Risking your life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you risk your life to save your pets?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Minimor

Reaction score
Recently in this province a woman died in a house fire. According to the local news the woman and her husband had safely left the house after discovering that the house was on fire. Then the woman went back inside to try and save their 3 dogs. She did not make it back out of the house--it sounds like the house collapsed on her. A neighbor said that those dogs were like children to the couple, so he wasn't surprised that she risked her life to try and save them.

The local radio station posted a poll the same as this one, asking if people would or would not risk their lives to try and save their pets. Results were approximately 50% yes and 50% no.

I do think that some people who vote yes may very well find that if they were in the situation they wouldn't risk their life after all, and I think probably some that vote no might find in the the situation that they actually would try, even at risk to themselves.

On Reignmaker's cougar thread some suggest it would be stupid for anyone to try to save an animal from a cougar attack by grabbing the cougar by the tail. We were talking about this at work yesterday, and all agreed that in such a situation you have a few choices if you don't happen to have a gun handy...let the cat take the animal it is attacking, kick the cat in the nose or backside, or grab it by the tail...dangerous for sure, but with no other options I think it is desperation, not stupidity, that would make a person do such a thing. We've had wildlife problems here, and we've often asked each other what would you do if you went out & found that a cat/bear/wolf was attacking a pony....I'm afraid that if a shrieking, charging owner...with or without pitchfork...didn't frighten the predator away then I would resort to doing something desperate....or "stupid" some people would say.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here there is no such thing as "pets". We're all family so without a doubt I would put my life on the line for anyone here.

Oh, yes, there are no pets here either, they are all "little people"--and therefore family too.
default_wub.png

In case no one could guess, I voted 'yes' !

Yes, I would, too. I wouldn't really even think about it, it would just be a natural reaction.

Jill said it perfectly, it would be my Natural reaction, But I hope / PRAY I Never have to know that feeling

I think that has to be our greatest fears,....

Janice Silvio

I'm afraid I wouldn't even think about what I was doing, my animals "kids" are that important to me. They are part of my family.

It would also be my natural reaction to do something to save my fur kids but I honestly don't think we really know until faced with something like that. When that "gotta DO something" hits us I think a lot of us would tend to act without first considering the consequences. Who really knows what we'd do when desperation (great description) hits us? I hope none of us ever find out.

Jill said it perfectly, it would be my Natural reaction, But I hope / PRAY I Never have to know that feelingI think that has to be our greatest fears,....

Janice Silvio
My greatest fear is something happening to my babies, i don't even like to think about it. My mission is to make and keep my puppys the happiest two dogs in the world
default_wub.png
. For me it would be a natural reaction too. I don't think anyone would understand it unless they let an animal into there heart, its no different then a person.

You can put me in the yes category as well. I believe that when we adopt/buy any creature we have a responsibility to him or her to keep them as safe as we possibly can and protect them, just a mother will do for her child. We do essentially become their herd sire or pack leader.

Cats are people too! Not pets. Of course I'd try to save my kids!
default_yes.gif

Someone said their animals were little people. Well, our pets are people too. I think in an emergency I would react without thinking and try to save my animal family member.

chico

I think that people who have pets ( and not just dogs/horses) are more empathetic than others. We would jump right on in thinking OMG, Fluffys hurt! And not will I get hurt doing this?

I agree I would find a way to help one of my animals if they needed me. I can say I have risked my life even for wildlife, stopping on mountain roads to rescue a turtle or what ever from the road. I try to be safe but if some one came hauling *ss around a corner and didn't stop well, it could happen. Even with that I don't think I can stop getting the animals out of the road if I KNOW I can save them. At least I usually have a team effort with Hubby or daughter.

As long as I had somekind of weapon I would try to rescue an animal from a prey animal. We have heard of mountain lion, coyote and bear in this area. But we have never seen one. About 5 miles from here a fella took pics of an adult black bear last fall. So they are here.

This is a good thread to make you aware of the possibilities, so we can get prepared for any situation that could arise.

I have a metal barn and stalls so not a high risk of fire. Don't keep hay in the barn either. I would have to get my precious kitty Purdy out of the house or die doing it! I don't think I could live with her dying in a fire. When she goes hopefully natural you can dig a hole big enough for both of us cause my heart will die with her.

I am going to say YES! - to a point! Talk to your local fire department about how dangerous and serious this can be for you!!! I work with a guy who retired from a long career as a fireman- had to retire due to injuries received while doing his work. The stories will scare the you know what out of you- even when these guys are fully trained with all their equipment. It takes SECONDS to be overcome by smoke, carbon dioxide, etc.. and you will die before the fire ever gets to you!!! He almost died once trying to get a Doberman Pincher out of a burning place... it was on the 3rd floor where the fire had NOT reached yet, but the dog was already dead due to the carbon monoxide. He wanted to at least remove the dog in an effort to resusitate it or so the family could bury their pet. He almost died himself, even WITH his air, etc... on and had to leave the dog behind half way out as it was that bad.... and he seriously considered a few times in his career, jumping out of windows a few floors up, due to the severity of the situations.

So use your heads when considering this please!!!! There are some things you are not going to be able to help!!!

this past summer, a bear charged my 12 lb dog, and I ran between the bear and my dog, screaming (more from fear, you should have heard the things coming out of my mouth, LOL) and the bear false charged me, and then backed off. Scarred theheck out of me, frank (my dog) and in hindsight, should I never do it again. Would I? In a minute. I am sure I would do the same, if there were a fire.....and my hus is a fiefighter, he tells me all the time not to do it if it were to happen. I guess, I just hope it never comes down to it.....

I wouldn't think twice about saving any of my animals as they are my kids.

So my answer is (YES)

Joyce

I'm with everyone else--YES--the furries are part of my family too. When it comes to crisis situations, my heart definitely leads the way. Like Maxi's Minis I've also gone running out into the road to try to save wildlife, stray dogs, etc. Of course I try to be careful, but quite frankly for me the choice between trying to save an animal or watching something innocent die is an obvious one.

Latest posts

Back