Results from Necropsy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
We finally received the results from the necropsy on our beautiful little colts. If you remember both looked as if they had just gone to sleep and no illness at all. One colt was 15 days and the other was 24 days old. The results were positive for oleander in the stomach and the colon.

We don't have any oleander, but 5 acres away there are two families with oleander. One family has agreed to let us remove their oleander tomorrow. We're still waiting to hear from the other neighbor.

The vet told us that 1/2 a leaf could kill a 15 lb baby.

I miss my babies but hopefully we'll be able to prevent the loss of any of our other horses.

Stephanie

Oh no, I am so sorry, but at least now you know. I am glad your neighbours will agree to let you remove it. So what exactly is it? I have never heard of it before?? A plant that grows wild??

Ohhhh how scarey! I am so sorry you lost those babies....who'd've thought a leaf! 5 acres away....a possibility the leaves were wind blown then?

so sorry what a sad way to loose 2 beautiful colts

please what is it never heard of it either is it a vegetable?

I looked it up in my toxic plant book its a flowering bush or tree

it says takes only 1 ounce of leaves to kill a large horse so scary

thanks for letting us know

again so sorry

Stephanie, I am so sorry to hear that. Do you think that is why you lost some horses a few years ago ?

That concerns me as a 15 day old foal is really not eating much of anything yet except milk.

You dont think that someone would do it on PURPOSE do you?? How would they get a new baby to even eat it?

Oleanders are a plant that can get HUGE- 8 to even 20 feet, with colorful flowers. It is used a lot, since it is hardy- heat and drought resistant, for landscaping- we have a LOT of it in the valley. It is also a wonderful source of allergies for some folks. They are an 'evergreen' plant that is green and also flowers throughout the year, that can survive with very little care. They like warm sunny climates and can survive in the desert areas quite well and all along through the South too. They are extremely poisonous!!!

Here are some pics-

oleander03.jpg

The leaves look like this-

oleanderleaves1.jpg

Example of how big they can be, but are often trimmed into trees, etc..

Oleanderswild.jpg

That concerns me as a 15 day old foal is really not eating much of anything yet except milk.

You dont think that someone would do it on PURPOSE do you?? How would they get a new baby to even eat it?
Thanks for posting the pictures, I couldn't find any good ones.

Our babies put everything in their mouths. They nibble on anything they find that is unusual. I've seen them with sticks, strings, paper bags, etc. We have lots of wind here and have even had a camper shell blow into our yard.

We had a plastic bag blow in the turnout and one of the babies grabbed it and ran around like a fool. I'm sure she couldn't figure out why all the other horses were running from her. She did a fantastic job of sacking out the other horses.

I'm glad that you now know what happened to them, but gosh, who'd have thought an oleander 5 acres away would be the culprit! I hope the second neighbor will agree to have his bushes removed as well. I assume the wind blew a few leaves in, and the babies nibbled on them? Young foals don't eat much, but I know mine are always chewing on stuff--we always laugh about how a little foal can chew & chew & chew on one blade of grass! Some gets spit out but obviously some goes down too.

I'll be peering suspiciously into my neighbors' yards to make sure they're growing nothing dangerous!

I am so very sorry. (I truly cannot image how very difficult it must be losing your sweet foals that way.)

Oleander is very popular in central Texas (It is an attractive plant ). I knew it was poisonous to horses, but had no idea how lethal it really is. (And, I have never thought to be concerned about the effects that a neighbors plants might have.... within my pasture.)

Thanks for sharing the findings.

My deepest sympathy.

-Becky

Oh my! I have one on my porch that I bring in every winter, as they are not winer-hardy here. My horses could easily have eaten a leaf. Thank goodness they never did.

Thanks for posting this!!

Marsha

It was terrible losing your two babies, but at least you have an answer and can hopefully keep it from happening again.

That is so heartbreaking.........Thank you for sharing it for us.

Information like that can be invaluable.

MA

I can only imagine how horrible this experience has been for you, but thank goodness you have an answer and it is something you can prevent from happening again.

Unfortunately so many of the beautiful landscaping plants we like are very dangerous to horses. I wish there were a list of 'safe' plants somewhere!

Charlotte

Five acres, really isnt all that far, if you live in an area that is even breezy. The leaves can go EVERYwhere. Yep, I think I would be patrolling the neighborhood on a bike with a blow torch strapped to my back!!!!

So sorry to hear of the loss Steph, that is just awful. Even an adult horse could easily get hold of one by mistake while grazing and I understand they are toxic enough it doesnt have to chew and swallow it! Even chewing some and getting the poison in it, though they spit out the leaf, can be a problem.

Steph, hope the folks there will be understanding in removing plants. They are going to be hard to get out though. If the roots are left, they will COME BACK as they are VERY hardy and tough!! Either that or take up a collection for a glass dome to put over your place.

Hopefully this will never happen again and hugs to you on your losses- how awful.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little ones.

We have almost 6 acres. All of our neighbors have at least 5 acres and in a good wind it seems almost everything blows onto our property as it's down hill from most of them. We are constantly watching for all kinds of foreign objects and always have leaves, etc. everywhere.

The winds are the reason that Norco outlawed Oleander in the whole town - it isn't even planted along the freeway through here. They offered free shrubs to people who dug their oleander out for awhile, not sure if they still do. Scary stuff - especially since it's EVERYWHERE in SoCal!

Just a tiny bit of sap or leaves can kill a CHILD - just sap on their hands, then putting their hands in their mouths!
default_unsure.png
:

Please note that the toxic plant lists so often referenced are nowhere near comprehensive -- they contain only a smattering of the most common landscape plants. Most serious gardeners go far beyond the plants listed on the Cornell site and most others.

The best one I ever found is on the IVIS veterinary website, but that is no longer available to non-members.

Beware of "Safe Plants" lists. I found one and noted several plants that are NOT safe on it.

I'm assembling a compilation of various toxic plant lists, including their effects, but your very best bet is to check with youru county extension agent.

Latest posts

Back