Rowdy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Hi. I have been researching our new horse's pedigree and have had absolutely no luck finding anything on the stallion, Rowdy. I got some good information on the horse on the phone, but I'd love to see pictures or a detailed pedigree or anything. Does anyone know of a site that would have additional information on the stallion?

Mimi

Check with Laurie Slobody (or her daughter Kristina) - they have one of the largest herds of Rowdy blood in the country and a lot of history on the bloodline. Also Jane Macon of Alamo has a lot of Rowdy blood. I think (but then I might be wrong) that Rowdy goes back to Audrey Barret's breeding - she was the breeder of Arenosa ponies/horses.

Stacy

Wow Stacy really?I have never heard that before that is some great info

Hello

Welcome to ROWDY! Tony Greaves, Lil America Miniature Horses has a lot of information on Rowdy as well, a nice write up on some history about him. HE is my favorite too.

I have a Rowdy son who is now 28 years old and many of his daughters, and a son in my breeding program. I do not think there are too many Rowdy sons left.

Most of the minis in our small herd carry Rowdy blood, and we just love it!! (Yes, Max gets it from BOTH his sire and dam). Some of ours came from Sawmill River Farm (Slobody's) and also Alamos and other farms. Some of the Rowdy sons that our minis trace back to are Lazy N Redboy, Ramblin Starbuck, and Lazy N Boogerman, but there are others. Our stallion SRF Buckshot and his half brother SRF Nobility are Ramblin Starbuck grandsons. We mix it with Blue Boy and Buckeroo.

Note that while Rowdy himself was registered as a solid bay, he carried the frame overo (Lethal white - LWO+) gene which he has passed down to many pinto AND solid color minis.

Wow, this is great info!! Thanks!! I will follow up with the people you suggested, if I can find them online. You guys ROCK!

My little American stud Dragon (Darmond Boogerman's Bravado) that we purchased a couple of years ago from Robin - Truejoy Minis - in NJ, is a Rowdy g/son, via Lazy N's Boogerman, and guess what he produced for us this year amongst his foals - a beautiful bright BAY colt with a narrow white blaze - a Rowdy lookalike!!

This colt is simply gorgeous (if I do say it myself LOL!!) but is totally unphotogenic - why does that happen with those you would really love to show off!!

Don't worry, I shall be getting this fella (and Dragon's other foals) tested for the LWO gene as Dragon is LWO+ himself.

Anna

Lisa

My info on Rowdy came from Audrey Barrett herself - she was getting up there in years when we had a few of our conversations, but she seemed sharp as a tack - spent many hours on the phone with her and was privileged to learn a great deal. It was her claim that Rowdy originally came from her breeding but was sold to Vern Brewer as a young horse - Vern apparently had a lot of Audrey's smaller ponies, but remember that way back then the word "pony" wasn't popular so the true heritage of many of our horses was tossed in the trash. She also exported many ponies to Senior Fallabella and many other prominent breeders way back when.

Yep, she was a lot of fun to listen to!

Stac

Lisa

My info on Rowdy came from Audrey Barrett herself - she was getting up there in years when we had a few of our conversations, but she seemed sharp as a tack - spent many hours on the phone with her and was privileged to learn a great deal. It was her claim that Rowdy originally came from her breeding but was sold to Vern Brewer as a young horse - Vern apparently had a lot of Audrey's smaller ponies, but remember that way back then the word "pony" wasn't popular so the true heritage of many of our horses was tossed in the trash. She also exported many ponies to Senior Fallabella and many other prominent breeders way back when.

Yep, she was a lot of fun to listen to!

Stac

Stac,

What you just posted is very valuable historical information. Many of us who have followed both Vern Brewer and the Arenosa bloodline knew a bit, but you've added even more......THANK YOU.

This should be put in the "archives".

When you say that Audrey Barrett exported minis from her bloodlines to the Falabella stud, does this mean that the LWO gene could now be running through the Falabella horses at the stud in Argentina?

Just a little concerned that maybe I should test my stallion who was bred there?

Anna

Mominis said:
Wow, this is great info!! Thanks!! I will follow up with the people you suggested, if I can find them online. You guys ROCK!
I sent you a link to Kristina on FB.
default_smile.png

Leia

When you say that Audrey Barrett exported minis from her bloodlines to the Falabella stud, does this mean that the LWO gene could now be running through the Falabella horses at the stud in Argentina?

Just a little concerned that maybe I should test my stallion who was bred there?Anna
Hadn't the Falabella had pintos in their genetics...always? Or were they "just" solids and appies?

I figure for the cost, any stallion with any white on him anywhere...should be tested. It is the cheapest insurance you can get to assure you will never have to watch a LWO+ foal suffer and die.

I love Rowdy, it is my favorite line. I have a daughter, a grandson from Redboy(he is the horse in my avatar) as well as two Redboy daughters. Great line for the refined minis people look for today. Probably one of the best producers out there and also so was his son Redboy(can you tell I love him too lol), a lot of well known horses come from those lines. I have a blue boy stud who I plan on keeping fillies from to mix with the Rowdy lines .....love the results I've seen from other farms
default_wub.png

Also if you search for Rowdy miniature horse on google I'm sure you will find a lot more information

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an amazing line. Gallery Originals has a Rowdy son, and such presence he has. Over 20 years old and he has such refinement. Beautiful horse. NFC's Rowdy's Champion.

I am kinda sad. I bred my perlino mare to him and she is due just about any time. The trouble is,,,, I sold her. So she will have the most wonderful buckskin or palomino filly I am sure! The new owners will be so excited!

Sue C - thank you for your response. I asked the question quite genuinely as in all the years that I have had my Falabella stallion and been in contact with other Falabella owners and the relevant societies, I have never heard anyone mention the possibility of Falabellas from the Argentina stud carrying the LWO gene. I also have many minis here who are registered with the British Shetland Pony Stud Book Society and who are coloured and have many coloureds in their long pedigrees, but no-one has ever suggested that the Lethal Gene might be present.

Which is why I was shocked and concerned when I read Stac's post to say that Rowdy 'relatives' might have been amongst those American minis exported to the Falabella Stud.

Obviously I will be testing all offspring born here sired by Dragon, but will now be adding Falabella Anselmo to my testing 'list'. Plus I think I had better be 'spreading the word' amongst other Falabella breeders here in the UK and Europe.

Anna

Sue C - thank you for your response. I asked the question quite genuinely as in all the years that I have had my Falabella stallion and been in contact with other Falabella owners and the relevant societies, I have never heard anyone mention the possibility of Falabellas from the Argentina stud carrying the LWO gene. I also have many minis here who are registered with the British Shetland Pony Stud Book Society and who are coloured and have many coloureds in their long pedigrees, but no-one has ever suggested that the Lethal Gene might be present.

Which is why I was shocked and concerned when I read Stac's post to say that Rowdy 'relatives' might have been amongst those American minis exported to the Falabella Stud.

Obviously I will be testing all offspring born here sired by Dragon, but will now be adding Falabella Anselmo to my testing 'list'. Plus I think I had better be 'spreading the word' amongst other Falabella breeders here in the UK and Europe.Anna

And I seriously never thought it was just a North American thing?? I figured the pinto gene is everywhere. Then too, blue eyes, very common in that pattern, have always been frowned upon in Europe, much moreso than here, so perhaps they simply bred it out?

Latest posts

Back