Sad day, our Mini Aussie has passed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
This afternoon when I went to give fresh water to our Sheltie/Mini Aussie cross, Moonie, I noticed he was not responding and he did not move when I called him. I guess I knew before I even called him, but it had not really registered that he was not leaping around and yipping as usual.

The last year has been a little tough as he had to be kenneled a lot because he bit our three year old, Brandon, on the face. We wrestled with whether to rehome him or have him euthanized, as he had shown aggression towards a small child previously and has killed a few kittens in his time, but we opted to be very responsible with his freedom given his age, and we felt bad that he could not be as free as he was in his younger years.

My son, Kenny, 6 at the time, picked him out of a litter of five, or rather Moonie picked him. He jumped into his lap, he was the biggest and strongest of the litter and Ken named him "Blue Moon" in honor of his blue eye. Moonie had a lot of adventures in his life, and cheated death a few times. He was run over by our neighbor while he was fixing our fence, and nearly died in that incident, then another time he ran away and ate a bunch of salmon during spawning time at the river, and was very ill with Salmonella. He used to goad 1000-lb. bull Elk into fighting and then run away. Another time he led me the right way home when I was lost in our woods while looking for our runaway minis.

RIP, Moonie, 8-95 to 8-06, and thank you for your time with us and we are sorry we could not do better by you.

mousenmoonie.jpg

Chasing/playing with Mouse in 2003...

mousemoon05.jpg

And in 2005...

Just last Winter visiting with susanne when she came down in Feb.:

susannenmoonie.jpg

Don't have any pics that show his face (he had one blue eye and one brown eye) on this computer or scanned. We will miss him, but are ever glad that he went without struggle or, apparently, pain.

Thanks for sharing in our loss by reading about our doggie.

Liz M.

I'm so sorry, Liz. But he left the way he wanted........in his own time. And he was loved and he knew that.

MA

aww liz thats sooo sad, he had a great home with you, most people wouldnt have given him a second chance after the bite, but hes repayed your kindness with you memories of him,...im truly sorry for you loss :no:

Liz,

I am so sorry for your loss...He must've felt very loved and secure to pass the way he did and you didnt have to make that hard decision for him. Either way, losing a beloved part of your family is never easy. :no:

[SIZE=14pt]Liz, so sorry for the loss of your Mooney but you know, his agression probably came from some leision in his brain........at least thats the picture I have. He loved your boys but something made him snap sometimes. HE was a beautiful little dog and I know you will miss him.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh Liz, I'm so sorry -- Moonie was a great dog, and a very independent soul. I'll never forget his enthusiastic greeting when I came to visit, nor his antics when we walked to the waterfall.

I still have difficulty talking about Hillary without getting shaky, so I know well how hard it is to lose a family member.

Moonie will always be with you in spirit, bouncing and playing...I bet if you watch Mouse you'll know when Moonie is there.

Aww Nootka, I am so sorry! Sounding by the love in your post, anyone can see that you DID do right by him. He was a special dog and is so very loved. hugs hon

I'm SO sorry Liz!
default_crybaby.gif
:

When you said he got a bit aggressive, it made me think it was age related. I believe that it was his time to go and that he KNEW he was loved. You did very well by him! If you had rehomed him, he would not have understood. You gave him love until the end. He was a lucky boy.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

[SIZE=14pt] Awww now Liz, he had a great life, and if you had given him away, he would have always wondered what happened. So it was a nice ending to his life. He was home comfy and not scared. What more could any of us want. Sad that you guys will miss him though, that is the worst part about loving animals. [/SIZE]

Oh Liz, I am so very sorry... :no: As I've mentioned several times, I also have an aggressive dog and I understand the challenges. He will always be in your heart, and you have some wonderful photos of him to remember him by.

Best,

Liz R

I am so sorry for your loss.

It is so hard to lose them that way.

We lost an 11 year old Am.Can.Champion Saluki on June 8, when I let the dogs out he was fine, when I went to let them in 45 minutes later he was laying in the tall grass and he was gone. People tell me that this was the best way for him to go, and that it was nice that he never had to be old and sick, and that is must be easier for me since I didn't have to make any "decisions", but in 30 years of dogs I've never lost one that way before and it was a terrible shock. Now every time I let the dogs in , or the horses, if I don't see somebody right away I just freak out.

Bless you for giving Moonie a great home!

Hugs,

Shelley

I'm sorry, Liz.. Moonie was a fun, hyper little guy. I know he will be missed.

Kari

I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet him- I've been curious about the Mini Aussies I keep seeing advertised!

It's always a sad day when we loose one of our furry friends- you guys did wonderfully by him though, considering. He may not have found as good a home, even with the restrictions you ahd to enforce!

Sorry for your loss Liz.....thinking of you.

Latest posts

Back