Rabbit people?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfogg

Reaction score
New neighbors down the street have 2 rabbits. One has a very messy thing going on with a dirty butt all the time. They found out it's allergic to timothy. They don't know what else they could feed it besides the rabbit pellets it's getting now. I told them that someone on here would know!! Anyone know what else you feed rabbits?

Thanks for any advice you could give them.

Bonnie

really all they need is the rabbit pellets. Can give them a few Quaker Oats for the poops, should help. Should not give them much green stuff, none to the baby rabbits. I raised rabbits for several years & all they got was pellets & a carrot once in awhile. Maybe grass hay, that is what they made their nest out of when having babies.

Something they also should be aware of is that a rabbit that is messy at all like that is at a higher risk of fly strike. I have lost three does to it myself (and they were not that dirty), and it is no fun!

They should also NEVER give rabbits cabbage. If you are looking at greens to give them, don't give Iceberg lettuce it is about 90% water and should not be given. Rabbits actually do best on just rabbit pellets from the feed store.

"Rabbit Pellets" is actually just small alfalfa pellets... so should be better than diarrhea! Alfalfa is not the best hay choice for a bunny, but obviously allergies play a role here.

Andrea

"Rabbit Pellets" is actually just small alfalfa pellets... so should be better than diarrhea! Alfalfa is not the best hay choice for a bunny, but obviously allergies play a role here.Andrea
Rabbit pellets are not just small alfalfa pellets. They are a complete feed just like you can get for the horses. Some work better for some breeders than others. But just like horse complete feed there are a ton of brands. There were some brands mine would not eat. Some designed to be a show feed made my rabbits look like crap. I did end up with my own mix that worked well for MY rabbits. However, if you just have 2 bunnies you can usually buy the rabbit pellets for like 40 cents a pound. You do not have to get a 50 pound bag. Also, what you get from the feed store will be better for your bunnies than the junk food at the pet store.

default_wub.png

Thank you so much everyone. I knew there would be some experts on here that would have the answers!!!!!!!

This Forum is just wonderful in so many ways. So many humans and non humans have had their lives changed in wonderous ways!!!!!!

i will print these off and give it to them.

Thank you so much!

Bonnie

totally agree with Katiean! i bred and showed rabbits for years all over the country. mine got a complete feed and i tried several brands to find what worked for mine. just like showing horses.... jennifer
default_saludando.gif

I'm curious. What is a rabbit show like? Is it like the dog shows and cat shows where the judge looks at the bunny on a table or do they do performance things? I've never heard of a rabbit show before, it sounds interesting.

OK, say I hav a Black, JR (3-6 months old), Mini Rex Doe. She is brought to the judges table with all of the other JR Black Mini Rex Does. There is a standard of perfection including an ear length and weight limit they are judged against. This is done for bucks and does, JR and SR, every color. However, every color of brokens (what we call pinto and there are pattern requirements too) are all brought to the table together except they are seperated JR, SR, Buck and doe. The best buck and doe of each group (age and color) are brought back to the table and all best and best oppisite group are judged for Best of Breed and Best Opisite of Breed. After all breeds are judged in the same manor they judge for best in Show. There is no Best Oppisite in Show. I have gotten a best in Show out of 800 animals. Most shows are not this large anymore. infact the show I got the BIS is no longer put on.

I hope this kind of gives you an idea of what happens at a rabbit show.

Well, if you lived in Sweden you could enter your rabbit in a jumping show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaLoNBWnjPQ

I don't know if they do this in the U.S. to any extent... I'd bet there are some random people but don't know of an American organization... sounds fun though!

Andrea

Okay wait, found several American YouTube videos on trained jumping rabbits...

So I guess so!

Andrea

I have had house rabbits for about twenty years now. I have also rescued rabbits, too. The best place to get information on what to feed rabbits is at House Rabbit Society. Domestic rabbits do best on a diet primarily of hay. Timothy is best but any grass hay is good. Pellets should make up only a very small portion of their diet. My current rabbit is only about 4 pounds and he gets 2 tablespoons of plain Oxbow Timothy pellets twice per day (don't feed those pellet mixes with all the junk in them). He is free-fed hay and also gets fresh vegetables twice per day. His favorites are parsley and dandelion greens, cilantro, dried carrots. The vegetables help to keep them hydrated, too. The website I mentioned has lists of safe fruits and vegetables for rabbits--but not too much fruit. Plenty of fresh water is a must. While I have a dripper bottle, he prefers drinking out of a bowl so I have either available at all times. They also need things to chew on; the little Timothy cubes at the pet store (Kaytee is one brand) are a good thing to feed. They need room to move and exercise daily.

