racheal seems to be taking dear sweet time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
Have a mare that is now on day 326. Been testing her with the Predict A Foal test strips for the last two weeks and since Saturday they show she should have delivered. She had a bag tight as a balloon, does some stomping and rolling, eats like a horse (pun), tail area is soft, milk is sticky. Finally got worried and had the vet out since she hasn't foaled yet according to what the test strips show. He checked her, said the foal is in the right position, she hadn's dilated yet and everything felt "normal" so far. Said the strips are usualy pretty accurate, so one of two scenerios... one she just insn 't ready yet no matter what the strips say, or two... the foal is dead (althoug he said he really didn't think so as nothing inside her felt mushy or wrong). Been up with her day and night for over a week...running on exhaustion! She takes spells... for three hours will roll, stomp, pace, etc...then just stop. Any ideas from anyone??? Gong to wait out this weekend and then go for ultrasound Monday if she hasn't done anythng by then... These are new strips by the way... not old ones

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people have had issues this year with milk testing ready and it being days to over a week before they foal. I hope this is the case for your mare! Bags have also been going up and down a lot this year too. Good luck!

Usually if the foal has died within utero, the mare will "abort" the fetus, ready or not within a day or two. Also, didn't your vet try to get any foal response when they did the rectal exam?

I would not worry too much. I just had a mare foal last night at 346 days and about three weeks ago she actually secreted milk and then it changed back to clear fluid. Udder fluctuated up and down until about the last week when it became firm again. Our other mare is 348 days today and has hardly any udder. It seems mares have been going late and udders have been going up and down like crazy.

Oh and my mare's foot stomped, side bit, hind leg stomped and itched and butt rubbed for at least two to three weeks before she foaled and the mare at 348 days still has not delivered.

I can't tell you all how much this has helped!!! I am soooo emotional right now, lack of sleep does funny things to me,
default_smile.png
. I will take pics tonight and put on here. Thanks again for the encouragement!!

The mares this year are testing ready and still not foaling. Believe me you are not alone. If you read April's thread you will see that she has been testing ready for nearly a week now and so have many others. Please don't worry, she will foal when she is good and ready.

Yep, dont worry.... I am sure things are fine and yes, it seems lots of folks are having whacky readings on strips this year. Sounds like she is ready to go SOON though.

Hang in there and keep watching - you are going to have one very healthy little foal before very long.
default_yes.gif

oh how scary for you, I hope she has a gorgeous new healthy baby very shortly for you
default_smile.png

I'm sure all will be well but I understand it would be so frustrating. hang in there
default_smile.png

pictures of Racheal.... some cow patties this am.

racheal21.JPG

racheal bag1.JPG

racheal behind1.JPG

Suen you need to change the title
default_please.gif
something like "Racheal's thread"
default_thumbup.gif
we don't want any more negative thoughts cos you baby is going to be fine.
default_yes.gif

I was so worried when I clicked on the thread because the title was "Foal Dead"! I'm sure she's fine! Yes, she is getting the "v" shape, so shouldn't be to long!! Before my mare foaled, I kept saying, she isn't going to have a foal, it's to good to be true, but a beautiful foal popped out!! She is my avatar!

Since I'm, fairly new to all this... how does a person go to change the heading????

And... sending more pics. She did have cow patties this am...

rachal backend.JPG

racheal backed3.JPG

racheal backend2.JPG

Hi Suen, this is April's mom and grandma to a new little one born last night. I know how you're feeling
default_frusty.gif
, but try to relax. everything will be fine
default_yes.gif
. The ladies on here are are all very supportive and give excellent advice
default_thumbup.gif
. Listen to them. Baby will be here before long and you will be filled with joy.
default_new_multi.gif

Yes, my name is sue. I was on here last year as a brand new newbie when racheal was due to deliver destiny. You all were a wonxerful help then to me then too. Iknew if i needed help this would be the place to get it. Thank you all for keepi.g me grounded lol

make sure your predict a foal strips aren't old. The ones I had were old and were changing all 5 squares in about 15 seconds. I switched to the pool strips and checked for ph, and at 2pm Saturday her ph was 6.2 and at 5am Monday morning she foaled. about 3 weeks after the predict a foal strips. Just my observances here. on the pool strips her calcium was really high for what seemed like forever and I think thats what the predict a foal strips go on but I don't know for sure about that.

Latest posts

Back