Researching minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Hello.

I have been horseless for many years now, though I used to show in a big way mainly in the 3-gaited and pleasure driving divisions as well as in hand. However, my past experience has only been with large horses. My husband has finally given me the go ahead to begin my search for my next horse and I am quite interested in the minis.

I have checked out several farm's websites and also hit the AMHR FAQ's and that sort of thing. However, I am a little lost when it comes to bloodlines within this breed. I would like to do in hand showing as well as pleasure driving. Can you guys point me in the right direction as far as the lines that may best suit my goals?

In my research, I've noticed that I prefer a horse that is ASPC (I hope I said that correctly), more refined, upright in the neck, with a very pretty head. I am thinking that I like a (again, unfamiliar with these terms, so I hope I am stating this properly) Section A horse, I believe those are the smaller ones, right? I'm not really partial to horses of colour, though I'm not put off by it either. Colour just isn't that important to me, I stick to the addage, "I've never seen a good horse that was a bad color."

I would appreciate your input on the bloodlines and/or farms that are producing the type of horse that I've described.

Thanks!

Hi!
default_saludando.gif

There are lots of terrific bloodlines, but I'm not the best one to answer that question as I can't speak to the specific advantages of each. I remember similar discussions on here in the past, so maybe the search option can help. But, folks love to talk bloodlines, so I'm confident you'll get answers.
default_smile.png
I can help with the height issue. The ASPC is a sheltland pony registry. AMHR inlcudes both A size 34" and under and B size, over 34-38". AMHA is for 34" and under only. There are many horses that are double registered in AMHR and AMHA, and others who are ASPC/AMHR, and I believe--although not as common, there are ASPC/AMHR/AMHA registered horses. That's tricky to do though!
default_smile.png

Also, you can go to the Breeder's Connect page to search for farms in states close to you--it's a start. Also try the sale page.

Good luck in your search--that's a fun part!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like bloodlines such as Blue Boy, Bond, Mickey Mouse, Buckeroo & Sids Rebel although a great horse does NOT have to have those in it - I was just naming a few.

And yes, for showing I would select a more Arabian typed Miniature that is a good as you can afford.

I am however still a newbie of sorts at showing and such, but I am sure more experienced veterans will chime in soon! WELCOME TO THE MINIATURE WORLD!!
default_saludando.gif

I don't come on this forum very often, but I would like to take the time to respond to your questions as there always seems to be much confusion about the AMHR, AMHA and ASPC/AMHR horses. AMHA or American Miniature Horse Registry is a registry for small equine strickly under 34". These horses are registered by height only and are not a breed of horse. AMHR or American Miniature Horse Registry which is small equine again registered by height only, "A" miniatures are not to exceed 34" and "B" miniatures are not to exceed 38". Again this is a height registry only and not a breed of horse. ASPC or American Shetland Pony Club is a registry for Shetland Ponies and these horses ARE A REGISTERED BREED. There are Classic Shetlands ( which are often dual registered ASPC/AMHR) Being that at birth they are registered shetlands but stay under the 38" mark so will also be registered as a mini under 38", Foundation Shetlands often dual registered and Modern Shetlands which were usually over 38" but we have been seeing a number of modern Shetlands stay under 38". Just as there are A and B minis there is A and B shetlands. A shetland under 42" was an "A" shetland and 42-46" was a "B" shetland. The BOD has decided to do away with the "A" "B" designation on the shetland papers in the future. There are many excellent breeders of the ASPC/AMHR horses and the ASPC only horses as well. If you google ASPC/AMHR on the internet it will bring up several of the pony breeders. Another good source is in the Journal which is a publication you receive when you become a member of The ASPC/AMHR. If it is ponies you are interested in then the bloodlines are very different than that of the miniatures. Hope this helps you somewhat.

I would also like to add that you can have double and triple registered horses that can be registered AMHA, AMHR and ASPC. For instance if you have a 32" A size horse, it can be hardshipped AMHR and ASPC (I'm not 100% sure on ASPC rules - but AMHR and ASPC is run by the same "mother company"). However, you need AMHA papers to hardship into AMHR.

If you want to do ALOT of showing - I would suggest purchasing a Triple Registered horse or a double registered.

Either way you go, you should visit the following websites:

1. AMHR & ASPC --> http://www.shetlandminiature.com/
  2. AMHA --> http://www.amha.org/
I **STRONGLY SUGGEST** to steer clear of any other "miniature horse registries" such as WCMHR unless it is a horse that has AMHA and/or AMHR papers as well. I'm not saying anything is bad about those horses, it's just most buyers/breeders/exhibitors show AMHA/AMHR/ASPC.

