Sad day here at Bluewater

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluewater Minis

Reaction score
I was planning to post photos and announce the birth of our latest addition, a chestnut pinto colt by AMHR National Champion NFC Peppys Playmate, but the day did not turn out like we thought. "Manny" was a lovely dark chestnut pinto colt with a funky 1/2 blaze on the lower portion of his face and pawprints on his right side. His birth was quick and uncomplicated, and he arrived at 12:59am on 8/5/08. He had some initial difficulty nursing because his dam was rather excited about having him near her since he is her first foal to nurse. We did notice that he seemed more mellow than our other foals and tired easily. The vet advised us by phone to keep an eye on him for dehydration, etc. and to supplement his feedings with a bottle. We had him on colostrum for the first 24 hours, then a mix of his dam's milk and a milk replacer. We got up with him throughout last night for feedings and he grew progressively stronger. As of 8:30 this morning, he was doing FANTASTIC and gobbled down 4+ oz from his bottle in one feeding. But by 12:30 today, it was like he was a different foal! (Yes, he had care in the meantime). I frantically called the vet, and sadly he wasn't able to see "Manny" in time. Manny passed away at 3:35 this afternoon. The vet now thinks he may have been a dummy foal. I wish I had demanded that they see him yesterday morning (instead of settling for a phone consultation) as maybe with intervention he could have been saved. We were going to load his dam and him to make a 1.5 hour drive to take him to an equine hospital for ICU care, and he just sighed and was gone. Rest in peace, my little one.

Photos here at 9 hours old, and they don't show his lovely pawprints on his off side.

DSC_0630-256x205.jpg
Manny_at_12_hrs_old-250x195.jpg

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

I am so sad for you.......
default_sad.png
The little guy could have had one of several possible problems. There's no way for you to know.

Im so sorrry for your loss. Just heart breaking. Please do not beat yourself up. Sometimes no matter what we try we lose them.

Kay

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your foal. I agree with the others--sometimes it is just out of our hands.

So Sorry. What a cutie. Dont beat yourself up. It is sad but you must not be hard on yourself. Rest in piece little one!!

Hi

I am sorry for your loss! He was such a pretty baby.

Beth

He was a doll. I'm SO sorry you lost your baby after all you did to help him.

{{{{hugs}}}}
default_sad.png

So sorry for the loss of your little one. He was adorable. Hind sight is always 20/20, don't think about the what if's or should have's. His life was short but had a purpose, if you have another or someone you know has a foal with these problems, you will be more prepared to handle it.

I too just lost a mare.

Kelly

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope your mare is doing ok... Take care,Alicia

Back