racheal seems to be taking dear sweet time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you have an awesome vet
default_smile.png
Fingers crossed she goes soon for you!

Still nothing!!! She isn't even acting like she's pregnant!!! EAts and poops is all she does,lol. Dropped her off at the vet again today and he told me the these little guys (and the big ones too) are running two to three weeks over due dates, which is exactly whats been posted here on lil beginnings. Said its due to heat stress from last year.

NOw.... bought pool testing strips last night and tested her. shows hardness level of 1000, but ph is 8.4 which is still high right? so, with the ph level that high does that mean she has a long way to go, or does it drop dramatically when the time comes???

I will post pics hopefully tomorrow. Guess if shes that far off theres no reason to have her stay at the vets waiting. I will jsut keep checking her until she gets closer...

I agree with Diane. We can only go on what we see in photos and what you tell us but the vet can actually see her. 8.4 is still very high and if she were mine i probably wouldn't expect a foaling for at least a few weeks. Each mare is different and I am just saying what I have experienced with my girls.

Would there be any other reason for the ph to be so high? Hopefully she doesn't have anything wrong with her?

No reason other than she is still cooking her baby
default_smile.png

Could you post some new pics Sue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here's the pics. Didn't get great ones of the bag, so if Ineed to, I can get more.... CAn't believe that the Predict A Foal strips showed over a week ago she was ready, and the pool strips show she isn't even close... Frustrating to say the least,lol I know shes not dilated, but wonder how these pics stack up next to the first ones I posted????

Racheal 1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Baby has dropped into place
default_thumbup.gif
This was her 4 days ago and then today

/monthly_05_2012/post-35710-0-16468300-1336179970_thumb.jpg

/monthly_05_2012/post-35710-0-46247300-1336595043_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... thats pretty neat... now I can actually see what you're talking about when you say its dropped. You guys need to have a seminar (online of course) to show us dummies the different stages.
default_yes.gif

This forum is a wonderful place to learn, chat and share experiences that can help others.
default_smile.png

So, now that the baby has dropped, what kind of time line are we looking at now? Do I still depend on the ph strips to go to 6.4 or lower so I will know when she is ready?

The joy of mares is they are all different. Some will have the baby drop and then still drag it all out while others take it as a sign to spit that foal out
default_new_rofl.gif

I find ph is always reliable, even if we miss it in our own testing the ph will ALWAYS drop.

it is sure a lot easier to see the differences when the pictures are side by side
default_whistling.gif

Racheal was so easy to predict last year when she had Destiny. She had the stomps, the biting sides, twitching tail, cow patties, rolling...all within one week. We were rushing to get her stall finished, and when we nailed the last nail in the stall, put some straw in it, went to the house to turn on the camera, and oops!!! there she was foaling in the stall. This is only the second foal I've had with her, but her former owner said she ALWAYS goes early, so of course I've been watching every little sign. On a timeline here...two graduations coming up..one next weekend, and the next in Texas the weekend after. Suppose I could convince Rachael to take pity on an old woman and get wiht it to reduce my stress level, lol.

Yea! Baby has dropped! That comparison picture is so great! I learn things all the time on here. I love it!

Yes come on Sue, i am on the edge of my chair here. I am praying all is well.

We really need some news Sue - how is she doing now and how is your new little bubs - colt or filly?

Know you are busy with everything, but just getting a little worried here and hoping all is ok!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back