Wow, thanks! You gys have certainly given me many nice leads in the forum and by PM.

I have found that the horses that I have particularly liked in photos all happen to go back to the prefix 'Michigan's.' The two that have stood out for me so far are SMHC's Ringmaster (sired by Waulk Away Catch the Wind and out of a Michigan's mare called Michigan's Bit O'Luck) and Michigan's A Voter With Class (who is by Michigan's Instant Replay who was by Michigan's Midget Mike). Does anyone know if Michigan's Bit O'Luck is by Michigan's Midget Mike? If so, then I may have found a sire line that I like.

The websites on both of these horses say that they are ASPC/AMHR and thanks to your help, I can somewhat understand what that means. However, both seem to be taller than a Section A horse would be. Maybe this is a stupid question but if you breed a smaller mare to the taller stallion would it put the mare in jeopardy during foaling? Also, would that then produce a horse with the potential to be a section A horse?

Also, within the breed, are Section A horses preferable to Section B horses when it comes to breeding and resale? Do the judges tend to show preferance to a Section A over a Section B horse? Do they ever put both Section A and Section B horses into the same class for a Grand Championship?

Sorry for all the questions, I have so much to learn.

I certainly will be checking out the websites that several of you have PM'ed to me. Huge thanks for your help on this. Likely, my goals will be a bit more clear after I attend my first show. I found one that is to be held in my state in October. I would also like to attend the Nationals and get a feel for what is winning there. When are those held, please?

Thanks!

Maybe this is a stupid question but if you breed a smaller mare to the taller stallion would it put the mare in jeopardy during foaling?

You will find that several people have different opinions. Some say they go by the 2 inch less rule which would be like having a 33" stallion and breeding mares as small as 31 to that stallion. It really depends on your stallions bone structure (refined vs bulky) as to what you do. Personally I have used this rule with my refined stallion on a smaller mare the has very thick bone.

Also, would that then produce a horse with the potential to be a section A horse?

Maybe, maybe not - it depends on which way the horse's genetics go. . .he/she could favor dad's height or mom's height OR could end up somewhere in between. Even two smaller A horses could produce a B foal and vice versa with two B sized horses producing an A sized foal - just depends on genetics!

The best way to figure out heights would be LIL BEGINNINGS MINIATURE HORSE INFORMATION PAGES under "Miscellaneous" and use those charts or take the cannon bone measurement at birth.

If you wish, you can PM me if you want.

Katie

Welcome to the forum!! I predict you will love whatever mini(s) you end up with! It sounds like you are doing your homework and asking good questions. And this is a good place to ask!

Have you checked to see what shows are offered in your area? Or maybe you don't mind driving a long way? In our area (New England) there are very few AMHR shows, and more AMHA shows, which likely affects the market.

Just one thing I would like to point out, about the sizes (and registries). If you come from big horses - especially 3 gaited horses - I think it is pretty natural that you would prefer the ASPC ponies and larger minis, because they do tend to look more like what you are used to. But some of us like a challenge, and the smaller minis (34" and under) are getting better and better all the time! Try to visit some farms and see some different types "in person". And by all means, watch the World Show!!!

You don't say where you are located, but the AMHA World Show is going on now through next weekend in Ft Worth TX. AMHR Nationals was just over last weekend, it's September in Tulsa OK. Well worth watching and attending either or both - you will see a stronger Shetland influence at Nationals than World, as the taller B horses show there and quite a few are AMHR/ASPC.

Jan

Hello and welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of Miniature Horses!

I sent you a PM but I'm not very computer literate and you may not have recieved it. My main herd sire is out of Michigans Bit O Luck and sired by SMHC's Freedoms Painted Warrior. We are extremely pleased with him and what he has been producing for us. Would love to have you visit our site at: http://minibrook.webs.com

You're welcome to contact me with any questions you might have. My contact information is:

[email protected]

Ph 724-283-2433

Best Regards,

Carol

Thank you all so much for your replies and PMs. I have researched a few farms that you have pointed me to and I am amazed that you seem to really 'get' the type of horse that I am looking for. I have found a show that is within a reasonable road trip distance from my house and I do have plans to attend that show in October. I'm disappointed that I didn't start this research a month sooner. It would have been nice to have gotten down to see the Nationals. In the 'bigger horse' world, there is usually a show videographer at the Nationals and he does individual classes as well as having a compilation tape of the show avaiable for purchase. Does the AMHR/A Nationals have an official videographer? It would sure be nice to see what I missed.

Back