RUNNY EYES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
DO HORSES HAVE ALLERGIES? MARE HAS HAD GREEN GOO IN HER EYES FOR THE PAST TWO MORNINGS. WE BUSHHOGGED THE PASTURE JUST RECENTLY. COULD IT BE FROM THIS? NO OTHER PROBLEMS WE HAVE NOTICED.WOULD YOU CALL VET OR TRY PENICILLIN FIRST? AND IF SO, HOW LONG TO GIVE THE MEDS?

If it is strictly her eyes and there is not any nasil discharge, temp, or harsh breathing sounds, I would clean her eyes with some sterile eye wash and apply terramyacin or gentamyacin, terramyacin ointment can be purchased at your local farm store or Tractor Supply (sometimes they keep it behind the service desk so it doesn't walk away). You should start to notice results in 24 -36 hours, if you see no results, I would call the vet.

Carolyn

I used sterile water a couple of times a day. With Willow's eye problem, I found it was weather related. it cleared up after a couple of weeks.

My guy's eye has been tearing/dripping and a bit red lately with a little goop and I feel it's from the flies (and maybe allergies). I use an eye solution called Clear Eyes and it's a sterile rinse. That helps alot. I've been having to use it once about every couple of days, but it helps. Flies are terrible down here and he won't wear a fly mask for nothing!

Good luck!

My chestnut mare has seasonal allergies with watery and gunky eyes and she even coughs now and then if she runs. It only flares up with a high pollen count. My daughter also has allergies and her and Ginger will usually be suffering symptoms at the same time. My Vet put her on Trihist granuals and it helps. Like taking allergy meds for humans. You may want to call your Vet and ask.

Bren

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes all that's needed is wiping their eyes with unscented baby wipes...... It could be something as simple as flies bothering her.

We've had on again off again goopy eyes the past month with the wind and it being so dry. Some of my mares are more susceptible to anything in the air. I know when I have allergies (red/burning/rubbing eye issues) my one mare will have yucky eyes too.

Check the area surrounding the eye for scratches or swelling or any signs of abrasions, injury to the eye can cause tearing. Pull the eye-lids away from the face to check for small peices of hay or something that could have be in the eye and causing irritation. If you do find something I would have a vet check the eye for a scratch on the cornea.

I have a few here that sometimes get runny or goopy eyes. I will rinse with saline solution, then I put in an antibiotic eye cream (from vet, or terramycin) **Be sure it does NOT contain steriods, this can cause more damage if the eye has a scratch).** Then I braid the forelock and put a flymask on them during the day. This will help keep the flies away that can cause the irritation or more irritation.

As others have said here there are many things that can cause watery/goopy eyes, some have it from allergies in the summer time but you should definitely rule out something in the eye or an injury before treating for allergies. Fly masks help a lot for horses with allergies or reactions to flies or dust.

Latest posts

Back