quick plant question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esty

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wanting to plant a row of Arborvitae between my stallion runs. Has anyone had this shrub in thier horse field? Just wondering if they are going to try to eat it and if it would hurt them if they did. The two fields are about 2-3 acres each. I am just trying to keep them from being on the fence line so much. If this isnt a good plant could someone suggest one that would be.

Thanks

Esty

While I don't think any tree is good for them, from what I know arborvitea is not toxic. They will eat the small trees, probably killing them. I do think that a hot wire is much more efficient than several hundred dollars in arborvitea trees. I've looked into using them as a privacy fence in front of our house, outside of the fenced in area.

This largely depends on the geographical region in which you live. However, some landscape plants documented as having toxicity to horses are arborvitae, boxwood, bittersweet, creeping charlie, some ivies, Japanese yew, oleander, some ornamental grasses, philodendron, rhododendron, Prunus species like chokecherry, serviceberry, and cherry, and shamrocks, among others

Latest posts

Back