Regional County News report

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
I am quoting from a December publication of the Regional County News, received in our mail box today.. The article is about an Equine Sanctuary opening in a new location in Perth County, Ontario.

This facility is close to where we live.

In the article the facility owner makes a comment about a miniature horse she has rescued, saying " the breeder didn't want him because he grew to big."

She says"he was unwanted by the breeder because he's too big to register.

Then she goes on to say "the problem is (Miniature Horses) are so inbred (because breeders) are trying to get them smaller and smaller and then they end up with physical abnormalities."

She goes on to say, " the biggest problem for horses is horse people"

The article troubles me and I feel it paints a "not so pretty picture" of the miniature horse breeder.

I also know that reporters often make mistakes and print "what they think they heard" and often it is very "out of context" or just plain incorrect.

I would really like to get an opportunity to clarify the statements but would appreciate some feedback from the forum with regard to some different ideas on the best way to approach.

If I have placed this topic in the wrong forum, forgive me. I am upset about the article and feel it will damage the miniature horse market, which is growing nicely in our area and also we have 4 H clubs starting which will involve our young people more and more with the little horses.

I would write a rebuttle article to that paper. first, a reporter should get all of the facts before they write an article that can hurt an industry.

You can point out that the miniature horse has the largest gene pool out there of all the horse breeds. And, just like all other horse breeds, there are some breeders who should just not be breeding. All horse breeders will sell off their not quit right stock. The pinto breeders who do not get pintos, the Arabian breeders who produce a foal not pretty enough or the Morgan breeders who get a foal with high white coloring. Up until a few years ago, that was a no no in the Morgan world.

Yes, we sometimes get dwarfs, but so do other breeds. We also can get some deformed foals, but again, so do all other breeds.

To quote information from someone who is ignorant of our breed is very poor reporting!!i

Last edited by a moderator:
You can write a letter to the editor dispelling some of the heresay's written in that article.

I agree with riverdance, maybe invite him to see the miniatures and how you are set up...

I know your place is remarkable, and tell him how the 4H club is coming along.
default_wub.png

I would write a rebuttle article to that paper. first, a reporter should get all of the facts before they write an article that can hurt an industry.
You can point out that the miniature horse has the largest gene pool out there of all the horse breeds. And, just like all other horse breeds, there are some breeders who should just not be breeding. All horse breeders will sell off their not quit right stock. The pinto breeders who do not get pintos, the Arabian breeders who produce a foal not pretty enough or the Morgan breeders who get a foal with high white coloring. Up until a few years ago, that was a no no in the Morgan world.

Yes, we sometimes get dwarfs, but so do other breeds. We also can get some deformed foals, but again, so do all other breeds.

To quote information from someone who is ignorant of our breed is very poor reporting!!i
May I have permission to quote from some of these excellent responses?

Thanks Riverdance and Muffntuff and Reble for responding. I will be letting the reporter know that he should remember his market and making a statement to injure a market that is beginning to grow in his area, without doing some homework is very reckless.

It's like saying our corn producers in Huron County are growing inferior seed and should be avoided at all cost! How ridiculous.

While it does not paint a pretty picture it does paint a somewhat accurate one. I have seen many breeders throw away those oversize horses. We do have many who have thrown out conformation for color and size.

Those who frequent here might not do those things but the truth is there is plenty mini breeders out there that do.

Instead of coming at him like he is incorrect or does not have the facts perhaps just offer to show him another side- with caring competent breeders.

While it does not paint a pretty picture it does paint a somewhat accurate one. I have seen many breeders throw away those oversize horses. We do have many who have thrown out conformation for color and size.Those who frequent here might not do those things but the truth is there is plenty mini breeders out there that do.

Instead of coming at him like he is incorrect or does not have the facts perhaps just offer to show him another side- with caring competent breeders.
Thanks, I tend to get very defensive about our little horses. There is always another side to it! When I prepare a response I might p.m. it to some of the group who have responded to get their take before I send, if you don't mind.

ten people will say things ten different ways, but this is important and it affects the market in general, and mine in particular.

Well Genie-- that article had my dander worked up pretty well too. I just had surgery this week so have not had the strength or energy to get around to figuring out what to do about it -- but his lady posed herself as somewhat of an expert I thought from that article.

Good for you --Perhaps we can send them some GOOD information -- not sure I can find my paper now-- the girls & John have eben keeping things "tidy" around her LOL

Glad to hear I was not the only one upset by this

Well Genie-- that article had my dander worked up pretty well too. I just had surgery this week so have not had the strength or energy to get around to figuring out what to do about it -- but his lady posed herself as somewhat of an expert I thought from that article.Good for you --Perhaps we can send them some GOOD information -- not sure I can find my paper now-- the girls & John have eben keeping things "tidy" around her LOL

Glad to hear I was not the only one upset by this
I'll send you what I sent to the paper.

Latest posts

Back