Safe-guard Equi-Bits dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyG

Reaction score
Has anybody used the Safe-guard Equi-Bits alfalfa pellets for deworming?

I am considering trying them for the 5-day double-dosage Safe-guard treatment.

I have a couple that swing their head like crazy when I use a tube to deworm. It's not unusual that I squirt... the head swings... and its a complete miss. So we do it all again, till we get it right.
default_wacko.png

I was getting ready to order tubes for their annual 5-day treatment, and saw the Equi-bits. One bag is treatment for a 1250 lb horse. But I am guessing the medication (active ingredients) would be evenly distributed in the pellets, so that I could just split-up the pellets into multiple doses. (And since Safe-guard is safe... err on the side of more pellets per dose... so I do not under-medicate.)

I am thinking that this would be equally effective for deworming and over the course of 5 days..... be so much more pleasant (for both of us.
default_biggrin.png
) What do you think??

Does anyone know anything about using the Equi-Bits dewormer for the 5-day treatment?

Or.... any feedback about these alfalfa pellets?, in general?

Thanks!

Becky

I received some free samples a couple years ago when I ordered Safe Guard paste. I tried the Equi-Bits in with my horses grain, and they are soo spoiled none of them would eat it!! They all dumped their feed, and I had to go thru and deworm them with paste anyway. It was a waste for me, but if your horses aren't too picky about new things in their feed, it might work for you! My only complaint would be it was a little harder to dose accurately.

Should be fine IF they will eat it. Years ago - back in the dark ages, before paste wormer came along
default_smile.png
- I dewormed with something that came in the form of tiny blue pellets. I had a mare who would wiggle her lip and sort those things out of her grain, when she finished there was not an oat left but there was always a pile of little blue pellets LOL. So maybe worth a try in your case, but I wouldn't invest in a case of it until you've tested it to be sure it gets eaten!

Jan

Thanks Kim & Jan,

Good to know!!!

I might get a couple of packages, and see if my guys even think its "eatable". LOL

I had a mare who would wiggle her lip and sort those things out of her grain, when she finished there was not an oat left but there was always a pile of little blue pellets LOL.
Jan, The vision of that did have me laughing out loud.

Back