Quiessence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this product? I read that it will help "calm" a horse that is spooky / tense? Here is a full product description @ http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass...oductclassid=17

Did you notice your horse take on a more calm attitude and relax them? Thank you
default_smile.png

I have heard nothing but great things about Quiessence. I know a couple people who used it to calm nervous horses and it seemed to help. I also know of a couple people who used it on their horses that looked close to foundering (the thick cresty necks and fat pockets) and it did help get them more normal looking.

Haven't heard anything negative...

Andrea

I have heard nothing but great things about Quiessence. I know a couple people who used it to calm nervous horses and it seemed to help. I also know of a couple people who used it on their horses that looked close to foundering (the thick cresty necks and fat pockets) and it did help get them more normal looking.Haven't heard anything negative...

Andrea
Thank you Andrea! I had been looking at it for a few days now and figured i would just ask, i have one that even with training, she just needs her nerves calmed. I will order a bucket of it, thank you Andrea!

She has just a little to much edge to her...will give this a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know if it works, I may have to look into it for one of my show horses...no matter what I do I just can't seem to get him calm and trusting. I mess with him every day even if it is just to brush him or pet him or whatever and he is still scared....it won't do anything to their weight will it since it is used for fat horses?

Hi,

My roommate uses this on two stallions she has in training, a Frieisan stud and a warmblood stud. While it doesn't make them sleepy and totally calm, it does take quite the edge off, and makes them much easier to handle. If the friesian goes off his Quiessence for too long, he will get rowdy and tough to handle (He is 7 this year). It also does help with his neck and keeping it from getting too cresty. It is the only product that has consistently made a difference on his neck, and attitude.

I would highly recommend it.

Amanda

I have been using Remission, which is the same as Quiessence on one mare. I have had no issues with it. It costs much less than Quiessence.

Have any of you used it on a horse that will be used for breeding? on the site it says that it has not been tested for breeding animals

When I first got my new pony I looked into the Quissience/quietex products and discovered a lot obout the reasons they work. It has to do with a vitamin/mineral difficiency relating to B vitamins and magnesium. The lack of these in the proper ratio affects the nercous system of the horse and thus can result in a horse who acts nervous or tense. It affects their ability to relax and to concentrate. I found supplimenting with a B vitamin suppliment and a good all purpose vitamin/mineral suppliment that included magnesium calmed my horse VERY well. (I used Farnam products for both of these, the vitamin/mineral suppliment had adequate levels of magnesium but the levels of B vitamins were not high enough on its own to provide the calming affect, thus I added the extra B specific suppliment). It was MUCH less expensive (ie a third of the cost) for this than for the Quiessience.

All the above said... if you have the money or a good source for the Quiessience than by all means it should work to calm the horse provided that the reason he is nervous/excitable/has trouble concentrating is related to a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Otherwise the product will not help.

I used it very briefly on my TB, had to stop before a show and never started it back up. It did seem to have an effect, though I didn't use it long enough to really evaluate. I too have heard all good reviews from others who have used it.

Let me re-iterate what I am saying- I will never ever use Quiessence- let your VETERINARIAN read the 'fine print' ingredients, you will barf when you find out what is in the ingredients and what you are feeding your horse. The ingredients in Quiessence is NOTHING like Remission, maybe when you read the 'consumer' listed ingredients, it is, but let the VET read the 'fine print' ingredients and you will find out it is not...Ask Nita in Texas what it did to her horse at the World show.

Remission is way cheaper--check it out at www.horse.com--and works pretty much the same way when it comes to calming nervous horses, reducing fatty deposits and reducing the tendency to laminitis in some horses.

Edited to make my meaning more clear for a certain someone who has issues with comprehension.
default_rolleyes.gif

I do not want to reduce her weight, she is a harder keeper, and she is not near founder or lame ..i just want to ease her nerves a bit.

I used Remission for awhile on my insulin resistent halter and performance show mare and had to stop because it was calming her TOO much, which she did not need at all. My mare was not overweight or fat - just a heavy crest - and I saw no change in either of those areas. It is interesting that Remission (which is pretty much the same ingredients as Quiessence) doesn't mention this "calming" effect anywhere.

I switched my mare onto a low starch feed and am feeding her hay that is tested as low NSC, and she has never looked or acted better.

I used it on a paso mare and a quarter pony that are both have IR. My vet recommended it for to help control their IR. I have noticed that the paso is not as spooky.

Leeana,

I know you posted awhile back about this hard keeper and feeding her. Can you find a product called ADM Junior Glo. This is a soy based feed, not an oats/corn based feed. That might take the edge off, yet meet her nutritional needs. Here is the descript:

A source of energy that does not contribute to metabolic and digestive disorders and developmental orthopedic disorders (DOD) is a long-awaited breakthrough for the horse industry. JUNIORGLO, a Specialized Premium Blend product, contains the original stabilized rice bran, which is considered the best source of beneficial dietary fat for horses. JUNIORGLO, contains no whole corn or corn starch and is formulated by combining Stabilized Rice Bran, Omega Flax™, and Soy Shine® with protein, vitamin, and mineral sources to produce a unique feed that is more energy dense, thus lowering the feeding rate compared to traditional grain-based horse feeds. JUNIORGLO is a key component of FORAGE FIRST® programs and is the perfect fit for meeting the nutritional challenges faced by young, growing horses. FORAGE FIRST programs combine good-quality forage, GROSTRONG® vitamin-mineral products, and Specialized Premium Blends to produce balanced total rations. With this combination of feeds, horses can be healthy and perform at their best when fed less grain than they would receive from traditional horse rations. Consequently, horses are at less risk of metabolic and digestive disorders and DOD that may result from high-starch intake. Stabilized rice bran is the foundation of Alliance Nutrition’s Specialized Premium Blend products.

When I first got my new pony I looked into the Quissience/quietex products and discovered a lot obout the reasons they work. It has to do with a vitamin/mineral difficiency relating to B vitamins and magnesium. The lack of these in the proper ratio affects the nercous system of the horse and thus can result in a horse who acts nervous or tense. It affects their ability to relax and to concentrate. I found supplimenting with a B vitamin suppliment and a good all purpose vitamin/mineral suppliment that included magnesium calmed my horse VERY well. (I used Farnam products for both of these, the vitamin/mineral suppliment had adequate levels of magnesium but the levels of B vitamins were not high enough on its own to provide the calming affect, thus I added the extra B specific suppliment). It was MUCH less expensive (ie a third of the cost) for this than for the Quiessience.

I use vitamin B crumbles. I love them, they work wonders but dont make them sleepy. It just seems to calm there nerves. Its $40.00 for a small tub and you give them a scoop or two a day depending on the horse. I was given a small sample from a friend and I have used it since.

Mag and B-1 will "Not" make a horse sleepy!!! It will take the edge off. When I noticed Dyfra having issues with everyday life.. I had the Vet take some blood and she had an deficiency. Even with 6 years of training and working at her at her own pace, if she is taken off her Mag & B-1 supplement, she goes right back being the super over sensetive and super over reactive horse. She really needs that supplement.

What will make a horse sleepy is some of the herbal calming supplements and L-Tryptophan will also make a horse sleepy. One reason I don't use products that have those ingredients.

Is why I highly recommend "command serene". I will be testing Smark Packs, simple calming supplement shortly.

Latest posts

Back