Rejected foal- UPDATE 1/10

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this, and I sympathize. We helped raise a rejected foal for a neighbor a couple of years ago.. The owners were very novice, did not realize the mare was in foal and found brand new filly outside with the stallion standing over her guarding her from the dam. The mare is an aggressive, kind of nasty mare anyway and would not take the foal under any circumstances, even with several days of intensive efforts at the vet clinic (and they specialize in breeding/foaling, etc). The owners work full time so the filly ended up here during the day, stalled with a sweet old mare of mine who probably would have let her nurse had she tried but filly had been kicked away enough by mom that she wouldn't attempt it. They rigged a large bottle on the wall initially, and the filly did beautifully. There was still a lot of round the clock, intensive care for awhile but she survived and is now a nearly two year old, kind of spoiled but healthy young mare. She has mom's attitude so it's probably fortunate there was intervention and she got lots of early expert handling....otherwise they would have two mares pushing them around lol.

I digressed, but hope you have better luck getting your foal to nurse. Raising a healthy foal without mom can be done though, just don't count on much sleep for awhile.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back