re dyeing tack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
I need to change the color of some reins from brown to black. the neibor kids have asked me to help them repair their harness. the harness came with their pony. I had to punch a few new holes, it needed a new bridle and was missing its reins. they bought a new briddle [ propper size ], but the reins were out of stock. I have a set that they can have but they are brown. can I just dye over the brown finish or will I need to strip the brown first? if I need to strip first what would be safe to use? thanks DR.

We've used shoe polish in the past to touch up tack.

You could also use RIT dye and then lightly re-oil the reins. RIT will dry out the leather quite a bit. And I'd probably scuff up the shiny side (if there is one) of the reins with a fine sandpaper first.

I've done this with smaller leather ties and it worked out pretty good.

It isn't improper for the reins to be brown. My new carriage harness from Ozark has brown reins. In tradtional riding, the reins are natural brown so the black dye did not come off on the rider's/driver's gloves.

Totally correct!!

Over here you only show in brown reins...I did know why, once, but I think my brain had a "memory dump" a while ago and I can't seem to remember why, now!!
default_rolleyes.gif

default_laugh.png
Rabbitfizz its good to know I'm not the only one who's brain has done that. Darn frustrating when you KNOW but can no longer access the information.

I would not advise dying them because no matter what you use the dye will bleed off onto horse, hands and clothing. Then the reins will look terrible because they will be brown with a patchy black overlay. My brother used to do a lot of leather work as a hobby and even specialized dyes won't last. The dyes must be applied a certain point in the processing of leather to have it 'stick' . I have seen more than one black saddle or other piece of tack loose its colour over time. If the reins are clean and sound they will be great.
default_smile.png

Thanks all , it seems that I was the only one bothered by the color anyway. so brown , or traditional it is. the girls took him out for a drive today. what a blast! their riding coach had him in the arena and was able to get him to turn , left, right, stop , back, and side pass. we know he hasnt been driven for at least a year but hes riden daily. now Im jelous, he was a $500 pony they got at the auction, with a saddle , cart, and harness. DR.

Latest posts

Back