Sad day for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanH

Reaction score
I made the decision that it would be in the best interest of my two horses to rehome them. I hadn't done anything but feed and maintenance them for more than 3 years. On Wednesday, I put them in the local paper. My first call on them came on Thursday, and they came to see them yesterday. My criteria was that the horses go together, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the people who came. By Saturday afternoon, they called back to say they would take them and the horse trailer. They picked them up this morning at 11 am. We loaded up the trailer with the hay and grain I had remaining. When it came to loading the horses, Stormy walked right in like the good horse she always is, but Hershey decided to test me to see if I really meant he had to go away. After a couple of tries I finally told him enough is enough and "GET IN THE DANG TRAILER!" with a slap on the rear, he jumped right in. The people have a two stall barn and 10 acres for them. I couldn't help but cry as they drove out the gate. I have had Stormy since she was 2 and Hershey since he was 1 1/2.

So, for the first time in 40 years, I am horseless, either full sized, pony or miniature.

Jean

That must be super hard, Jean. I'm glad you were able find such a fantastic place for them though.

Oh Jean, that must be SO HARD.........I can't imagine you without a horse, frankly.

Heck, I've not had horses all my life like YOU have, and I can't imagine my life without at least one.....or two.... or.....

I'm wondering how long you'll be able to go without.........

MA

Ohhh this made me sad to read. Sounds like for whatever reason you had to move them on, you're heart went along with them. I hope one day you will be able to have horses in your life? I'm glad they went to a wonderful home...together.
default_yes.gif
:

aww, sorry you had to make this decision but glad you could find the perfect home for them. are they close enough for you to be able to pay them an occasional visit?

I'm glad you were able to find the perfect home for them...I made the same decision about a year ago...all 4 minis, 2 goats, and 10 chickens...I was in the same boat as you I just wasn't spending any time with them other than maintenance...not sure they cared so much but it did bother me, so I let them all go. Someday I will have horses again when it fits my personal schedule/life better and I'm sure you will too. ((hugs))

The people live just south of town so they are close. They just called to let me know that both are settling in. They've checked out their new barn and must find it all to their satisfaction as they are peacefully out grazing in the paddock. They are going to keep them in the paddock for now and will let them out to the big field to roam once they are fully settled in.

MA, I can't imagine what it will be like to be horseless, but I'm thinking that I might get a mini driving horse down the road which would be much easier for me to handle physically. Lots of wide open spaces to drive with less risk of injury. This body just can't deal with the big guys anymore, and I do miss the ponies and minis. Especially after watching the World show on the webcast.

Jean

Oh, Jean---I can so understand your feelings, and the whys and wherefores of your decision--and my heart is with you today!

Margo

Oh Jean I SO identify with you! We spent the day today in the U.P. Michigan on the shoreline walking, talking taking pictures and trying to decide what to do!

Face it we're old! both closer to 70 that 60 and tired and even though we love our Shammy and SHadow to death, we feel they are bored and sad..they don't seem carefree and happy to me although Shammy loves being driven and I love driving her..

I have a lot of health problems and so does the hunny and the time is coming SOON (probably late next summer 08) that we will be rehoming ours..

SHammy will be offered back to who I bought her from, and SHadow should get a new home easily.

It's agonizing and we haven't set it in stone yet but yes, dear we certainly understand how you feel.!

We are feeling guilty even talking about it!

At least yours went close enough to see them/ Right?

Oh well we horse people have a nack for knowing when it's time..

Maxine

Jean I know you did not make this decision on a whim. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for your sake as well as the horses. I'm so glad that you found the perfect home for them which does make things much easier to handle emotionally. I can't imagine myself being horse-less either but never say never because we all know there will come a day for us all because nobody's getting younger here either and it does suck.

I'm so proud that you were brave enough to make such a wise decision. There are so many horses out there that really need to be re-homed but people just don't have the sense to do it.

Big hugs to you. The horses will love their new lease on life.

Jean, I had to make that decision many years ago it was a financial one, I was without horses for over 5 years, I have 3 minis now, but I feel for you it is a heartbreaking decision. But you found them a good home and thats great. I had one QH from birth she was 17 when I had to let her go. My thoughts are with you, Kathy

So, for the first time in 40 years, I am horseless, either full sized, pony or miniature.

Jean
Oh, how I know that feeling!!! :no: It took me 15 mo. to get another horse and that time inbetween was awful! I know you won't be horseless long...
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back