Rabbits can be fragile but if you feed them properly and give them exercise, they can live 8-12 years.

I have had house rabbits for about twenty years now. I have also rescued rabbits, too. The best place to get information on what to feed rabbits is at House Rabbit Society. Domestic rabbits do best on a diet primarily of hay. Timothy is best but any grass hay is good. Pellets should make up only a very small portion of their diet. My current rabbit is only about 4 pounds and he gets 2 tablespoons of plain Oxbow Timothy pellets twice per day (don't feed those pellet mixes with all the junk in them). He is free-fed hay and also gets fresh vegetables twice per day. His favorites are parsley and dandelion greens, cilantro, dried carrots. The vegetables help to keep them hydrated, too. The website I mentioned has lists of safe fruits and vegetables for rabbits--but not too much fruit. Plenty of fresh water is a must. While I have a dripper bottle, he prefers drinking out of a bowl so I have either available at all times. They also need things to chew on; the little Timothy cubes at the pet store (Kaytee is one brand) are a good thing to feed. They need room to move and exercise daily.
Rabbits can be fragile but if you feed them properly and give them exercise, they can live 8-12 years.
I am sorry but "The House Rabbit Society" does not know what a rabbit needs when it comes to nutrition. If all they need is hay, well then, our little horses only need pasture. I agree do not feed the junk mix feeds from the PET STORE. The feed store will have a Rabbit Pellet that will supply all your rabbit needs. Just like any of the complete feeds for a horse. Only a rabbit does not need hay. It is a nice treat. But, they do not need it. If you want to give your rabbit hay cubes to chew on, go grab one out of your feed bag from your horses. The others just cost a ton of money for what you already have. I have raised rabbits for well over 40 years and have only seen rabbits die from what the "House Rabbit Society" tells you to do with a rabbit. Feeding a good complete rabbit diet (Purina makes one) rabbits can live for many many years. There was a famous mini rex buck that was about 14 when he died. He was breeding till the end. Not a house rabbit. But a show rabbit.

I havent had rabbits in a few years, but please do check the pellet ingredients to check for timothy. Ive run across some pellets that are timothy based.

My husband took over my daughter's rabbits when she left for college. They are the best fed rabbits I've ever seen. He feeds them Swiss chard all summer and fall--until it stops growing. They love sticks from apple trees--he just trimmed ours and they get a new stick every few days. I give them baby carrots now and then--oh boy do they love those. They get hay now and then (but that's not what you need). Plus, they have pellets in front of them all the time. Oh--and they get every empty toilet paper, paper towel, wrapping paper end roll too. Rabbits love to play and eat those up!!

Hope that helps--rabbits are pretty easy to keep fed/happy.
default_smile.png

I am sorry but "The House Rabbit Society" does not know what a rabbit needs when it comes to nutrition. If all they need is hay, well then, our little horses only need pasture. I agree do not feed the junk mix feeds from the PET STORE. The feed store will have a Rabbit Pellet that will supply all your rabbit needs. Just like any of the complete feeds for a horse. Only a rabbit does not need hay. It is a nice treat. But, they do not need it. If you want to give your rabbit hay cubes to chew on, go grab one out of your feed bag from your horses. The others just cost a ton of money for what you already have. I have raised rabbits for well over 40 years and have only seen rabbits die from what the "House Rabbit Society" tells you to do with a rabbit. Feeding a good complete rabbit diet (Purina makes one) rabbits can live for many many years. There was a famous mini rex buck that was about 14 when he died. He was breeding till the end. Not a house rabbit. But a show rabbit.
Katiean, I did not say that all rabbits needed was hay. It is not just a treat and aids in digestion. I don't understand why you think that "the House Rabbit Society doesn't know what a rabbit needs when it comes to nutrition" and I find it interesting that you've "only seen rabbits die from what the House Rabbit Society tells you to do with a rabbit".

I won't comment further as it's clear you have some kind of grudge against the HRS.
default_unsure.png

(P.S.-There is nothing wrong with Timothy pellets for rabbits. If there was, I wouldn't have rabbits that have lived to 10+ years.)

Latest posts

Back