Sad day for us

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedeh

Reaction score
Our wonderful Golden Retriever Duke died this morning.
default_no.gif
He was 12 1/2 and was just the kindest dog you've ever met. I bought him for my husband as his wedding gift. My husband had had a golden retriever as a child but they had to give him away and he always wanted another one. Duke was definately Doug's dog...they had a special bond....though all the dogs follow me around the house wherever I go, they're there! I guess I'm just "MOM". Duke was always "mom" to any new puppies or kittens that came into our home! We had 3 kittens that we had taken from a feral cat and were bottle feeding. Duke would always clean them up and they'd crawl all over him. One of the kittens became "Duke's cat". Ricky loved Duke and would rub on him and just lay by him whenever he could. They were almost the same color so it was cute to watch. I had noticed that Duke was getting a little thinner the past month or so and didn't want to get up and around as much...but he's 12 and I put it down to "old age". Then the weekend before last he just started panting and when I petted him I felt some enlarged lymph nodes under his chin. We took him to the vet...I was hoping it was an infection causing the swollen lymph but I feared the worse. The worst was confirmed, he had an aggressive malignant lymphoma. We opted not to go for chemo....I just couldn't see putting him through that at his age, and went for "comfort measures". I still was shocked at how fast he went downhill. Yesterday he stopped eating and his eyes were dull. We were talking about putting him down. Last night he had a rough night and I was up with him most of the night. He became unresponsive this morning and then just stopped breathing. Both my husband and I were with him at the end, telling him how much we loved him and that it was okay for him to go. We will miss him so much.

100_2268.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_2160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss.

Robin

Oh.....Bless his heart....What a wonderful old gentleman. Bless you both.

I understand your loss......Goldens are the best and both Larry and I have had that special bond with our own. Praying that your Duke pays your husband a Spirit Visit or a Dream Visit to give some comfort.

What a beautiful boy, and a dear friend he was. HUGS to you and your husband. Things will feel and seem so different without Duke there in your home now for awhile. You are so fortunate that he passed over at home, and with you and your husband at his side. He knew and felt your love. My heart aches for both of you.

Oh I am so sorry. Goldens are just wonderful dogs. We had them from when I was about age 7 til I left home and I have had a couple as an adult. They are truly just great dogs who love everybody and everything. I do want another someday too. I have one now that was a rescue- half Golden and half Border Collie. He is quite a character and a good dog and I see a lot of the Golden traits in him.

Hugs to you regarding the loss of your beloved family member- that is so tough. Maybe you can find another similar one to help fill the empty gap.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful inside and out.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful inside and out.
I am so sorry for your loss.I know what you are going through.I have to go to the vet on Friday with my 11 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi,Yoshi, to help her cross The Rainbow Bridge.She has mouth cancer and it is not operable.It is time to do it.I am sure your guy knew how much he was loved.I heard on Tv this past week "Grief is the price we pay for love."Again I am so sorry for your loss.

What a beautiful dog! I'm sorry to read that the time came for him to leave you.

Sending you both sympathy and hugs - losing a special friend after so many happy years is never easy.

Anna

So sorry!!! ((((HUGS)))) Sandy and to your husband too!

Barbie

What a beautiful dog with a beautiful soul he was!
default_wub.png

I'm sitting here crying. I'm SO sorry!

But I'm glad he went fast and that you were both at his side when he eased across the bridge. He'll be there taking care of all the lil kitties and doggies that cross. And waiting for you.

HUGS to you & Doug

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend...
default_no.gif
Sounds like he had a wonderful life with you...

Liz R.

He sounds like he was an amazing dog! I am so very sorry for your loss

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. It's been an emotionally draining day and I keep expecting to turn and see him lying on the couch. I've heard so many people say they won't have anymore pets because they couldn't take it when they died. Even though I'm heartsick and grieving now I can't imagine having the last 12 years without that wonderful dog in my life. They give us so much unconditional love, the least we can do is grieve for them.

I am so sorry for your loss.I know what you are going through.I have to go to the vet on Friday with my 11 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi,Yoshi, to help her cross The Rainbow Bridge.She has mouth cancer and it is not operable.It is time to do it.I am sure your guy knew how much he was loved.I heard on Tv this past week "Grief is the price we pay for love."Again I am so sorry for your loss.
My heart goes out to you. This is the first time I haven't had to "make the decision". Duke took it out of our hands and I was so thankful he did. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

i am so very sorry for the loss of this gentle soul.

Old Dogs Never Die

We have a secret, you and I,

That no one else shall know,

For who, but I can see you lie,

Each night, in fire's glow?

And who but I can reach my hand

Before we go to bed,

And feel the living warmth of you

And touch your silken head?

And only I walk woodland paths

And see, ahead of me,

Your small form racing with the wind,

So young again and free.

And only I can see you swim,

In every brook I pass,

And, when I call, no one but I

Can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown

RIP duke.
default_wub.png

Hugs to you...can't help but cry. THEY are so special. It is natural to grieve. I understand. He was family, friend, nursemaid, and trooper. And although tempted to tell how much it hurt when our special one passed on I will not. Been there, and honestly had to hold it in when others wanted to tell me their story. Otherwise I would have imploded. It is your time to grieve. Just know he is not suffering and loved your family with all his big ole heart. And he wants the smile back on your face even if it takes recalling the silliest thing he ever did, the most heroic thing...the precious memories. Just a thought...it is the first day of fall and we have a beautiful full moon. Maybe something might come to mind to memorialize him in a way that can be repeated in the coming years at the beginning of fall. Rest in peace precious guy.

Oh that is just terribly sad. What a nice life and family your boy had. He looks so much like my childhood golden retriever. So sorry.

I so very sorry. We lost out big family dog about 5 months ago. It does get easier. But the looking for them takes a while to go away. Just means they were very important to us. Glad he choose when to go. You gave him love and dignity. Again I am so terribly sorry.

What a beautiful poem Charlene,brought tears to my eyes. To all whose heart is raw and hurting,I am sorry for your loss. I still miss my little Muffin after 8 years. Can feel her jump up on my bed now and again and know she is checking in.To all who have lost their special friend I am sorry.

It is so nice to read or hear their special stories.There is just something special about how our dogs give back to us.

Hugs

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back