the heights/spacings specified for goat/sheep whereas the bottom three strands are closer to the ground & closer together than the top two. We have every other wire "hot" - starting with the top wire (hot) and the middle and bottom wire "hot". The spacing of the three bottom wires keeps babies in. They are tight enough and close enough together. I've only seen one incident of turning out a foal for the first time - and she simply "bounced" off of it - like a trampoline. Our horses have never gotten out of our fences either. We have stallions in adjoining pastures with only the 5 wires between them - never a problem - they will stand opposite eachother and run along the fenceline etc - but never even poke their heads through - as they know they are hot.

We use round wooden posts for our wire and we use the bright orange plastic spacers inbetween the posts. This not only keeps the wires from sagging but it is very VISIBLE to both humans and horses and it also keeps the wires taught in the event there is a lower piece of ground - then they can't go underneath becuase the spacers keep the strands together within the long spacings of the posts.

In my experience - once an animal tests the fence and gets zapped - just once - they don't go near it again. LOL And truly, the orange plastic spacers (or even black ones) gives the horses visibility to actually SEE the wires and know that something is there. It also helps if you have neighbors or someone hunting or 4wheeling to not run through your fences accidentally. LOL

We're actually in the middle of fencing in another 12 acres now and should be finished this weekend. Again using the same method of fencing.

I'll try to put a few pictures here so you can get the idea of what we do:

January2008horsesandfarm201.jpg

January2008horsesandfarm234.jpg

January2008horsesandfarm193.jpg

January2008horsesandfarm194.jpg

June252008006.jpg

this picture below also shows some BLACK plastic spacers - had gotten those before I found orange ones - but it still helps the horses "see" the wires.

June252008001.jpg

January2008horsesandfarm238.jpg

High tinsel is easy to put up also. we put the roll of wire on a spool and I drive the gator along the fence line pulling the wire - hubby walks behind and puts the wire into the clips and or staples - voila - an entire row done in no time!

Hope this helps - not the best pictures but should explain the process we use for high tinsel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known of too many horses that got injured in high tensile fencing to ever use it, coated or not. Horses don't always stay away from the fence, even when it's 'hot' and over the years I've heard of two horses that got tangled in it & were stuck, with the current still going. Also known of more than one broken leg, resulting from the horse running into the fence. It's just too unforgiving IMO.

In any case the wire is much too unwieldy for my to put up by myself, so it's a good thing I don't want to use it!

I love those pictures of all that land. Maybe it is good that I only have a little bit over and acre heheh.

We have 6ft cyclone surrounding the whole property and my mini and his goat friends have the run of the place. But, I do want to get some premade panels to put up. Im not sure of the cost havent really looked yet but only need 4 maybe 6 of them for my lil mans castle area.

The goats are really making him a bit aggressive over his food, not with me but he does bit or kick at them. I need a way to stop them from getting into his food besides locking him in his castle. They jump over the door and then he gets really mad at them.

I have my buck chained up because he is the worse and he will butt shotgun really hard. The doe and kid won't leave him alone so I need to figure out a way to keep them away from him.

Back