Sad...I think the time has come to put our dog down

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

I have been struggling with this decision and seems every time I am confident it is the right one he has a great day and starts to play and frolic.

Bugsy is a older pit pull about 14-15 now. He is having a hard time dealing with the heat, he has lots of tumors that keep growing back, he is getting a bit senile.. will go outside and look around like hey how did I get out here. His hind end is sore and giving him trouble he will just sort of lose control and it gives out on him but after a min or two is better.

LIke I said I truly believe it is the right thing to do and we will take him next week but .. there is always that nagging doubt that guilt, am I giving up to early , could he have a couple of years left. And then of course to see him play for a few min really makes me doubt myself.

He has been the best dog I have ever owned, always gotten along with all our animals, shared a blanket with our dwarf horse Sadie, saved the life of our pup(a chi) after her mom had a c-section. Iknew nothing about pups and no one told me I had to clean her after every feeding to help her eliminate.. He knew this and did this for her - he can often be found walking down the hall with a chi on one ear and a cat attacking the other .

Not a mean bone in his body just so wonderful so I am guessing it is what i need to do for such a wonderful boy.. but it sure well to be frank it sure sucks! I will take him and stay with him and knowing it is the right thing doesnt mean I will forgive myself anytime soon. I can just hope that he will be able to know how much I love him and he can forgive me.

Lisa,

I know exactly how you feel, but let me assure you, he knows without a doubt how much you love him, and he trusts you to help him cross over. There is absolutely nothing he needs to forgive, as you are honoring his devotion by making this painful decision.

Take care,

susanne

AWWWWW IM SO SO SORRY YOU MUST BE HEARTBROKEN :no: {{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I ditto what Susanne posted. There is nothing for him to forgive. I say this over and over again, but it's true.

Look into his eyes and listen to your heart. He will tell you it's time. I have had members of my fur-family literally ASK me to help them cross over, and I've delayed their wishes out of pure selfishness on my part. When the light is gone from behind their eyes, they are speaking volumes.

By helping your old fellow cross over, and being there with him, you are giving him that final act of love. Somehow he will know that.

MA

[SIZE=14pt]Lisa. Look into his eyes and he will tell you..... Im sorry you have to make this decision . I know how much you love this dog.... it will also be hard on the girls but Im sure they dont want him to suffer either.[/SIZE]

Lyn
default_wub.png
:

Its very hard to make the decision, I know.

We own our fur children a happy life and we don't want to let them suffer.

Stay strong

Anita

Lisa - I don't know how to describe it, but I promise...you will know when it's time. Remember I struggled with this for almost 2 years with my horse Misty? Especially the last 6 months - every day I tried to determine whether or not I needed to let her go, if I was giving up too soon, if I was causing her to suffer by keeping her alive...or if I did let her go, what if it wasn't the right time? Was I being selfish by keeping her alive? Or was I giving up by letting go? I used to pray and ask her out loud to please let go, so I wouldn't have to make the decision for her.

July 29, 2005 ... Misty made it very clear to me that it was time for her to go. It's in the eyes.

Look into his eyes, Lisa - you'll know when it's time.

Liz R.

I'm sorry you have to make such a hard decision, Lisa, but I know you will do the right thing for your wonderful dog.

Lisa, it is so hard to do, but you are doing what is right for him if he has the look in his eyes. Oldest daughter has a chi that is 14-15, lots of problems, but still has that look in his eyes that he is doing fine and life isn't too difficult for him yet. Youngest one has a golden that has been her service dog. Terrible allergies, bad joints, arthritic, you name it. He still tries to help her though he has been retired for some time. She just can't bring herself to put him down. The thought is so terrible to her, she won't even consider it. He has been such a loyal and loving dog to her, and her son calls him his brother. He is ready for her to make the decision. You can see it in his eyes. Please, if it is the right time, don't feel you are doing the wrong thing, you are just making him more comfortable. He sounds as if he has been a very good friend to you for a long time, and he knows whatever you decide is right for him.

[SIZE=24pt]I know exactly how you feel. I'm going through it myself right now. Our older dog Tippy is 12-14. We got him from a shelter and they weren't exactly how old he was. He's haveing trouble seeing and getting abit nippy with the kids when they make sudden moves. Yesturday He followed me up into the hay loft and them when it was time to come back down he cowered and he couldn't see anything in the dark. I had to carry him down the stairs. It's a very hard desicion, he's my buddy. He only listens to me, follows mw every where, he's been great with the horse. He'll coem up behind them ( not like he's stalking them) and I'll tell him no sit and stay and he does. He'll wait until I tell him to come before he'll move. You'll know when it's time and he'll be greatful for it. remember he'll always love you and you'll never forget him.[/SIZE]

Christy

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa, I know what a terribly hard decision this is to make. I had to put my best friend down a year or so ago. I kept telling myself "just a little longer" "he isn't ready yet". I took a couple pictures of him right before our last visit to the vet and when I was able to look at them I could see pretty clearly that it was "time".

The fact that it's the "right" thing to do doesn't make it any easier. But it sounds like it's time to let your old fella go to that wonderful place where there is no pain. He can wait on the other side of the bridge with my Teddy Bear.

I am waiting for the time to come, right now, with Kitty who is only ten but, well, Dobes often do not make old bones.

One thing though, I have never been able to do, is actually take a dog "in".

As with the horses, I have always had the Vet come to me- I don't know if that would make it any easier??

I know exactly how you feel, my lab is now 11 and has had numerous health problems in the past and it has worn on him. He is arthritic and getting cataracs and has come up lame in one leg. Everyday I wonder when it's going to be time. He still has that "sparkle" (even through his cataracs) in his eyes, so I know it's not yet. He will have good and bad days just like yours. When he sees the water, he acts like a puppy and just loves it, he will play so hard in the water that later that night he has trouble getting up. I thought of limiting his activity, but after talking to the vet, we decided it is best to let him do what makes him happy. As someone else said, you will know when it's time.

I have already made arrangements with my vet that when it is time, he will come to my house, day or night and Brutus will pass peacefully in his own bed in my arms with his favorite toy beside him.

You will know when it's time. ((hugs))

Latest posts

Back