Quitt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
I just got some Quitt (anti-chewing supplement) to try on my little "termite". How much should I give him per day? And should I put it in his feed once or twice a day?

If this does not work I don't know what I'll do? He is in a pasture and munching the bark off the oak trees! He will even pick up twigs and eat em!
default_wacko.png

I used Quitt on a regular sized quarter horse (we called her the "beaver" lol) and the directions said to give 1 of the scoops that was in the bucket. For a mini, I would put only enough pellets to fill 1 layer of the bottom of that scoop. I fed it only once a day at the evening feeding. I would put her in her stall and put a couple bites of her grain and beat pulp with the Quitt in her bucket. I did this to ensure that she ate all of the Quitt. It only took her a few moments to eat all of that, then I gave her the rest of her food. I found that adding a GROSTRONG Quad Mineral block to her dry lot, along with giving her Quitt helped her to stop chewing wood. When I ran out of Quitt, I didn't buy anymore and kept the mineral block in the dry lot, and she quit chewing, so I'm guessing she needed more minerals. Here is a link so you can see the Quad block. http://www.admani.com/allianceequine/MineralsVitamins.htm The quad block has a lot of different minerals that some of the other mineral blocks don't have. She had 2 different kinds mineral blocks and didn't touch the other one, but she loves the Quad block.

From the reading I did on chewing, I found that if it is a mineral defiency, their wood chewing becomes a habit. So along with the mineral block and Quitt, you have to break the habit also by putting a muzzle on him for a couple weeks when you turn him out. I hope my experience helps and good luck!

OK, thanks! I'll see if I can get one of those blocks. He has a "normal" mineral block but doesn't touch it.

Good to know Christina - thanks for sharing. I'm going to be spending some time on that website reading!

I've had groups of chewers, but I think it was boredom as they don't attack the trees, but one bench - the darn gang chewed the legs off it!

Latest posts

Back