Roan sock?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAX

Reaction score
I have a mare and colt that both have a roan sock. I was told this is called a sugar foot or a ghost sock but can not find any info on it to find out anymore about what would cause this. I will post pictures in awhile but was wondering if any of you would have any info about what this might be? Oh and both Dam and colt are bays with no other markings on them at all but the mare does have interesting whirls or cowlicks in her hair on the side of her neck.

20140803_175406.jpeg

20140803_175426.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Andalusian mare at my barn has this. She is solid black otherwise. Her colts show signs of sabino roaning so I've got to guess its a genetic anomoly related to that?

I have a filly that shed off as a weanling with a roan sock. She is an appy by a pintaloosa sire and appy dam. I was told it is sometimes a supressed tobiano characteristic but I havent found any definite info on what would cause it either. Same with some horses having round roan patches on their backs.

10569178_10203260901821316_2141267681_n.jpg

10588694_10203260903701363_43827654_n.jpg

DSCF4310.JPG

Ok I finally figured out how to attach photos to the original post lol they are up on top now. Thanks for the info so far. I just don't honestly see him being sabino or any other type of paint pattern and his dam is the same... NO white or markings except for this "ghost sock" or "sugar foot" or whatever it is called

I have had two horses with that weird kind of sock too over the decades. Both were Appaloosas- one full sized and one Mini.

Latest posts

Back