Right angel...wrong angel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvcsherman

Reaction score
We just clipped our little mare last night for the first time this season. When she was done I couldn't help admiring just how tiny & proportioned she really is.
default_wub.png
Then while standing over her & looking down at her she appeared to have a long thick body & short sticks for legs.
default_unsure.png
When I looked at her again at "her" level....my gorgeous proportioned girl was back!
default_rolleyes.gif

I thought this would be fun & very helpful.
default_wink.png

As we all know....sometimes it seems impossible to get good pictures of our tiny horses. Most people just don't know how to take a great picture while others make it look easy.
default_wacko.png

Wouldn't it be interesting to see pictures the same horse taken from the "right angel" & the "wrong angel" to show everyone just how important the "right angel" can be! Anyone willing to share?

You mean the right angle?
default_biggrin.png
I thought you were talking about a little mare named "Angel," as in a cute winged cherub!
default_laugh.png
You've got a good point though, and the right angle can make all the difference when photographing miniature horses. I get frustrated sometimes because my mom can't get down on their level with her bad knees so I have her stand way back and use the zoom to minimize the effect. When I'm shooting these guys I get right down on their level and make sure the camera is centered near the horse's elbow from front to back, and halfway between the elbow and the wither from top to bottom. That is the same place I'd shoot conformation shots of a big horse from, so they come out looking correct.

Leia

Leia takes really good photos. Her comments should be taken to heart!
default_yes.gif

Bad photos are my pet peeves. I can't stand seeing them used in ads or on websites. I have individuals send me bad pictures all the time of their horses for either comments on conformation or as possible training prospects and I can't tell anything about the horse because the photo distorts everything about it. I don't have any bad ones to share (because we delete those and aim to not take them in the first place) but here are some good ones.

trixie09.jpg

texaco509rightbfw.jpg

On the two above, the photographer positions themselves between the hips and shoulders, and SQUATS and shoots straight at the barrel. The handler keeps the neck aligned with the hips and shoulder.

TSO7095weeks.jpg

daisy7098weeksb.jpg

Unhalter broke foals are hard to get pictures of. These are both 3/4 shots. The first one is pretty good despite chase this colt around the pen and then scrambling to get into position when he "posed". The second one could be better because the filly is moving her head and neck away from the camera. So, it distorts her a bit. But it's still a good shot for the same reasons on the colt!
default_rolleyes.gif
. When they are a little older and halter broke, we'll get shots like the two above them.

1) Always squat to get on their level.

2) Aim between the hips and shoulders...if at an angle, have the shoulder closer to you.

3) HEADS AND NECKS UP AT ALL TIMES!

4) Groom!

My only comment is anybody that has ever watched Liz photograph a horse would understand, sometimes she is laying on the ground! Need to make them look leggier, shoot up, want a potty squatty thing, stand on top of them! Want a correct photo that tells a potential buyer what they are really getting, see TX Mini Pinto suggestions above!
default_laugh.png

I've seen Liz in action and she's amazing! But never buy a horse solely off one of her pics! ;) I wish I had her talent.

Not only does needing to be in the right angle make an effect on the picture, but so does lighting. I hate pictures that are too dark or way to shaded.

Latest posts

Back