Regarding phone call I just got re: Agriculture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jo Ann, the ag surveys and the premise ID are 2 entirely different things. The ag surveys are just to get an idea of how many animals (for instance) will be raised and sold in a given period of time. We, as pork producers, use those figures to give us an idea of whether prices will be going up or down. And the ag dept uses them the same way. It tells them if farms are downsizing, going out of business, changing focus, etc. That information really affects all of us, because it encompasses all forms of agriculture including grain and hay production.As far as the premise ID program, I've heard that it may be a long time before it goes into full affect because of the problems setting it up. Theoretically it's supposed to keep track of livestock from birth to death, so that if there's an outbreak of illness it can be traced. We do have a premise ID number, and truly don't feel threatened by it in any way.
You are from WI. and you said

As far as the premise ID program, I've heard that it may be a long time before it goes into full affect because of the problems setting it up
Gee it is Law already in WI. as of last Nov~! You may be talking about the RFID chip Program which does not take into effect untill at least 2009.. But as for as the Premises ID 40,000 have already done so and if not could be subject up to a 2,000 fine.....

The Mandatory Premises Registration Act, signed by Governor Jim Doyle, requires premises identification by November 2005 And everybody by Jan 1, 2006~!

January 1st Premises Registration Reminder for Livestock Owners

(December 22, 2005) The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (WLIC) are issuing a reminder to livestock owners not currently licensed by the DATCP who keep, house or co-mingle livestock to register their premises by January 1, 2006. Those premises currently licensed by DATCP must register by their annual license renewal dates.

"Livestock," as defined by the WI Premises Registration Act Rules

Includes:

· bovine (bison, cattle)

· equine (horses, donkeys, mules)

· goats

· poultry (chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, and squab)

· captive game birds (pheasants, quail, wild turkeys, migratory wildfowl, pigeons, and exotic birds,)

· sheep

· swine (other than wild hogs but including pot belly pigs)

· farm raised deer (elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, and the subfamily musk deer)

· camelids (llamas, alpacas)

· ratites (rheas, ostriches, emu, cassowary, kiwi)

· fish (aquaculture farm)

Not included:

· Rabbits

· Dogs

· Cats

Even the Amish are signing up or lose there ability to sell milk~!!! All this info can be found on the following web site:: Wisc. Permises ID Program

Last edited by a moderator:
I will only say that they aren't gettin any info from me, we used to fill out that survey as well, but I stopped when I realized they didn't need to know this info from me. I can't stand it when things like that happen, just the other day I took my daughter to buy a pair of jeans, okay no big deal but they needed to know my zip code, none of their buisness!!! I always give them a fictious one.. I will not register my animals with some program, my personal opinion is we are nearing the end times!! Other born-again Christians will know what I am talking about

Carrie, that is exactly the way "I" feel about it.

The phone survays some of you have been getting would be USDA Ag. Statistics. We have worked with them over the years. The info they collect is confidential and the people who work at the offices are not native to that area to avoid employees from knowing the people they collect info from. Example: the people in the NH office cannot be from New Enland or even NY. The last guy in charge there was from TX. My neice worked for them as college student for an intership. She was offered a full time position but would have had to move over 1000 miles for the privacy.

As part of the whole survey mostly what they would be doing is collecting data on the number of horses in areas to help determine the economic impact in each region. Part of that data goes to federal funding for each area. If no one reports they have any horses in an area the likelyhood of getting funding for any equine related projects or postions would be greatly reduced. I know some of you will ask where there has ever been any USDA help with equine and some will hope they never do try. Once they have your info they can be quite persistent.

Minifancier, yes I understand that in Wisconsin we are required to have a premise ID, but the federal program is not in place yet, and even in Wisconsin, it's really only gone so far as to require ID. Beyond that, not much has been put in place.

Minifancier, yes I understand that in Wisconsin we are required to have a premise ID, but the federal program is not in place yet, and even in Wisconsin, it's really only gone so far as to require ID. Beyond that, not much has been put in place.
I was just pointing out that this is a 2 part Program First part is the Premises ID which is now in many States and soon across the Country this summer.. 5 Sates have already done this Premises ID and soon Maine is going to Indiana is going through with it.. WA. State is also headed for it and many other States Check with your own State to see just when the First Part Premises ID Program is coming.. The 2nd Part the RFID Program has been pushed back until 2009 But the Premises ID Is going ahead full strength through out the States. Even if there is no National Program for this Individual States Have been going on and doing the Premises ID Program to get it up and rolling before it does become a national thing to do that is all..here is a list of the States that have already done this or are about to do so.

Kentucky: Livestock Producers Register Their Premises During State

Fair 2005.

Maine: State Launches New Premises and Animal Identification

Program

New York: State Registers 7,500 Livestock Premises

Wisconsin: State Reports 40,000 Premises Registration Within its

State Counties..

Maine is just about to go and do this WA. State is also going

ahead with this and there are a number of others, Check with your own

State USDA office to see when your State is next on the list...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back