Roadster Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBrown

Reaction score
What strengths would you look for in a roadster horse? What type of conformation?

Thanks!

When looking for a driving horse (over the Internet, where I can't go see the horse in action) I don't really pick one for specific conformation... the best-built horse in the world might not trot like the best-moving horse in the world.

A roadster horse in particular, has a very specific mental state. They can trot BIG (think Single Pleasure) but they like to do it FAST. A high-energy horse will have the stamina required for the Roadster class, where they don't get a "break" at the walk both ways like the other driving classes.

They should also be able to "set their heads" and hold it at even the fastest drive-at-speed.

Hope that helps a little, since no one else has responded yet.

Andrea

Thanks disneyhorse. What would be the things to look for if you are observing the natural movement of an untrained horse in person in a round pen or fairly confined area?

A fluid ground covering stride with attitude. Understand though you will not know until the horse is hooked and driven if the horse will cut it as a road horse.

This is what I look for in a roadster horse. Lots of reach, lots of drive off the rear. Covers a lot of ground. She prefers doing this than cantering. I also look for all four feet off the ground, showing me she has suspension.

Now all I have to do is wait till she is old enough to break to drive and hope that she still moves like this with leather on, pulling a cart.

A roadster has to have 3 distinct trotting gates. Slow, faster and fastest

th_8.jpg

I can not wait till she is old enough to break!!

default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

The filly is gorgeous. Does she always trot like that? If so she should be great in roadster. She looks like she'll be good in halter too.

Actually its jog trot, road gait and drive on. Your drive on [the fastest gait] is only done in the reverse direction. Road horses are not required to back but are required to stand quietly.

Yes she does always trot like this, with her tail over her back too. This breeding was not done for a driving horse, but for halter. So I was really surprised to get this kind of motion, I repeated the breeding.
default_yes.gif

I was not breeding

The filly is gorgeous. Does she always trot like that? If so she should be great in roadster. She looks like she'll be good in halter too.

Your right,
default_smile.png
I know what they are called, but the beginner may not understand what they mean, so I felt it was easier to just discribe the trotting gates in easy terms.

Actually its jog trot, road gait and drive on. Your drive on [the fastest gait] is only done in the reverse direction. Road horses are not required to back but are required to stand quietly.

Ah yes, but when you do that they think the horse is only supposed to go faster. The gaits themselves while speed is increased so is the length of stride. By the way I like the filly she is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, my mistake.
default_no.gif

Anyway, thanks about the filly. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Can not wait to clip her out this spring.

Ah yes, but when you do that they think the horse is only supposed to go faster. The gaits themselves while speed is increased so is the length of stride. By the way I like the filly she is nice.

Back