Rat Poison Found in Recalled Food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard about this on the news. 1:00 eastern on CNN they are giving a news report. This is just horrible!!!
default_sad.png

Rat poison found in tainted pet food

From Associated Press

10:30 AM PDT, March 23, 2007

ALBANY, N.Y. - Tests turned up rat poison in the pet food suspected of causing kidney failure in dogs and cats across the country and killing at least 16, state officials and scientists announced today.

The toxin was identified as aminopterin, which is used to kill rats in some countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said. Aminopterin is not registered for killing rodents in the United States, though it is used as a cancer drug, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

State officials did not say how they believe Aminopterin got into the now-recalled pet food, though they said no criminal investigations had been launched.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focusing on wheat gluten in the pet food. Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated, the FDA said.

The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

Menu Foods is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

The company's chief executive and president said Menu Foods delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Menu Foods planned a media teleconference for later today, a spokesman said.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said he was not aware of any criminal investigation involving the tainted food. FBI spokesman Paul Holstein in Albany said today he was not aware of any FBI involvement in the case.

"I don't know where we'll go from here," he said.

Aminopterin, also used as a cancer drug, is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at tinyurl.com/2pn6mm <http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm>. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708

There are a couple threads about this so I wasn't sure which to post it on, but here is an email I got from petsmart today, it has some info on it where to contact the different companies so I thought I'd share, i don't think the links are going to work since it's a copy and paste:

Dear Valued PetSmart customer:

As you have probably heard, Menu Foods, a national manufacturer of pet foods, issued a voluntary recall of canned and pouched wet dog and cat food manufactured in two of its facilities between December 2006 and March 2007. Again, this is a recall of a specific type of wet pet food made by Menu Foods. Other wet pet foods and all dry pet food and treats are not impacted by this recall.

Menu Foods initiated the recall after receiving reports that some of its foods may be the cause of reported illnesses and kidney failure in dogs and cats. Menu Foods distributes these products to supermarkets, mass merchandisers and pet specialty stores, including PetSmart®, under a variety of brand names.

Click here to see a complete list of PetSmart products that are part of the recall, as well as their respective UPCs (also referred to as the bar code). The bar code can be found on the product label; the UPC is under the series of bars. As a reminder, the items listed are the only items that PetSmart carries that have been affected by the recall.

In the meantime, we have pulled all recalled products from our store shelves and have a process in place to help ensure they're not restocked or distributed in any way.

If you have purchased any of the recalled items, you should discontinue use immediately. We recommend you contact your vet if you have any concerns that your pet may have been affected. Symptoms may include:

Vomiting (this is usually the first sign)

Refusal to eat

Fatigue

Abnormal increase in water consumption

Abnormal increase in urination

If you're interested in finding out more about what kinds of tests vets recommend to make a diagnosis, click here.

Additionally, if you are looking for a recommendation for your unique pet food needs, please visit our Smart Nutrition Selector on our website. Or, if you need additional assistance while in the store, feel free to ask an associate. If you know of any other pet parents that are in search of more information, please share this with them.

If you have food that is a part of the recall, you can bring it back to PetSmart for a complete refund. Or, we'll exchange your items with any dry food or alternative canned or foiled pouched wet foods that we have in stock.

Please remember, this recall affects only specific wet pet food items. All dry pet food and treats are not impacted by this recall.

We also encourage customers with concerns or questions to contact any of the companies listed below:

Authority – 1-866-738-7375

Award – 1-866-738-7375

Eukanuba – 1-800-882-1591 (www.eukanuba.com)

Grreat Choice – 1-866-738-7375

Hills/Science Diet – 1-800-445-5777 (www.hillspet.com)

Iams – 1-800-882-1591 (www.iams.com)

Menu Foods – 1-866-463-6738 (www.menufoods.com)

Mighty Dog – 1-800-778-7462 (www.purina.com)

Mixables – 1-303-768-8400 (www.varietypetfoods.com)

Nutro – 1-800-833-5330 (www.nutroproducts.com)

Sophisticat – 1-866-738-7375

At PetSmart, we're very concerned pet parents too, and we will do everything in our power to help. Please visit PetSmart.com for the most up-to-date information. If you have any additional questions about the Menu Foods recall, please call our Customer Service line at 1-866-738-7375.

Sincerely,

Philip L. Francis

Chairman & CEO, PetSmart, Inc.

I got this email as well.

I tried calling Nutro as I wanted to ask them a question about a food we have. I was left on hold for over an hour and finally gave up
default_frusty.gif
:

With all the wheat that is produced on this continent, why on earth do we have to use wheat gluten from other countries in our pet foods? Is wheat gluten made with US/Canadian wheat & processed in the US or Canada not available???

I heard on the radio just yesterday afternoon what the toxin in the pet food was and how they think it might have gotten there (by being used in the fields--a spokesman for Menu Foods said deliberate tampering was unlikely but no details were given as to why it was unlikely) and I thought that is just great.

Do we ever think that this could have been people rather than pets dying from this contaminated wheat gluten? How do we know that same poisonous wheat gluten isn't in our breads, our cream soups, our crackers, cereals, pasta noodles, cookies....our raw flour?

We worry about what chemicals are being applied to our crops here, but obviously we should be worrying about what other countries are doing? There is something seriously wrong with our food system when we export all our products and then import that same product for domestic use.

With all the wheat that is produced on this continent, why on earth do we have to use wheat gluten from other countries in our pet foods? Is wheat gluten made with US/Canadian wheat & processed in the US or Canada not available???
Foreign often equals cheap.
default_sad.png

I'm with you, with all the grain grown in this country, why on earth import the same product?
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back