quick question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Horse Acres

Reaction score
My daughter is writing a paper on one of our rescued mini's and for the life of me I can't remember what the vet called his eye injury. His eye had been damaged at some point in his life and had shriviled up and shrunk into his skull so of course he had to have the eye amputated when we rescued him but I can not remember what the vet called what happened to his eye. Can anyone help me with the terminology?

Thanks!

Oh and for anyone that might remember him this was the horse we nicknamed Dizzy and he is doing great.

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but chronic uveitis (inflammation in the eye due to injury or disease) can cause the eye to atrophy and shrink, requiring enucleation (total removal of the eye and globe contents). It could also be from other things, lacerations, etc. Chronic uveitis can be called moon blindness also in the horse world.

Maybe this will be of help.

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but chronic uveitis (inflammation in the eye due to injury or disease) can cause the eye to atrophy and shrink, requiring enucleation (total removal of the eye and globe contents). It could also be from other things, lacerations, etc. Chronic uveitis can be called moon blindness also in the horse world.

Maybe this will be of help.

That might have been what the vet called it, but that just does not sound familiar. I do remember that he said the eye had been damaged by a foreign object so I assume when he removed the eye he found some damage that lead him to beleive that. I have seen horses loose sight and the eye turn milky. But this eye was dead. In fact when We first rescued him I did not realize he even still had his eye at first. I thought it had already been removed by the injury then we later discovered when we cleaned him up that the eye was like shriveled and dead deap inside the socket. Part of the reason the vet waited on the sergury as it was not an open wound and it allowed us time to get his strength up before they did sergury on him. When we first got them he was so skinny and dehydrated that he might not have survived the sergury.

The procedure to remove the eye is: Enucleation. If the eye was collapsed and almost non-existant....he may have called it Atrophied.

Latest posts

Back