round bales

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Appy, can you buy the hay nets in Ontario?

Also my solution for the hay hut is to put the round bales

on 2 pallets to get it higher up off the ground so the minis

have more access to it. It works well for me but mine are B

size so maybe easier for them to reach--the openings in my

huts are fairly low too.

That's where I got mine! Google Bale buddy slow feed nets, they will come up. I love mine. I have like 1-2% waste now at most.

I only have 1 B size, the other 3 are A. We were thinking about cutting the window openings a little more for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
happy appy can you take a photo of what you do with the ply wood I am trying to picture it but cant. i fed the round when I was expecting as I could'nt lift the bales and it seemed to do well that is the problem I am finding around here the farms want to do only the round so will have to go with the flow.
I don't have any rounds out for the minis this time of year sorry.

feeder-1.jpg

This is my feeder. I cut the 3 legs off and it sits on the ground. On the top of the upside down V is where I attach the plywood. We cut 2 half circles and screw them together and then tie them to the tops of the feeder through holes that we have drilled. works great.

I've been feeding 6 of mine round bales since December. It is so much easier but there is waste. When I know bad weather is coming (horses are inside) I cover it with a tarp. I use square bales for 2 of my other horses that are kept seperate and for night feeding. One round bales gets me about 2 weeks for 6 horses and that's depending on the weather, a little longer if it's been raining.

Wow, wantminimore, what size of round bale do you feed? I feed 7 horses off a round bale for nearly a month and a half. Of course that is being hand fed with hay nets not free choice so no waste. My bales are about 1500 lbs. some a bit bigger others a bit smaller.

I have about 700 lb rounds and very little waste and I only get about 1 month out of them with 5 eating. My hay is from my own fields that I pay a farmer to cut and bale for me. My cost/bale is very low so I use as many rounds as I need for the minis. I saved enough the first year by feeding rounds to pay for the feeder, hay net and plywood and still have money in the hay savings account. Now that I budget so much less for hay I can do so much more with them. The money is still there, I'm just redirecting it! Hubby doesnt' need to know right! ;)

Wow, wantminimore, what size of round bale do you feed? I feed 7 horses off a round bale for nearly a month and a half. Of course that is being hand fed with hay nets not free choice so no waste. My bales are about 1500 lbs. some a bit bigger others a bit smaller.
Mine is fed free choice so there is waste there, I haveno idea on the weight of the bale. As for the size, I can put 1 bale in the back of my truck with a 6' bed, 2 bales in an 8' bed. Wish my hay lasted them longer:(

Your bales are definately smaller than ours. There is no way you would get more than one of our bales into a pick up even with a full 8' box. In winter our 1500 lb bales last about 1.5 months, in summer when they are on grass for the morning it is close to 3 months perhaps more. Your bales sound like small 500 - 750lb ers. As happy appy says, the savings with netting quickly add up but of course you have to find the $ in the first place and thats sometimes a challenge.

happy appy, I agree LOL, if he doesn't ask no need to tell ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed round bales; luckily we can get some good quality hay in rounds and it is so much cheaper than buying squares. I get some that are about 800 lbs; one of those will last five horses about 11 or 12 days.

The pastures each have 30 bales set out; there are 10 horses in one pasture and 8 in the other. This batch of bales was put out on April1st, so 2 1/2 months ago and the bales are roughly half gone now. The eight mares waste more than the ten geldings do. These bales are net wrapped and shed water very well; we lay them on the side, not on end.

Latest posts

Back