Ruby's foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good girl! Getting that baby lined up and ready. We should be hearing your announcement soon!

Keep us posted!

Any updates yet?
default_please.gif

Please help me in welcoming Aupollo's Midnight Marquee, aka Kiwi, into the world. He arrived late last night, safe and sound. Mother had an ultra fast labor and delivery. Actually foaled standing up. This was her third baby and she had never opted for the position before. Needless to say I caught him-lol. Tiny red boy, snip and socks. Sire's sire was a sorrel pinto, so the red won out. Calculator said anything red was only a 3.33% chance. Ha!

10007398_10203761373580729_45225991395409135_n.jpg

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my look at that cute little face!! What a poppet! Many congratulations!
default_thumbup.gif

Congratulations! Was it a red bag delivery? I see that mom has already dropped the placenta and the foal still has the cord attached.

Not a red bag, presented normally. She foaled standing up and the whole process was very fast. The placenta fell out quite quickly after he did. We left it alone until the cord broke on it's own. Vet checked placenta, all was in order.

That's a little one for sure. With a 4" canon, he's going to stay nice and small for sure!

Congratulations again!!

Congratulations!!!!! What a beautiful little colt, so sweet!! Looks like you have a handsome catch there!! LOL I love the picture of you holding him!!!!
default_yes.gif

I dont do facebook so would love to see more pictures here of your cute little fella.
default_yes.gif

Incidently, in case you haven't done it already, please take the headcollar off your mare, leaving it on is a possible accident waiting to happen with a young foal.

Hello everyone. Just an update as things got pretty scary here for awhile. Ruby developed a serious case of impaction colic. We were concerned as she had not pooped after she foaled Kiwi by the next afternoon when the vet visited. I know it is not uncommon for a mare to not go by then, but please, please, please, keep a very close eye on them and be sure to have you vet do a healthy mare/foal check 12 hours after they foal. My vet tubed her after he didn't hear any gut sounds in the upper quadrants. She managed to pass a small pile when he finished. But by 2:30am the next morning, she was in a lot of discomfort and he was called out again. She was clearly impacted at that point, straining, miserable. He tubed her again with a laxative and gave her iv fluids. She was never comfortable from that point on and only past a few very small dry piles. He came out that night and tubed her again. This time stating of not serious poop by morning she would have to be taken the NC State for aggressive treatment. So by late Thursday morning, we were off. I was incredibly worried to haul a newborn, but used my two horse as a stock trailer, bedded down deeply and left untied. They managed fine. When we arrived they did a triage on her including ultrasound, xrays, belly tap, blood gasses, blood draw, and put in a tube and iv line. She was a very sick girl. They decided to medically manage as they couldn't see any signs of displacement (Thank God), but they did see a massive blockage. They left the nose/stomach tube in and pumped it every two hours. It was obvious that she was quite painful, but began passing a few more piles of dry manure. Friday they did an enema and removed the tube as they saw that her stomach was full of fluid and considered it would be enough to do the job. Friday was her most uncomfortable day by far as her body shook and she shifted her weight. Her throat is extremely sore from the tubes. All along taking care of her foal. It is just amazing to see how good of a mother she has been through all of this. The visit today was by far better. They've begun to offer her sr feed mashes. And while she has maintained an appetite through all of this, they must be extremely careful and only give her tiny amounts to see how she tolerates it. They've also had to muzzle her because she is so hungry she was trying to eat shavings. Baby Kiwi is a mess-in a crazy baby boy way. He runs that place and has suffered no stress being there-thank goodness. Please say a little prayer for Ruby that she continues to improve and they can come home and enjoy real life happy and healthy. Also baby kiwi weighed in at 22lbs and measures 17.5" tall.

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

vetschool.jpg

Latest posts

Back