Remember my post about the bird?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Well, maybe a week ago I had posted asking questions about getting a bird, and got a lot of great replies. We had planned to wait until after the baby came and everything settled down to get one, but in the mean while we would go to some bird expos and research breeders in my area. There aren't any breeders in our area that breed the kind of bird we wanted (a Pacific Parrotlet) so I figured it would take me months to find a breeder, then a while to wait for them to have babies and be weaned. Well, I posted an ad on my local craigslist asking if anyone knew when the next Pittsburgh bird fair was because im researching Parrotlets and wanted to see if I could find a breeder there. A lot of people replied, but someone actually replied that they had a 2 year old parrotlet that they needed to rehome. Theres a whole story behind that, but I wont get into it. Anyway, we ended up with a new parrotlet yesterday afternoon. I would consider it more of a rescue, although I did pay for him and his cage and accessories. I spent about 3 hours cleaning his cage, toys, and accessories when I got him home. I used my steam cleaner because your not supposed to use cleaning solutions with birds. Normally it gets things clean fast, but a lot of his items were pretty dirty. We put about 6 new toys and a variety of new and old foods in his cage, and I let him be for a while, figuring he would be shy and want left alone at first. Boy was I wrong. After about 2 hours, Im in the kitchen, next to my living room, and I hear PEEK A BOO, so I turn around, and there he is. So, I decide that I'll let him out on top of his cage (with the dog upstairs in her crate) with a piece of millet. I figured he'd stand up there and eat it. Well, a few minutes later I felt something on my back.... He flew across the room into the hood on my sweat shirt, and stayed there. Hmm, big suprise, I was told his wings were clipped, they obviously aren't. Well, we will get that fixed soon. Anyway, He stayed there for about 20 minutes, then climbed up on my shoulder, and snuggled in my hair. After a while he climed down onto my sleeve, and sat there saying pretty bird and peek a boo for a bit. He also seems t know the word "steamy". He is molting, which is when they get new feathers, and it can be uncomfortable. I read online that I could take him into the shower with me, and the steam would help him with his molting. Im not quite that brave, im worried he might fall into the hard tub, get burnt by hot water, or crap on me in the shower. Ok, ok, husband might get jealous too
default_laugh.png
But I did put him in his travel cage and sit it on the bathroom floor while I showered so he got some steam. The whole time he was saying "steamy" He must have had it done before? Anyway, here is a picture of him from his old owner, I still need to take some.

joncage-sm.jpg

Hubby wasnt too mad we got one so soon. We really planned to wait, but this guy really needed a new home, and he was actually in the same town we live in.

Also, does anyone have any name suggestions? He came with the name Julian, but he doesnt seem to know it, and we dont really like it. We were thinking about Luigi (the green guy from mario brothers games) but called him Wigi. I really cant think of anything good, unusual, but still easy to say.

default_wub.png
what a cute bird. Call him Superman lol

Since he can fly without wings haha

What a cutie and it seems like he's a real sweetheart too!! Did you luck out! Sometimes parrots have a hard time adjusting to new people, but it seems like he is your friend already! Nice!

What a cutie pie! I agree, he doesn't look like a Julian......but "Wigi" sounds good! Try it out on him and see how he responds!

I'm so happy for you, and little Wigi, too!!! Sounds like it was meant to be! I love it when they snuggle under your hair. He's in love with you already. Congratulations and I wish you many years of happiness with him!!!
icon12.gif

Now we're undecided on a name. We also thought of Yoshi, the little green dinosaur from mario, and hubby really likes it. I like it too, I just have a hard time picking names for pets lol.

Latest posts

Back